I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brothers PSA

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 00:09
After much nagging and 2.5 years later my older brother who is 59 has had a PSA test. Unfortunately his PSA was 9. The GP did a DRE and reported that he felt no irregularities.

He also carried out some kind of risk rating based on symptoms. He told my brother he was low risk due to not having any typical symptoms.

He's seeing the urologist on Monday so I'm hoping he can put the elevated PSA down to an enlarged prostate or some other non sinister condition

Fingers crossed folks

Bri
User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 10:15

Well Brian, it's true that your brother's risk is much higher because you have PC and it's also true that there is possibly of over diagnosis, BUT, if this was my brother I'd be thankful that he's had the PSA test and is going to have the follow up. At least it will show things one way or the other.

When our daughter was diagnosed with aggressive colo rectal cancer 4 years ago, I approached her older brother with my fears about his health.
He is a very private person as far as discussing bodily functions etc but whether it was to put my mind at rest or perhaps because he was aware of the familial possibility he made an appointment.
His GP did the risk assessment, didn't think there was much to worry about but did agree to refer him to hospital.
Upshot, he had polyps removed from his bowel (my daughter's problems apparently started in the same way) and has regular checks and has another smaller polyp, too small for removal at present, marked for yearly review. So I'm glad he went.

When John was diagnosed with PC our son  again went back to the GP and he has had PSA tests done and so far appears to be fine.

Edited by member 25 Jul 2015 at 11:03  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 09:39

Here's hoping Brian it is just that indeed , or he'll be on the " rollercoaster " wont he that seems impossible to disembark. Its actually no comfort to you , but as you know it seems that many pass the DRE and symptom test yet go on to be diagnosed . I still really worry about over-diagnosis in this country yet im a mere newbie on here . I wish i'd never had to have the test done .
Best wishes Chris

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 15:28

I know this has been in the back of your mind for some time know Bri so it's good that your brother has eventually got himself tested . Lets keep fingers crossed that it is not pca. I have to say though some GPs make me laugh(NOT ) his risk is low because he had no symptoms that's what they said to Trevor.

Fingers crossed for your brother.

Loving the avatar you look like one of the Bay City Rollers.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 19:03

Hi Bri
My brother went after my diognosis, also my son, I'm 73 my brother 65 and my son 45 , both were clear and have been told they will have regular checks which will give them peace of mind.
I never new whether my Dad had problems although Mum said he used to get up in the night , that was 26 years ago and I'm not sure they checked then.

As you say fingers crossed

Regards
Alan

KEEP POSITIVE and CARRY ON

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 19:40
My father and maternal grandfather both died of pca aged 82 and 73. I had no symptoms and a PSA of 7. I always knew I was a higher risk and did have to ask for a test.
I hope your brother does not have to join the club but if fate decides he does I wish him well.

Paul
THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 21:46

Arghh. The Rollercoaster ! Let's all hope it's just BPH or Prostatitis. I've got my fingers crossed for your brother Bri

User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 22:15
Brian

Hope your brother doesn't have to wait too long for the tests and that they're clear

Arthur
User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 23:52

Hi Bri,

Keeping my fingers crossed for your brother.

I really hope everything turns out ok for your brother, and take care of yourself too.   You've been through a lot recently.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Jul 2015 at 04:44

yep I will jump on board with the fingers crossed too

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 28 Jul 2015 at 14:13

Hi Bri,

Family history is, of course, a risk factor. When my PSA started to rise in 2011 from 4 to 9 over 2-3 yrs I was absolutely convinced that it was due to my mildly enlarged prostate. Naively never thought I would get cancer let alone a prostate one!

A hard nodule felt on DRE changed all that. As I did not want a standard TRUS biopsy (which I had been consistently refusing) because of its relatively poor reliability, I was offered an MRI which showed presence of bilateral tumours. I also opted for a Multiparametric MRI followed by a Transperineal template biopsy privately which I think was money well spent.

This is just a cautionary tale!

My best wishes to your brother.

Regards,
Jacey

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 09:39

Here's hoping Brian it is just that indeed , or he'll be on the " rollercoaster " wont he that seems impossible to disembark. Its actually no comfort to you , but as you know it seems that many pass the DRE and symptom test yet go on to be diagnosed . I still really worry about over-diagnosis in this country yet im a mere newbie on here . I wish i'd never had to have the test done .
Best wishes Chris

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 09:59

That's true Chris plus the added worry that his chances of getting PCa are increased due to being my brother.

Bri

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 10:15

Well Brian, it's true that your brother's risk is much higher because you have PC and it's also true that there is possibly of over diagnosis, BUT, if this was my brother I'd be thankful that he's had the PSA test and is going to have the follow up. At least it will show things one way or the other.

When our daughter was diagnosed with aggressive colo rectal cancer 4 years ago, I approached her older brother with my fears about his health.
He is a very private person as far as discussing bodily functions etc but whether it was to put my mind at rest or perhaps because he was aware of the familial possibility he made an appointment.
His GP did the risk assessment, didn't think there was much to worry about but did agree to refer him to hospital.
Upshot, he had polyps removed from his bowel (my daughter's problems apparently started in the same way) and has regular checks and has another smaller polyp, too small for removal at present, marked for yearly review. So I'm glad he went.

When John was diagnosed with PC our son  again went back to the GP and he has had PSA tests done and so far appears to be fine.

Edited by member 25 Jul 2015 at 11:03  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 15:28

I know this has been in the back of your mind for some time know Bri so it's good that your brother has eventually got himself tested . Lets keep fingers crossed that it is not pca. I have to say though some GPs make me laugh(NOT ) his risk is low because he had no symptoms that's what they said to Trevor.

Fingers crossed for your brother.

Loving the avatar you look like one of the Bay City Rollers.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 19:03

Hi Bri
My brother went after my diognosis, also my son, I'm 73 my brother 65 and my son 45 , both were clear and have been told they will have regular checks which will give them peace of mind.
I never new whether my Dad had problems although Mum said he used to get up in the night , that was 26 years ago and I'm not sure they checked then.

As you say fingers crossed

Regards
Alan

KEEP POSITIVE and CARRY ON

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 19:40
My father and maternal grandfather both died of pca aged 82 and 73. I had no symptoms and a PSA of 7. I always knew I was a higher risk and did have to ask for a test.
I hope your brother does not have to join the club but if fate decides he does I wish him well.

Paul
THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 21:02

My brother had his appointment with the urologist today. The urologist told him his prostate was smooth but enlarged.

He has recommended an MRI scan followed by a biopsy due to me having PCa. Hopefully the raised PSA is a result of the enlarged prostate

Bri

User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 21:46

Arghh. The Rollercoaster ! Let's all hope it's just BPH or Prostatitis. I've got my fingers crossed for your brother Bri

User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 22:15
Brian

Hope your brother doesn't have to wait too long for the tests and that they're clear

Arthur
User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 23:52

Hi Bri,

Keeping my fingers crossed for your brother.

I really hope everything turns out ok for your brother, and take care of yourself too.   You've been through a lot recently.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Jul 2015 at 04:44

yep I will jump on board with the fingers crossed too

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 28 Jul 2015 at 14:13

Hi Bri,

Family history is, of course, a risk factor. When my PSA started to rise in 2011 from 4 to 9 over 2-3 yrs I was absolutely convinced that it was due to my mildly enlarged prostate. Naively never thought I would get cancer let alone a prostate one!

A hard nodule felt on DRE changed all that. As I did not want a standard TRUS biopsy (which I had been consistently refusing) because of its relatively poor reliability, I was offered an MRI which showed presence of bilateral tumours. I also opted for a Multiparametric MRI followed by a Transperineal template biopsy privately which I think was money well spent.

This is just a cautionary tale!

My best wishes to your brother.

Regards,
Jacey

User
Posted 28 Jul 2015 at 14:45

Jacey , did you not get this offered quickly on the NHS ?? I guess it depends on where you are in the country . I had a multiparametric MRI and Template biopsy very quickly ( 3 mnths ) in the Southampton area . My PSA was 43 though and rising 5 per month so I think they were panicking. I hate to think what that cost but as you say when its your health money means nothing .

User
Posted 28 Jul 2015 at 22:54

Hi Chris,

You are absolutely right, Lincolnshire hospitals do not have these facilities and it cost me nearly £5,000 for the 2 procedures.

I could have used that for a business class upgrade for one of my holiday flight, with little change mind you!

In hindsight I should have requested my GP to refer me to a Trust with those facilities which are scarce!

Regards,
J