I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Low hemoglobin

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 14:43
Hi after four rounds of cabazitaxel which have been ok we decided to have a break as my oh is mainly fine with a few aches and pains and book a holiday ,we had had a phone call a week or two before to ask if he was ok as blood w as a little low but he was ok. The day we went my oh was very pale and completely worn out I do most of everything so the journey was made as simple as possible for him but the first night he was up with leg pain it's like this completely takes over him he can't sit lay and to find a comfy able position is impossible reminded me of a women in early labour stages.

This carried on for several days no sleep not eating and I began to think we should come home especially when his mind started to play games seeing things that weren't there etc.i I thought this may be a water infection as urine was darker than usual .

Things did settle slightly so we stayed.

On return he was booked in for blood test and recalled straightaway as his Hemoglobin was 63 ?

He then had two units of blood and he is having another two today .

Also psa is on the rise with one missed chemo!

It seems the Anemia was the culprit for mind games etc I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

He had his chemo yesterday and hopefully psa will drop again.

What a rollercoaster .

Sue.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 19:23

Bumping this for you Sue in the hope that you get replies

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 20:50
Dear Sue

I know very little about the problems that you are having but having suffered dangerously low iron levels during a pregnancy I can recommend Spatone which is like a small sachet of mineral water that you add to orange juice. It does the trick without the side effects of normal iron supplements cause Like constipation. I have been told you can get it on prescription or purchase from Boots.

I hope that so one else will be along to help you more soon.

all the best

Alison

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 22:32
Sue

Hi that is a low level of Hb no wonder your hubby felt so weak and weird. Unfortunately over the counter or prescription iron medications do not often help with cancerous anaemia. Mick's Hb also dropped dramatically into the low 70s when he was on chemo and the only way to treat it was with blood transfusions. He had quite a few and as far as I know they are very commonly given during and after chemo. They work quickly and usually last for a few weeks or even a month depending on severity of the problem.

Low Hb can also cause the leg cramps and spasms so they too should go.

Now that the medical team know there is an issue they will monitor it very closely.

For info The normal range for a man is 130 to 170 and action would normally be taken below 90

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 22:40
Sue, I had been wondering how things were after your return from Greece. Glad chemo was able to go ahead, hopefully with that and the transfusions things will begin to settle down.

Linda

User
Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 09:22

Hi thank you for your replies and advice.
It's a pity he didn't have a transfusion earlier before it got so so low but they said the results didn't
Warrent a transfusion earlier but they must have been getting low!
Hopefully things will settle and the transfusions will be the pick me up and it was all bad timing with the holiday. And maybe we will be able to get away later in the year .
Keeping positive xx sue

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 19:43

Hi just a update after 4 units of blood and chemo number 5 all is well getting strength back
and looking a lot more himself so I'm thinking hopefully it was the chemo making bloods low and is now ok not the cancer? as psa has rose but have missed one lot of chemo also after Dreadfull leg aches that kept him awake all night these have mainly gone too .
Back for blood test wed so hoping this was a blip on this roller coaster !!
Kind regard to everyone sue.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 20:29
Sue

don't be disappointed or surprised if his blood work is still not the best, chemo packs a lot of punches some of them land in the wrong places. The transfusions can be done regularly if they help.

Xx

Mo