I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Statins for advanced Pca

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 11:21
Recent research seems to back up a previous study suggesting that men with advanced Pca who were on hormones and were also given statins had a longer time before becoming castrate-resistant.

My husband discussed this with his GP, who agreed it was a good idea and had no hesitation in prescibing Simvasatin for him. What puzzles us is why the oncologist has not suggested this. Statins are relatively cheap, have few side effects, and may also reduce cholesterol levels.

Has anyone else with advanced, metastatic Pca been prescribed statins? Or is there some reason not to take them?

Marje

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 20:58
Although my OH doesn't have advanced PCa he has been on statins for quite a few years. He was originally prescribed Simvastin, this is the cheapest to prescribe, but he did suffer from various side effects and when he had a heart attack (when taking Simvastin) the hospital switched him to another type - only a letter from the hospital to our GP got the prescription changed permanently!

He attends a cardiac support group and while a large number of people have had no side effects from Simvastin there are quite a few who have changed their statin brand due to aches / pains and muscle weakness. There is no doubt that Simvastin lowers cholesterol but it may actually cause some users additional discomfort.

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 19:58
Interesting comments about the Simvastin Statin, my OH had terrible aches and pains but GP did tests to say they were not caused by the statins. We have asked for a change of brand, but to no avail. I think your comments about costs answer us as to why. Not fair, we all have enough to contend with dealing with PCa never mind side effects from statins so we will definitely ask for an alternative to try.

Thank you for the information.

Alison