I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

It's all getting a bit real

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 13:31

Time is getting closer and hubby will have his Da Vinci surgery on 9th July, he will be having his Pre-Op this Thursday and also seeing the Urology Nurse who will talk him through the Op and everything afterwards. Just want to say thanks to everyone for their support and wisdom in the run up to this, I joined the Forum in November so it has been a long road to get to here. I have 19 days off work with Hubby so I am sure he will want to throw me out of the house by the time I do go back on 27th July!!

Trish x

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 13:50

I just cant wish you enough luck and best wishes . It hasn't been easy, and its as hard for the wife as the husband -- Its a team thing isn't it. Im sure you will be ok and I know EXACTLY what hubby is feeling right now.
Do it together -- I don't think id be here if it wasn't for my beautiful wife and her strong back .
All the best Chris and El xx

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 21:24

Aaaaaagggghhhh - avoid rubber sheet if at all possible - they are horribly hot to sleep on. These days you can get waterproof sheets that feel like normal material - Dunelm sells an own make version if you have a store nearby?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 21:45
Thinking of you
Lots of hugs
Xx
Mo
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 21:52

I knew it would all go downhill. Ky jelly , rubber sheets ! C"mon.
Rubber sheets are a no-no. The hospital bed mattresses are covered in rubber and I've sweated so much in the last 2 wks I look like I've had a thoroughly spanked bottom indeed. Not pleasant. Puzzles were my saviour and borrowed a portable DVD player and caught up with the classic Aliens quadrology. Epic

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 22:43

I fear that you may arrive, or be ready, prematurely?

You still have more than 10 days to get the kit and the support paraphernalia in place. You will be fine, and deal with any surprises as and when they happen, because you are working as a team.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 09:05

Or there is always the option of the smaller one way sheets for a child's cot bed/cot. You can get washable ones and they would be easier to wash than a full sheet.
They are also available from disability shops but you'd probably pay a lot more in there for virtually the same thing.

Plastic underneath but with a quilted one way padding on the top so not quite so noticeable as a rubber sheet.

All the best
Sandra

Edited dull sheet for full sheet !!

Edited by member 30 Jun 2015 at 12:51  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 13:50

I just cant wish you enough luck and best wishes . It hasn't been easy, and its as hard for the wife as the husband -- Its a team thing isn't it. Im sure you will be ok and I know EXACTLY what hubby is feeling right now.
Do it together -- I don't think id be here if it wasn't for my beautiful wife and her strong back .
All the best Chris and El xx

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 16:56
Fully agree about being a team Chris, he knows I am there all the way.

Trish
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 17:22

Shopping trip time then Trish? Have you got all of the following in store?

Jogging / lounge pants / pyjama bottoms - preferably with drawstring waist in a dark colour
Pants (not boxers) in a size larger than usual
Bucket
Waterproof sheet or waterproof pads
Peppermint tea
Books, puzzles, ipod etc

When you see the nurse, ask whether they will provide local anaesthetic gel for the eye of his penis while catheter is in situ - if not, check whether KY jelly will be okay with whichever brand of catheter tube they use. Also, will they be providing incontinence pads when catheter is removed or do you need to be referred to district nursing or do you have to buy your own? If buying, try Tena for Men which are softer than the Boots own brand ones and are often on offer at Morrisons, Tesco, etc.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 18:56

Good luck to the other half  Stuart for the pre-op on Thursday Trish.
Please accept early best wishes for the 9th. I shall be away from home and computerless (unless I can get my phone to work !)
Hope all goes well for your man.
Sandra

Edited by member 29 Jun 2015 at 19:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 19:37
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Shopping trip time then Trish? Have you got all of the following in store?

Jogging / lounge pants / pyjama bottoms - preferably with drawstring waist in a dark colour
Pants (not boxers) in a size larger than usual
Bucket
Waterproof sheet or waterproof pads
Peppermint tea
Books, puzzles, ipod etc

When you see the nurse, ask whether they will provide local anaesthetic gel for the eye of his penis while catheter is in situ - if not, check whether KY jelly will be okay with whichever brand of catheter tube they use. Also, will they be providing incontinence pads when catheter is removed or do you need to be referred to district nursing or do you have to buy your own? If buying, try Tena for Men which are softer than the Boots own brand ones and are often on offer at Morrisons, Tesco, etc.

Thanks Lyn,

You're so helpful! He has those tight boxers will they do or does it have to be pants? I didn't even think of a rubber sheet but I have everything else including the Tena level 2 from Amazon. He is going private but our amazing GP got him the exception card for free prescriptions and we just bring him the private one and he changes it to NHS. He will also refer him to incontinence nurse, we only have private because my work pay for it.

Sandra thanks for you're good wishes too, feeling nervous for him but I know it will be fine.

Trish x
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 19:51

Hope all goes well. Agree with Lyn, make sure you are informed of the follow up arrangements and what to expect ! Best wishes,

Fiona.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 21:24

Aaaaaagggghhhh - avoid rubber sheet if at all possible - they are horribly hot to sleep on. These days you can get waterproof sheets that feel like normal material - Dunelm sells an own make version if you have a store nearby?

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 21:45
Thinking of you
Lots of hugs
Xx
Mo
User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 21:52

I knew it would all go downhill. Ky jelly , rubber sheets ! C"mon.
Rubber sheets are a no-no. The hospital bed mattresses are covered in rubber and I've sweated so much in the last 2 wks I look like I've had a thoroughly spanked bottom indeed. Not pleasant. Puzzles were my saviour and borrowed a portable DVD player and caught up with the classic Aliens quadrology. Epic

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 22:43

I fear that you may arrive, or be ready, prematurely?

You still have more than 10 days to get the kit and the support paraphernalia in place. You will be fine, and deal with any surprises as and when they happen, because you are working as a team.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 22:53
Thanks all, yes I have a Dunelm near me. Can always hop in car if needed

Trish
User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 09:05

Or there is always the option of the smaller one way sheets for a child's cot bed/cot. You can get washable ones and they would be easier to wash than a full sheet.
They are also available from disability shops but you'd probably pay a lot more in there for virtually the same thing.

Plastic underneath but with a quilted one way padding on the top so not quite so noticeable as a rubber sheet.

All the best
Sandra

Edited dull sheet for full sheet !!

Edited by member 30 Jun 2015 at 12:51  | Reason: Not specified