Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting Xgeva

User
Posted 02 Jul 2015 at 01:53
Hi all,

It's been 20 months since I started this journey. 20 Degarelix injections. PSA moved from 4 in Feb 2015 to 7 in June. So I've started Casodex a month ago, All other markers (including ALP) are ok. Had a session with the Oncologist two weeks back and she has sent me off to a dentist for a report in relation to Xgeva. The plan is to give me monthly shots (I have bone mets). The game plan is to delay radiation and/or chemo.

I have only been to a dentist once in my life. Haven't had any outward probs with teeth. Clean and mouth wash regularly. Although I do know I grind my teeth when sleeping! At the dentist I sat in the chair and before he even examined my mouth he asked if I had private health insurance!! (Freudian slip??). He then proceeded with the examination. A few "small" ex rays (a l"big" one at the local path centre later) and a brief examination. He then told me I had a gum disease and he would need to clean my teeth ($25 a tooth). He also told me I would need to wear a guard when sleeping to stop grinding. He also told me he needed a blood test about something to do with blood flow to the teeth (??). He asked for my GPs email as he couldn't authorise this himself.

At this stage I asked him to re-read the letter from the oncologist....which only asked for a report from him regarding the status of my mouth in relation to starting Xgeva. He didn't appear to like my clarification. I paid the $170 for 15 mins...and he booked me in for a meeting prior to me going back to the oncologist on July 21.

I am having my Degarelix shot today and will discuss this with my GP (fantastic Dr).

Sorry for the pre-amble but I wanted to frame my questions free of the sour taste (pun intended) the dentist left in my mouth.

So, before commencing Xgeva what are the pre-conditions required regarding teeth gums etc. I appreciate any information on this.

Thanks

Chris