Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help!!!!

User
Posted 10 Jul 2015 at 21:06
Hi all

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer today. Apparently on a scale of 1 to 10 hes a 6...

Hes been given the option of an operation or radiation and is refusing to do either.

What the hell!!! Hes always said hes here for a good time not a long time and refuses to be a sick person.

Maybe he just is afraid and I need to learn what I can to help him.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Are radiation side effects really bad?

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 11:12

Or, as hard as it might be for either of you to imagine, he may be calm, in control and has come to a decision with his medical team that active surveillance is the best option for him.

Despite popular misconception on here, AS is not just something that scared people do until someone makes them see sense. It is a valid path for men with low grade cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jul 2015 at 10:09
T

" What the hell!!! Hes always said hes here for a good time not a long time and refuses to be a sick person."

Depending on a lot of factors he MAY finish up being a very sick person with few or no options.

I went through a phase of "I am not having treatment ". Looking back it was very selfish and very hard on people who love me.

We all have our own way of dealing with the shock of DX, I did not want to talk to my family about " my little problem" but would talk to work mates and people I met through work. I am glad to say I saw sense and decided to have treatment, I assumed I would have all the worst case side effects, how wrong I was. Things I thought I would be embarrassed about I talk to friends and strangers about.

18 months on from DX life is almost back to normal, I can do all the things I did before, some in a different way.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 01:06

Hi Tara, from what you have said, my guess is that this is his Gleason score which goes from 6 to 10 rather than 1 to 10. The Gleason is made up of two scores so a G6 is a 3+3 which is the lowest risk. Quite often, men with a G6 are offered active surveillance (particularly if they are older or have other medical conditions) which means regular blood tests, an annual scan and a DRE (finger up the bum) each year to monitor that the cancer isn't progressing. Many prostate cancers will not cause any problems and don't need to be treated but it is really important that the man is monitored properly so that as soon as it looks like the cancer might be getting more aggressive, a rethink about treatment can be had.

The side effects of surgery can be life changing and for older men, not necessarily worth the bother for a low grade cancer. Radiotherapy is often quite straightforward but is used in conjunction with hormone treatment which basically takes away your masculinity so again, not something a man should enter into if not necessary. Hormone treatment can cause extreme fatigue, breasts, muscle pain, breathing problems - it is chemical castration. I admire your dad's decision to wait and not rush in to treatment. My father-in-law made the same choice some years ago - his holidays and sex life were very important to him and he was not prepared to risk his life changing dramatically. Unfortunately he wasn't monitored very well on the active surveillance and no one realised it had spread until it was too late so it is important that you ask dad what the monitoring plan is - probably 3 or 6 monthly blood tests from his GP?

My dad had treatment 14 years ago and thought he had been cured but it came back last year. As he is now older, he has decided not to have any further treatment and to just enjoy himself dancing and cruising :-) Sometimes when we love our dads we have to accept that they make choices we don't necessarily think we would make.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 06:03

all I can inform on is radiation treatment its not something I can have but a running friend has been their, gleason score of 9, prostate contained, had his radiation treatment 2 years ago he is aged 62, on prostap hormone therapy, no longer requires RT been put on to 6monthly visits, and still running.

you need to undestand that your dad may be frightened, worried, guilty lots of feelings and emotions hit you, he may be just be braving the result out, he needs abit of time to get his head round what he has been told,  just give him lots of support at the moment he will in time talk about this, but sometimes with us men if you push to hard we will clam up more

you are having to deal with what is hapening to your dad, and that is tough, but your dad is having to deal with something that will change his whole life

as is often said on here order the toolkit off the website it will give you all the info you require

dont keep going into google, it can get very confusing

I am sure someone else on here may have come across the same situation as yourself

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 07:40

Hi Tara ive just had a radical prostatectomy 3 weeks ago after vehemently refusing any treatment whatsoever , and preferring to wither away than be incontinent and impotent . But with the help of this forum , and family and eventually commonsense when the immense panic had ceased , I went through with it . Its just such a stress to start with and then acceptance and a plan settles in . Get the toolkit , read it all , and off you go with best wishes and endless help from us all on here

Edited by member 11 Jul 2015 at 08:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 11:12

Or, as hard as it might be for either of you to imagine, he may be calm, in control and has come to a decision with his medical team that active surveillance is the best option for him.

Despite popular misconception on here, AS is not just something that scared people do until someone makes them see sense. It is a valid path for men with low grade cancer.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 11:43

Morning Tara and welcome.
My husband was 72 when diagnosed, with a gleason score of 3+4.
He was certain he didn't want the operation and so opted for Active surveillance which he was on for a year.

During that year he had regular blood tests and biopsies and when the PSA started to rise he was advised that something needed to be done so a decision had to be made.

He chose to have seed Brachytherapy which are radioactive seeds implanted into the prostate and they remain there forever, even when they are no longer active, (there is a booklet about it in the Toolkit available through publications on the home page). The procedure was done June 3rd 2014 so he has just had his first anniversary and his PSA is down from 6.3 to 0.09 so is working.

This is such a scary time for all of you. Cancer is a frightening word, a death sentence in many peoples' eyes but that just isn't the case any more.

Please try not to worry, easier said than done I know.

As has already been advised to you, best not to google prostate cancer. Yes there is a lot of information out there but some of it is apocryphal or just not reliable.

Stick to sites like this and Cancer Research and you should be able to glean all the information you want.

We have lots of support on here for both the patient and their families and no questions are taboo, because sometimes you just need to know and it might seem embarrassing but hey, the experts are right here, having been there and done that!

If dad is prepared to discuss it with you then try and find out his PSA, his scan results etc. Any information we can advise on.

Be prepared though for him to ask you to back off. This is his life and he may well feel that it's his decision how he lives the rest of it. On the other hand he may be acting like he is because he is frightened and has also heard horrible stories.

Go slowly at first in making enquiries or he may well block it all out and not confide in you anymore. Have you told him you have joined our community?

Best wishes to both of you. We are here for both of you should you need our help and advice.

Johsan

Edited by member 11 Jul 2015 at 14:36  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 12:36
Hi Tara,

How old is your dad?

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 12:40

and don't forget to tell him the you love him no matter what

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 11 Jul 2015 at 15:47

May well be a realistic and considered decision on your Dad's part ! He has a low Gleason score which is good though he will need monitoring. The side effects of treatments are often life changing so wise to think carefully about having treatment in his case.

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2015 at 01:51

An important part of diagnosis is staging.  This indicates whether the cancer is contained within the capsule, is breaking out,which is locally advanced or has spread outside the Prostate which is termed advanced. AS has been mentioned as an option and for many works OK, sometimes for a short time and in other cases for years. However, it may be that indications are that the cancer is very close to the edge of the Prostate and the surgeon  thinks  it could breach it without being detected unless frequent PSA and further biopsies are done.  Gleason scores assessed through biopsy are often not accurate anyway, as examination  of removed prostates sometimes leads to upgrading when the entire Prostate has been examined.  It is for the affected individual to consider at what point he wishes to undergo actual treatment, if at all.

The forum in it's relatively new format can now be seen by non members and several people have at various times received unwanted email.  You may in the circumstances consider it advisable not to show your email address.

Barry
User
Posted 12 Jul 2015 at 10:09
T

" What the hell!!! Hes always said hes here for a good time not a long time and refuses to be a sick person."

Depending on a lot of factors he MAY finish up being a very sick person with few or no options.

I went through a phase of "I am not having treatment ". Looking back it was very selfish and very hard on people who love me.

We all have our own way of dealing with the shock of DX, I did not want to talk to my family about " my little problem" but would talk to work mates and people I met through work. I am glad to say I saw sense and decided to have treatment, I assumed I would have all the worst case side effects, how wrong I was. Things I thought I would be embarrassed about I talk to friends and strangers about.

18 months on from DX life is almost back to normal, I can do all the things I did before, some in a different way.

Thanks Chris