Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New member here.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 21:12

Hello Friends,

my name is Francesco, otherwise known as Frank.

1st of July 2015 was a good day until my wife and I went to see the urologist for the results of my recent prostate biopsy, during which 16 samples were taken. Not too pleasant but it didn't hurt.

So the bad news is that I have prostate cancer and it's aggressive. Definitely not what my wife wanted to hear! As for myself, it wasn't the best news, but a week before, my GP practically gave me a strong hint that I had cancer, so I've tried to prepare for the news.  Looking at her computer monitor, the doctor just stared at the screen and was quiet.

After I had the biopsy, 1 of the doctors in the operating theatre discussed my position. He checked my prostate twice, before the biopsy. What puzzled him was that my PSA level was very low. I think either 0.04 or 0.09, something like that.

All 16 samples contained cancer.  My Gleason score is 3+5  and my T stage is T3.

1I've already begun my hormone therapy tablets, Cyproterone for 3 weeks, 3 a day.  Next Monday, I go to my GP for an injection, I can't remember which one.  These will be for 3 months.  After that I probably need radiotherapy.  Friday this week I go for MRI scan to see how bad I am!  I don't know anymore I'm afraid, all this is strange and new. It's bad enough being type 2 diabetic.

Tomorrow I see my GP to ask questions and seek further information.

Frank, bewildered, but still a little cheerful.

Edited by moderator 08 Jul 2015 at 10:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 21:28

Hi Frank, sorry you have had such a slow/rough ride so far but It seems that your cancer may be confined to the prostate by what you are saying and as you are already on HT your treatment is on its way forward.

I can tell you that my PCa is confined to the prostate and I was diagnosed in Feb this year, my PSA was 63, after 6months on hormone therapy my last blood test showed the PSA as .05 this tells me that HT is working and has reduced my cancer to something smaller than when I started.

I am on 6th week of RT now and hoping that it will finish the bloody disease off for good.

Hopefully your situation will be the same and even with the wait for RT in Jan it is likely that HT will shrink the tumour and it is working on it now.

It is frustrating for you to know that there has been a delay in the starting of your treatment through no fault of your own. It is worth following up all the appointments that you have now with phone calls etc to chase those involved rather than wait for someone to get in touch with you and potentially get forgotten again.

I hope all goes well from now on.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 22:23

Hello Maureen,

thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it!  My experience so far on this forum, is how friendly everyone is.

I look forward to meeting my oncologist on Wednesday morning, so far, I've only heard good things about her work.

This afternoon, I had about 30 minutes discussion with a woman I used to be in school with, and still see at my work place, as a customer from time to time.  She banged on about my picking up the phone and contact the Royal Marsden and get cracking with my treatment!  She ignored the fact that I explained that my treatment is practically around the corner, why phone anyone else?  She didn't upset me - the result was I was at work 30 minutes longer than I needed to be! And this lady has got cancer herself!  I certainly didn't suggest how she ought to take care of herself!

Sorry about that! :D  But I do thank you once again, Maureen.

Frank.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 23:04

That hormone treatment you are on is incredibly important - it is starving the cancer and weakening the structure of the cells so the longer you are on it before RT starts the better the outcome is likely to be. I know it is hard but try to be patient and confident of your treatment plan in equal measure

Edited by member 20 Oct 2015 at 01:17  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 00:04

Hi Frank,

As you have most likely come to realize, PSA is not a very accurate tool, that is why so much research is going on to try to find a better indicator. A very high PSA at diagnosis generally indicates cancer and probably a more advanced stage whereas the chance of cancer diminishes as the figure is much lower. However, in a relatively small number of cases there can be cancer and even in even fewer instances extensive cancer with an extremely low PSA.

Because radiation works over about 2 years it can take a long time to learn how successful the RT has been and some cancers prove to be a more radio-resistant than others. HT also generally lowers PSA considerably early on. Regular PSA tests usually provide a better indicator post treatment but if you start with a very low PSA this might not be a good indicator of progression. Certainly worth asking your consultant about.

Barry
User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 10:19

Hi Old1,

My partner also had a very low PSA 6.4 on diagnosis, yet was Gleason 10 and spread to bone , lymph and soft tissue, very aggressive disease. As with Si, one of our oncologists commented that PSA was not a useful indicator of the extent and spread of the disease as it was an aggressive tumour but low PSA secreter.

Similarly, it was much more important to have regular scans to chart the progression of the disease, though when it spread to the liver and further bone involvement, the PSA did double to about 1.2. It's why I never generalise on PCa !

Other mens cases are, of course, different !

Best wishes, Fiona.

Edited by member 21 Oct 2015 at 10:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 11:50

Hi Frank,

If the PSA figure range you gave on diagnosis is correct, these are exceptionally low, far lower than even those of Si whose consultant considered scans would be more appropriate to monitor progress than PSA. This was my thought but I hesitated to say so, as I was once rebuked by a member for suggesting a 'likely' course of action which in the event was not followed.

If scans are so helpful in these circumstances, it is reasonable to ask why not use as a regular monitor instead of or together with PSA checks? PSA tests cost a fraction of the cost of a suitable scan and the NHS would have neither the machines nor sufficient radiologists for the purpose. The use of scans is therefore generally restricted to special cases or situations or in some trials.

It would be interesting to learn why you had a PSA and then a biopsy with a low PSA in the first place or was this done following a DRE (Digital Rear Examination) and symptoms.

Please let us know how the consultation goes.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Nov 2015 at 22:47
Hi Frank

This was my experience with RT:

I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy and apart from the early start and the travelling it wasn't a problem. First I had to have a scan where they check the prostate and make 3 small tattoos so they can target the PCa correctly. They ask that you empty your bowels before hand and drink a bottle of water about 45-60 minutes before.

The radiotherapists were very good and told me well before hand when to drink the water so I wasn't waiting too long after having it. One thing I learnt from other men having the treatment was to take a bottle of water as the water in the drinking fountain was far too cold.

The treatment apart from dressing and undressing didn't take too long, about 2-3 minutes on the table. I was told that I might get some soreness at the rear end and to get some aqueous cream to relieve it. Fortunately I didn't get much soreness but the cream did help.

Hope all goes well, keep us all informed as you'll get a lot of help and support here.

Best wishes, Arthur

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 22:10

Hi Frank,
do you have a letter with the details of your diagnosis? Did they say you had adenocarcinoma or a different type of prostate cancer? There are about 27 types in all and while men with the common type tend to have a raised PSA there are some types that do not so maybe you have one of those?

It is good news that they are planning to give you radiotherapy - they must think there is a chance of getting rid of it. It is also good news that the first number in your Gleason score is a 3 - much better to handle than a 5+3 would be.

It is against the rules to name doctors, nurses etc so perhaps edit your post before the moderators come along - just put Dr S or something like that.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 22:41

Hi Frank

You've come to a good place for support. It's worth having a look at the information page of PCUK. Loads of downloadable information there re PCa and treatments etc.

If you can provide as much info as possible that will help us to support you

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 05:06

hi frank

hello and glad you joined this site, dont know what other posts you will have read already but one thing is for sure the help and advice on here is great.

normal advice is click on others avatars to see who and how they are, get the toolkit its fantastic advice, talk with the specalist nurses, and keep us informed as you go along

you may still be trying to get your head around what is happening, the waiting for anything to happen ie tests and results, you may or maynot have told family or friends

what you will find out is that everyone deals with this PCa differently their is no set way only your way.

if you feel their is one person in paticular you want to ask a question of then just PM them they will not mind

kep logging have a read how others are doing feel free to ask or make comments no one will judge you

I to try to take pics especially wildlife, their is also nikonsteve but he is out of my league

lots on here who do regular excecise

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 08:01
Hi Frank,

I just want to welcome you to the forum, the advice and support on here is second to none. Make sure you share your feelings with your wife because you will need each other over the coming months.

Best wishes,

Trish

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 11:54
Frank

I just wanted to say hi you have signed onto a really friendly forum so you are never alone in your journey. I am sure you will have lots of questions.

Being a type 2 diabetic should not cause any additional problems certainly not with your current HT or RT. However If you are advised at any stage to use a drug called Abiraterone or any treatments that require use of steroids to supplement them then seek advice from your diabetic nurse. Steroids cause blood sugar to rise significantly and sometimes T2diabetic patients need extra diabetes drugs or increased /different type of insulin during the use of steroids. It is usually only a temporary thing.

There are several other active members on here with T2 diabetes.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 12:42

Best wishes and welcome from Chris and Elaine. Any help you need , or any advice , and Hey Presto. Everyone is here for you x

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 14:02

Welcome Frank. I am a type 2 diabetic and been on HT for over three and a half years with no problems related to the diabetes. As Mo has said above if you ever reach aberiterone as an option it can unsettle the blood sugars but enxalutimide is an alternative. However you are a long long way from there and so hopefully if your bone scan is clear they have a curative approach using radiotherapy.

It is always a little daunting at the start but hopefully as you get used to it and have treatment you will get to feel relaxed and return fully to your life and living. Good luck on your journey and ask away, someone here always has the answer!

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 15:48

Hello Friends, 

thank you all so much for your warm welcome.  There are too many to name, so I've made a list and I'm trying to reply in sequence.

I'm sorry, I don't recall having a letter with the diagnosis.  I'll have to enquire with my GP.

Actually, I haven't much photography in last 18 months, but I'm still very much interested in it.

The hormone therapy tablets I'm on, for 3 weeks are - Cyproterone Acetate 100mg..

Next Monday I go to have 1 injection of 11.25mg' of Prostap, which should last for months; and I'll be on these for the long term.

My bone scan showed as negative.   At some point, I shall be offered radiotherapy.

This afternoon I've made contact with the secretary of a Urologist in South Wales. I've had the appointment, to see him at 7.20pm at Swansea, next Tuesday.

I've attempted to contact a 2nd Urologist, this time Cardiff, but I had to leave an answer-phone message.

Once again, thank you for accepting me as a member. It's all new, and it will take me a while to get used to a new forum.

Frank.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 17:06
Dear frank

Welcome to the site, the members so far have offered excellent advice, as always.

I would just like to add that my OH was treated in South Wales, so any advice in that respect, I may be able to help with.

We have a fantastic oncologist based at velindre in Cardiff who you may be referred to, I note you are seeing a Urologist first though, and do not want to rush you. The exact diagnosis can take a while, so once you know more, we can all offer more help and perhaps I can privately comment upon those professionals that we found to be useful.

Alison

User
Posted 10 Jul 2015 at 21:59

Hi Frank
Welcome to the site there's plenty of help here , I've had H/T & R/Th and there is great support .
You will find you will sort it out in your head, and you meet some great people during your treatment which makes you realise your not alone.
Good luck and keep posting it helps.

KEEP POSITIVE AND CARRY ON

Alan

User
Posted 10 Jul 2015 at 23:02

Hello Frank and welcome.

Can't add anything to what the others have said so really just to say glad you've found us, we'll do the best we can with questions and advice.

All the best to you and your other half. There are a number of wives/partners on here tell her and we all understand what you and she are going through.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 18 Jul 2015 at 20:32

Hello Friends,

as you can tell, I don't visit often, and it takes a while to type with 1 finger, but I manage.

Even though my head is all over the place, I'm feeling pretty good in myself and I'm in a good place, even though I have more information, after our meeting with our urologist consultant in Swansea.

He already had the MRI result of the scan a few days ago. It turns out that I have an aggressive form of small cancer cells, which aren't picked up with a PSA test. Also he believes the cancer is leakingfrom the bottom of my prostate. So an operation is out of the question, as it would probably do more harm than good.  It appears that my prostate is nearly full of cancer.  Furthermore, the consultant is to ask my local hospital for my biopsy samples - all 16 of them - so he can run a further test on them, so he can determine what we are dealing with.

What was  mentioned was the urgent need to bring forward my treatment of radiotherapy and chemotherapy, a lot sooner than the 3 months that was suggested at my local hospital. This gentleman is going to be in charge of my case, even as a supervisory role, and he expects me to return to NHS treatment, which is fine, as I don't have lottery funding! :D

Yesterday, Friday, the consultant and his team, plus the medical team from my local hospital, were to discuss my case. I was supposed to have a phone call in the afternoon, which never came. So I missed a wonderful afternoon at the beach, which always relaxes me. No worries, because what I really need to hear is the result of the extra tests on my biopsies, then to learn how soon all this wonderful treatment will begin.

As I say, I'm ok. I've had this past week off work, which was fortunate, I return on Monday morning, after going to my surgery for a blood test to see how my liver function is.  My brother ( my boss ) has said I can come and go as I please, which is nice. On Tuesday afternoon, my wife and I go for an appointment with the urology team at my local hospital. Since my first appointment with the local urogist on May 31st, what has happened to me since, appears to have been at a fast and furious pace, with more to follow I'm assuming.

But it is well with my soul, as my Christian faith continues to provide support in the spiritual dimension. Indeed, many of my Christian brothers and sisters are praying with me, as well as a few local churches. As far as I'm concerned, the future is bright, and I'm truly grateful for all the medical care and support I've received, and shall receive shortly.

Frank.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2015 at 20:53

Hello again Frank.

It's wonderful that you are so cheerful and positive and it's good that your faith gives you strength and support.

I'm sure you'll also hear from other Christians going through the same ordeal as yourself and who have also found their faith invaluable.

What a good job that your brother is supportive enough to tell you to come and go as you please, what a star!

Although the news you have received is not good, the mere fact that the attention has been "fast and furious" is brilliant.

Where would you be further down the line if there had been delays. You obviously do have a working guardian angel

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Jul 2015 at 21:27

Hello Johsan,

thank you for your kind words.

You may think my brother is a star, but he hasn't always been so generous, perhaps he thinks I'm at death's door!  When I was first diagnosed with heart disease about 18 months ago, it was several months before he accepted the seriousness of it.  Of course, his wife had to search on internet, to verify what I was saying was correct! Isn't that nice?  Well he didn't kick me out, but made sure I kept to light duties and computer work.  My brother has a Murco / Mace petrol station, which is fairly busy.

Ok, I'm still brand new to this forum, because I'm very slow learning new forums and how to get around them, I haven't looked anywhere else on this forum. I'm not trying to be rude, just lazy.  Just as I am with the diabetic forum I visit sometimes.

I read on the MenUnited website, an article suggesting that the earlier I get chemotherapy treatment, the better outcome I would get from a prolonged life?  Well, I emailed my consultant today, not expecting a reply - but he did!  He is back in his office next Friday.  I'm assuming that he will then get busy re-examining my biopsies for further tests, before coming to a plan of action. In the meantime, I see a local urologist on Tuesday afternoon, who be able to fill in details.

So it's head up - keeping positive, I've had a really good weekend, encouraged by the sunshine. I'm not miserable for long, whatever the situation!

Frank.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2015 at 23:14

Glad you are so upbeat Frank and hopefully that treatment plan will be sorted soon.

There has definitely been some research into the benefits of early chemo but will let others give you the detail.

One thing you may want to know about this forum is that it is accessible...so anything you post on hear can be seen by anyone who does a search on Google etc.

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 23 Jul 2015 at 22:01

Hello Friends,

I haven't been here for a while, as I simply don't have any updates.

I emailed my consultant tonight, who is due back at work tomorrow morning.  I'm hoping that I get a reply from him before lunch tomorrow, as my wife and I go to Newport, Gwent to see our son and his family for 4 days. I'm looking forward to a change of scenery, that's for sure.

Last time we met the consultant, he wanted to carry out 2 further tests on my biopsies.  Will he have received them by tomorrow - I don't know.  Results of these tests should help him determine what is the next step in my treatment.

Has any other member had radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment, sooner than is usual?  And what may the time-table be?  Of course I understand that we are all different and may not necessarily have a similar treatment programme.  It's just that family and friends keep asking questions that I can't answer as yet.

Thank you,

Frank.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 21:04

Hello Friends,

I apologise for the long delay, I simply mislaid my log-in details, which I found tonight within my Toolkit folder!

In the meantime, the specialist I saw for a 2nd opinion, simply did not make any further contact - very nice.  So during August, my wife and I took a trip to London to see another urologist specialist, so I could enquire if I could be treated with NanoKnife or Hifu. The short answer was no. Simply because of my heart disease and also because my prostate is almost full of cancer. Therefore, our trip home on the train was not pleasant, even if the sun was shining brightly. The only treatment available to me is radiotherapy.

After arriving home, my wife and I looked through the urology report we had from our local hospital. It wasn't presented in an orderly fashion at all. The piece of paper that ought to have been at the top of the pile, was discovered in the middle of the stack of papers.  This was the original letter that my GP had sent to the urology department of our local hospital. It was dated 21st January 2015.  The letter was titled in bold print  URGENT  SUSPECTED  CANCER.  Now some bright spark, I'm assuming in urology had put a rubber stamp right next to these words, and instead of ticking URGENT, had put a tick next to the word ROUTINE - very nice.  You can imagine our surprise on discovering that letter in August this year.  As I didn't see my urologist until 13th May 2015, 4 months has been wasted!

Ok, I'm on hormone therapy already, so some form of treatment has begun, and we go to visit the oncologist on Wednesday morning. So things are slowly moving along.  But in my head, if radiotherapy doesn't begin until January 2016, this means that the cancer within me has had 12 months of attempting to give me hell.  Unless of course the hormone therapy is doing it's thing.

Frank.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 21:28

Hi Frank, sorry you have had such a slow/rough ride so far but It seems that your cancer may be confined to the prostate by what you are saying and as you are already on HT your treatment is on its way forward.

I can tell you that my PCa is confined to the prostate and I was diagnosed in Feb this year, my PSA was 63, after 6months on hormone therapy my last blood test showed the PSA as .05 this tells me that HT is working and has reduced my cancer to something smaller than when I started.

I am on 6th week of RT now and hoping that it will finish the bloody disease off for good.

Hopefully your situation will be the same and even with the wait for RT in Jan it is likely that HT will shrink the tumour and it is working on it now.

It is frustrating for you to know that there has been a delay in the starting of your treatment through no fault of your own. It is worth following up all the appointments that you have now with phone calls etc to chase those involved rather than wait for someone to get in touch with you and potentially get forgotten again.

I hope all goes well from now on.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 21:43

Hello Puffingbilly,

thank you for your reply. Good luck with your treatment!

I forgot to add, that in my case my PSA only showed 0.9 according to my urologist. Yet later on after the MRI scan result, I was told that my prostate was almost full of cancer, four fifths or something like that.

The specialist in London told us that my cancer appears to have 'leaked' to my seminal vessicles. This is the reason, why I worry if it has spread any further.  Also I had my second injection of prostrap, about 3 weeks ago.

I'll see what the oncologist has to say.

Frank.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 21:56
Frank

I've replied to your post on my thread about Steve's RT already. If you have any questions when you've been to see the oncologist feel free to PM me if you want to. Steve is also on Prostrap.

Once again, all the best with your consultation.

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 22:23

Hello Maureen,

thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it!  My experience so far on this forum, is how friendly everyone is.

I look forward to meeting my oncologist on Wednesday morning, so far, I've only heard good things about her work.

This afternoon, I had about 30 minutes discussion with a woman I used to be in school with, and still see at my work place, as a customer from time to time.  She banged on about my picking up the phone and contact the Royal Marsden and get cracking with my treatment!  She ignored the fact that I explained that my treatment is practically around the corner, why phone anyone else?  She didn't upset me - the result was I was at work 30 minutes longer than I needed to be! And this lady has got cancer herself!  I certainly didn't suggest how she ought to take care of herself!

Sorry about that! :D  But I do thank you once again, Maureen.

Frank.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2015 at 23:04

That hormone treatment you are on is incredibly important - it is starving the cancer and weakening the structure of the cells so the longer you are on it before RT starts the better the outcome is likely to be. I know it is hard but try to be patient and confident of your treatment plan in equal measure

Edited by member 20 Oct 2015 at 01:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 20:42

Hello Lyn,

thank you so much for your post.

My appointment is 10.30am, and if we don't finish too late, my wife and I will visit our son in Cardiff for a few hours.

Frank.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 21:29

I've been reading other threads on the Treatment forum.

It seems after treatment, some members are worried about their PSA results.  So now I AM confused. On being diagnosed, my PSA result was 0.9, yet I was to learn later on, that my prostate is almost full cancer.  Tomorrow I go see my oncologist for the first meeting, to discuss radiotherapy treatment; so after I've had my treatment, what will they then be looking for?  Does a PSA test mean anything at all in my case?

I'm not really bothered at all about this. I will be asking the oncologist what sort of result they will be looking for, and would they be able to explain to me in plain English, whether or not my treatment will have been successful.

Frank.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 00:04

Hi Frank,

As you have most likely come to realize, PSA is not a very accurate tool, that is why so much research is going on to try to find a better indicator. A very high PSA at diagnosis generally indicates cancer and probably a more advanced stage whereas the chance of cancer diminishes as the figure is much lower. However, in a relatively small number of cases there can be cancer and even in even fewer instances extensive cancer with an extremely low PSA.

Because radiation works over about 2 years it can take a long time to learn how successful the RT has been and some cancers prove to be a more radio-resistant than others. HT also generally lowers PSA considerably early on. Regular PSA tests usually provide a better indicator post treatment but if you start with a very low PSA this might not be a good indicator of progression. Certainly worth asking your consultant about.

Barry
User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 09:36

Hi Barry

So, in your opinion if you start with a low PSA, what is a good indicator of progression ?

Is this not the main one used ?

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 09:45

Hi Old1

My PSA at diagnosis was 3.8 then 4.6 with extensive bone spread, my oncologist has me scanned every 12 weeks.

In his opinion PSA will give him no indication of progression only scans and pain.

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 10:19

Hi Old1,

My partner also had a very low PSA 6.4 on diagnosis, yet was Gleason 10 and spread to bone , lymph and soft tissue, very aggressive disease. As with Si, one of our oncologists commented that PSA was not a useful indicator of the extent and spread of the disease as it was an aggressive tumour but low PSA secreter.

Similarly, it was much more important to have regular scans to chart the progression of the disease, though when it spread to the liver and further bone involvement, the PSA did double to about 1.2. It's why I never generalise on PCa !

Other mens cases are, of course, different !

Best wishes, Fiona.

Edited by member 21 Oct 2015 at 10:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 11:39

I'm beginning to wonder whats the point in having PSA tests.

Contrary to that surly the lower the PSA like undetectable, or close to it, is what we are all aiming for ?

Again I'm assuming when you get these numbers, the majority will be feeling well ?

I have only had one Onco. visit, which was based around PSA results. My next visit will again be based on PSA results, providing of course  I remain as I am.

Sorry if i sound like a dum dum but this is sounding like a lottery, as you have said zarissa "Other mens cases are of course different"

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 11:50

Hi Frank,

If the PSA figure range you gave on diagnosis is correct, these are exceptionally low, far lower than even those of Si whose consultant considered scans would be more appropriate to monitor progress than PSA. This was my thought but I hesitated to say so, as I was once rebuked by a member for suggesting a 'likely' course of action which in the event was not followed.

If scans are so helpful in these circumstances, it is reasonable to ask why not use as a regular monitor instead of or together with PSA checks? PSA tests cost a fraction of the cost of a suitable scan and the NHS would have neither the machines nor sufficient radiologists for the purpose. The use of scans is therefore generally restricted to special cases or situations or in some trials.

It would be interesting to learn why you had a PSA and then a biopsy with a low PSA in the first place or was this done following a DRE (Digital Rear Examination) and symptoms.

Please let us know how the consultation goes.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Nov 2015 at 21:20

Hello Man with PC,

I apologise for missing for a few weeks. I believe I had all my tests done, after the urologist performed a DRE examination. I have an abnormality on the right side of my prostate. Plus my symptoms I would say are relatively severe. I worry about travelling, for example.

I can't remember much about my consultation, as I didn't make notes, and the chappy appeared to be in a hurry!

I have to wait really until I've had my third prostap injection, a few days after Christmas. I've been given a 2 page leaflet
discussing the low fibre diet, and was given a liquid laxative.

In 2 weeks time, I go for my CT scan and have tatoos placed on my belly. One thing that concerns me as I wait for radiotherapy, is being anxious about how much water I need to drink, and how long do I wait for the radiotherapy?

I had a meeting with a group of fellow cancer patients yesterday, with the Pembrokeshire Cancer Support group. Nice friendly people greeted me, and we had a lovely time. One gentleman who had radiotherapy on his prostate 18 months ago, really put me at ease. He said, he was told to sip 2 tumblers of water and had to wait 30 minutes before treatment. I hope I can manage that!

Frank.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2015 at 22:47
Hi Frank

This was my experience with RT:

I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy and apart from the early start and the travelling it wasn't a problem. First I had to have a scan where they check the prostate and make 3 small tattoos so they can target the PCa correctly. They ask that you empty your bowels before hand and drink a bottle of water about 45-60 minutes before.

The radiotherapists were very good and told me well before hand when to drink the water so I wasn't waiting too long after having it. One thing I learnt from other men having the treatment was to take a bottle of water as the water in the drinking fountain was far too cold.

The treatment apart from dressing and undressing didn't take too long, about 2-3 minutes on the table. I was told that I might get some soreness at the rear end and to get some aqueous cream to relieve it. Fortunately I didn't get much soreness but the cream did help.

Hope all goes well, keep us all informed as you'll get a lot of help and support here.

Best wishes, Arthur

User
Posted 11 Nov 2015 at 18:16

Hello Arthur, 

thank you very much for your reply.

In just under 2 weeks time, my wife and I go to the hospital, for the CT scan and to get the tatoos.  I shall try not to worry too much about the water intake and waiting!

How did other members get on with the low fibre diet?  Was it ok to deal with?  I'm not too concerned about this, food is food.  Someone has told me that it's a bland diet - well, so am I!!

I suppose I'll soon be looking forward to the RT treatment, possibly by January or February.  I'll know more just before Christmas, I think.

Frank.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 20:23

Hello Friends,

in 2 days time, I will have had my CT scan, I trust it will go well.

So far, I have managed ok with the low fibre diet.

However, it's been a different story with the laxative Magnesium Hydroxide.  Has anyone else had any problems using it?

I started taking it on Monday night, earlier this week.  It was ok, almost straight away from Tuesday morning, my bowel movements were diarrhoea, about 2 or 3 times a day.  By Friday the frequency increased to 4 times and was a bit painful. I phoned the hospital and spoke to the radiotherapy department, not sure which lady I spoke to, but she told me to continue taking it.  I was too dumb to look at the label on the bottle!

Saturday morning ( yesterday ), an hour after getting up, I went for 4 bowel movements in about 40 minutes and the pain was horrendous. So I phoned the hospital again, and was transferred to the Out Of Hours service and spoke to a lovely nurse, who told me to stop taking the laxative; someone would phone me tomorrow for further advice.  On Saturday late afternoon, I had 2 more bowel movements but not as uncomfortable as the morning.  Also I was taking a 30ml dose.

If they tell me to take the laxative tomorrow night, I shall ask them if I just take 15ml, or none at all - as I have to travel 70 miles to the hospital. I have not enjoyed myself this weekend.  Therefore will I survive all this trouble during radiotherapy - I just don't know. :(

Frank.