I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I'm addicted!

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 11:32

Since my prostate was removed in April as soon as I was able (my catheter was still in place at the time) I decided to walk a particular woodland route every day, to enjoy an activity outside of the house, to use it to measure my progress and learn how to come to terms with and control my incontinence as well.

I decided on the same route, about two miles, a circular walk through a wood about 5 miles from us. When I started all of the trees (no fir trees thank goodness) were bare of leaves, it was muddy, it was cold and the weather was not that good. Except for about 5 days I have walked this route every day since. I have watched the leaves come out, the weather has improved, the blubells and wild garlic plants have come and gone and everthing else in the wood has now grown to the point where they are overwhelming the footpaths. Stunning!

Yesterday the weather was so nice I did the walk twice! My wife laughing as she said it, ascussed me of being addicted to the place! In a funny kind of way I suppose I am. I nearly trod on a fox yesterday as he was slumbering in the grass, he was so suprised (me too) and ran off like a rocket. I was surprised by a young deer last week, it seemed to spring up from nowhere! Boy, can they run!

My spirits have been lifted, I feel good and feel fit, I do my best thinking when on my circuit and the best thing of all, I am not tempted by daytime television!

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 20:07
Hi,

Sounds really nice. I'm really lucky as I have woodland within two hundred yards of my front door.

Enjoy every moment. I think when you receive a PCa diagnosis, it does focus your mind on what's beautiful in your life.

Steve

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 21:03

I live 4 minutes from the New Forest in Hampshire , and 15 minutes from the beach overlooking the Isle of Wight. I'm a northerner been down here 30 yrs , and my wife is Scottish haha. Grrrr I hear you southerners say. We have 2 dogs ( who needs two I say to her ) , and since I retired it's my job everyday to walk them for at least 45 mins. I'm unbelievably lucky but struggling at the mo physically.
I was recently taught MINDFULNESS at a course , which teaches you to only ever look at the " here and now " and everything that is going on around you , rather than worrying / projecting all the time etc. It's helpful.
I'm so pleased Gunwharfman you feel like this. And it is so therapeutic to you without a doubt. Anything that makes you feel good is an absolute bonus , and I wish u the best
Chris

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 22:13

The walk is not only helping you to keep mobile and fit it is also a reminder of how far you have come and the changing seasons mark each phase of your recovery.

Enjoy your "little" walk. I know you do much further than this.

Addicted - maybe - but what a "healthy" addiction

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Jul 2015 at 11:47

Hi
Sounds great there is nothing like the countryside for giving you time to think ,work things out and put them in place. Will help to keep you fit, you should take a camera and record it.
Good look with the recovery.
KEEP POSITIVE
Alan