Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Five 1/2 years since DX

User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 21:02
Hello People

A rather balanced and much calmer Bazza reporting my five and a half years since diagnosis. I have accepted my fate. I don't agree with it, I hate it and I despise what it will eventually do to my body and my family but my way of sticking two fingers up is to enjoy my life as best I can. In my case, this means copious amounts of delicious Merlot, lots of travel and to eat what I f****** well want. Going dairy free and drinking gallons of green tea is not going to extend my life. A positive outlook, a trial here and a trial there and a daily zest for life probably will though.

So, despite the bugger being in my lymph nodes, albeit microscopically, I'm going down, slowly, very slowly, extremely slowly. Life is great, cancer is s***, but the beauty and the pleasure of life always wins over the misery that is cancer. Yes, it will eventually debilitate and take me - but millions have gone the same path as me. I am not unique, nor special. I am me. This is my journey. It is not the one I planned but I will finish it on my terms!

Edited by member 29 Jun 2015 at 08:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 21:56

I'm limited in intelligence as to what to exactly say. But I can only admire your strength and resolve to be honest. But your taste in red wine sucks mate. Merlot ? Really ?? Only joking , don't take it personally.
You are Spartacus. And u have control. And it's on your own terms.
Respect , Chris

User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 22:22

Good for you.
Kick it up the backside.
Maybe you can't beat it in the long term but you can give cancer a run for its money.
Well done.
I wish you complete enjoyment of every mouthful of merlot !
All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 22:26

Brilliant outlook Bazza, it's the only way as far as I am concerned with those that worry too much about every ache and pain and possibility missing valuable time on the chill couch.

Yes it is a devastating illness for all concerned together with their families but live for today, make the most of today, tomorrow never comes it's always today.

No regrets Bazza keep cheerful and carry on sticking your fingers up

Regards, Chris/Woody

Life is seen differently upside down, take another viewpoint!!

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 00:48

My friend, I can hardly believe it is the same old Bazza posting an update like this :-0 I think Chris J would benefit from reading some of your old posts - it has struck me a number of times recently how similar his angst has been to your back story.

You will do this on your terms and I hope those microscopic b*****ds stay microscopic for years and years, at least long enough for you to spend all your money on good wine and holidays!

You are often in my thoughts and I am always pleased to see news from you xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 07:58
Hi Bazza
i guess our situations are similar but you are 4 and a half years ahead of me (I hope). I admire your attitude and hope that in the years to come you can continue to write such encouraging words just change the time since diagnosis and that I and all others on this forum will be here to read them.
Take care and don't stop believing.
Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 08:29
Bazza
You sound fantastic, just seeing you post has cheered me up a bit, you know how much your writing lifted me and Mick when he was going through his desperately difficult journey.
Lyn is spot on Chris you should read Bazza's profile in it you will find a link to his blog which has a full and beautifully written account of his battles with PCa .
Merlot....mmm not the one for me wrong grape and wrong colour but we all have our favourites!

Loving your attitude
Best wishes as always
Xx
Mo
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 08:35

Hi Bazza,

I hope "it" doesn't take you. Five and a half years ago (by my reckoning), we didn't have (or it wasn't very common): abiratone, enzalutamide, cabazitaxel, radium-223, knowing the use of early chemotherapy can extend life for advanced PCa, etc.

I'm sure the next five and a half years will bring more hope to all.

Flexi

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 08:46
You are all missing a trick. You are right. Merlot is usually red wine vinegar. However, Gallot Merlot is the most delicious, unctuous, smooth and fruity red. I don't like spicy, complex reds, just something I can quaff with my food.
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 08:49

And it's currently on offer. Instead of £8 a bottle, it's 2 for £10 in Asda. Hurry!

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 09:28

Right , thanks everyone. Im off to read Bazza's blog now. Gallo wines are yum -- I have to say.. Im a Rioja kind of guy , especially if made with Tempranillo grapes.. Either that or a good Shiraz . Best wishes

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 12:25

Sorry I am a bit late posting Bazza but there was a HUGE que in Asdahttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif. It is uplifting to read your post as we are in the same boat it has taken a long time to come to terms with the future but we can't change the prognosis so we are trying as much as possible to enjoy life in the here and know.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 19:02

None of us can realistically change our future.

Perhaps all we can do for our loved ones is to continue making the most fantastic and long lasting memories.

Enjoy your liquid grapes

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 19:16

Great post! My OH is coming up for 3 years since DX. Our favourite tipple is Old Vine Zinfandel, usually from Sainsburys! I agree with you, we eat well, enjoy what we like and we've just come back from our 7th wedding anniversary long weekend in Patterdale, where we did Birks, St Sunday Crag and Grisedale tarn as one of our walks!

Take care

Glen

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 22:15

Hi Barry

It was great meeting you in Belfast and seeing how you have coped - we have much in common http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

I haven't given up yet (Chemo tomorrow) nor do I intend to http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Nil desperandum
Allister
User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 07:33
Wrong Barry Allister. We've never met but you have helped me with your words immensely.
User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 09:44

Hi Barry,

what a great post from you after your earlier postings, great to see you sounding positive, so, perhaps we'll see you at Leicester next year? Or even Euston in December??

Well done,

Chris.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 10:06

I'm just off to my local Asda after your recommendation. Hope the tipple sees off some of those microscopic cells for you, Bazza. Enjoy !

Fiona. xx

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 13:26

What an upbeat super post. Your positive attitude sounds just like my hubby's we are dealt our hand of cards and play them to the best of our ability. Enjoy your life. Xx

User
Posted 02 Jul 2015 at 05:37
Love the attitude Bazza. I'm approaching 2years since Dx but more importantly I just bought 4 bottles of quality Margeret River Merlot for $9 each....absolute bargain!

Long may you fight!

Chris