I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

first hurdle reached!

User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 20:08

My 54 year old brother started hormone therapy in May after being diagnosed with locally advanced Pca. His PSA was very high at over 150 with Gleason 3+4. He saw his onc today and 3 months after his first Prostap injection his PSA has gone right down to 0.7. He's had CTs and a recent MRI and no spread has been found, although we've had it made very clear that there could be micro-metastases which are too small to show up.

The onc says they want the PSA to go down even further before they consider radiotherapy and he has his next appointment in 3 months time. We're obviously all hoping that it will continue to fall so that this is an option. This is the best news we could have hoped for at this stage but we're very much aware that it's a long haul and this his disease is incurable. Treatable yes and we do hope that HT/radiotherapy can control things for as long as possible but trying to take things one day at a time. 

User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 21:45

Hello Big Sis.
Glad little bro's PSA has come down, fingers crossed for even more reduction.

It's good that he has you battling his corner for him - after all what are big sisters for!!

Treatable is good. There are more and more available as time goes on so hopefully at some stage he will be able to take advantage of the new technologies.
Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 00:50

Hello big sis
Just to say I hope your brothers psa continues going down.
I too had a high psa on diagnosis, it was 234 and Gleason was 3+4.
I started prostap in January and then also went onto Stampede J and my psa is now running at .05.
I can't have RT tho because I'm in the trial.
I remember your earlier post about Stampede, was this offered to yr brother
I've the odd few side effects like I get weary earlier (I do a bit of running) plus I get hot flushes about every hour but these are handle able.
Best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 07:41
Hi Big Sis,

Good to hear that your brother's PSA is going down. Mine was 408 and now is 0.01. I've had radiotherapy and having Prostap injections every 3 months. Have a look at my profile to see where I've been and where I am now. I hope it will encourage you.

Arthur

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 00:35

It might not be incurable Bigsis ... a warning that there may be micro-mets has to be set against the fact that there is no evidence of any spread and we have had members with higher PSA at diagnosis who have gone on to have curative treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 09:25

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Arthur it's good to know that you were offered RT and that it seems to be working.  Paul, yes my bro is on the Stampede trial but just on the control arm but that still gives him the benefit of more regular monitoring. Glad things are going well for you too.

Sandra, you're there for everyone and your words are very welcome! We're feeling much more optimistic now and the next thing is to tell our mum - we've kept if from her because dad is at end of life and we didn't think she could handle anything else. But my brother has said that the strain of keeping it to himself has got too much and he just wants it out in the open.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 09:27

Sorry Lyn, don't know why I called you Sandra!