I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

30 month post op PSA results

User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 21:09
Having been absent from the forum for a while I thought it was about time I posted my 30 month post op PSA results - "virtually undetectable, less than 0.002". I was diagnosed with PCa back in 2012 and underwent an op to remove prostate towards the end of that year.

Needless to say the reading has come as a great relief. As usual for me for about 2 weeks waiting for the results I got myself all worked up again for nothing!

I hope my results give hope to any new members coming up who have just been diagnosed with PCa.

Whilst writing I thought I would also give the latest on the side effects.

Firstly, I AM ALIVE! That was always my first goal. I try not to be complacent about the future but I live in hope the PCa does not return. Having hope helps me cope with it.

Continence - I reckon I am about 95%. I still have the odd leak but my sense of humour helps me deal with it. I still hope for 100% but if not I will live with it. My flow is otherwise still good and I don't want to do anything to jeopardise this.

ED. Sadly my ED issues continue. It seems I am one of the unlucky ones in that my recovery is slow. I was told I had nerve sparing surgery. However, I was over 7 hours under the knife so I can only assume there was some damage which is taking time to heal.

My libido has returned to pre-op times, if not more.

I have been a great believer in the "use it or lose it" principle and I have tried my best with pump etc to minimise atrophy.

I have been getting regular nocturnal thickening for some time - I would modestly say about 40%, obviously not sufficient for the full works. Sometimes I have tried giving it a helping hand but as soon as I have had a Jimmy Widdle he goes down and no amount of play gets him up again. Likewise no amount of play in daylight hours works. I wonder if I have some sort of mental block which might be hindering my progress.

I am much better at using the pump and rings these days but still have difficulty in obtaining an end result, if you get my drift.

Tablets unfortunately simply do not suit me. Muse works only with a partial erection but I still practice with it when I can.

Despite my slow progress, with the support of my wonderful wife I am still able to enjoy the pleasures of the flesh on a regular basis. This has been a wonderful bonus that at one time I didn't think possible so I am most grateful.

I would be lying if I said the ED didn't get me down. I worry that as I have passed the 2 year stage I might be too late so I do go through periods of feeling low. However, I am still very much determined to overcome this and am not ready to give up yet.

On another positive note, I am waiting for one more appointment to see my ED nurse with a view of obtaining a prescription for Vitaros cream. I am looking forward to giving that a try.

Thank you once again to all forum members. Your support has been worth more than words can say.

Sending best wishes to all.
User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 22:41
RT
Great to hear from you and sounding so positive too. PSA almost undetectable ..tick
Living...tick
Continence ...almost tick
ED ... 40% and probably improving more drugs are coming out so soon there will be more to try ..okay so maybe we should give that a little tick.
You are happy ,your wife is happy
So life is good.

Put a smile on my face and brightened what had been a dull day for me.

Xx
Mo
User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 22:50

Hi Rivertweed
I'm so pleased about your PSA result. That has to be so reassuring. Thanks for a really honest , frank , informative post. It's great to hear everyone's progress. I hope the ED continues to improve. I have heard Vitaros cream is good
Chris

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 10:58

Great news on your latest PSA result rivertweed.......long may those results continue.

You post gives all of us in similar circumstances hope and encouragement.

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 12:05

Hi RT, glad your PSA is still undetectable! Your post is a carbon copy of my circumstances 30 months on & like you am grateful to still be here.
I am very interested in hearing how the 'cream' goes as i have been thinking about going down the injection route as a last resort for some time now!

Best fenman

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 13:41

Well done Rivertweed. Pleased to hear from you and that all is pretty good with a couple of exceptions. As you say - you are alive and so many new things are becoming available now that I really hope one of them works for you. I too would be very interested in the Vitaros.
We haven't quite reached the stage yet where we'll need to change to something else but info upfront about creams etc will be very helpful.

Celebrate - Oh, I bet you already have. !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 14:27

I've just googled Vitaros on the NHS website and it is basically just MUSE. So the NHS still offers mainly Caverject and then Muse if all others fail.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 15:30

RT

Well done ! your PSA result is reassuring especially when a few guys recently are looking at salvage treatment after surgey.

I have just started on muse, 1st couple of times 100 percent success third time not quite as good but still usable , even with muse you still after work at it ?

Vitaros is not available in my area, the NHS works in mysterious ways.

All the best for the future.

Thanks chris

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 15:47

Had another check . Both Muse and Vitaros are the drug Alprostadil . But yes I was wrong . Muse goes into your urethra and Vitaros is a cream applied to the head of the penis . Same drug though no difference.

Oh and Caverject is Alprostadil aswell but injectable . So basically us boys are looking for a new treatment to come on the market. I expect some people react differently to injection , insertion or topical application.

Chris

Edited by member 04 Aug 2015 at 15:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 20:48

C

I think vitaros is applied internally to the tip of the penis, the muse applicator puts the muse about 50mm down the penis.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 21:06

Yikes ( gritting teeth ) . But at the end of the day .........

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 23:35
Hi RT,

Really pleased you had such a good PSA result. Hope the good results keep coming for many years to come.

Great to hear life is good for you both. Don't worry about the ED problems, I'm sure things will improve.

Take care.

Steve
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 22:41
RT
Great to hear from you and sounding so positive too. PSA almost undetectable ..tick
Living...tick
Continence ...almost tick
ED ... 40% and probably improving more drugs are coming out so soon there will be more to try ..okay so maybe we should give that a little tick.
You are happy ,your wife is happy
So life is good.

Put a smile on my face and brightened what had been a dull day for me.

Xx
Mo
User
Posted 03 Aug 2015 at 22:50

Hi Rivertweed
I'm so pleased about your PSA result. That has to be so reassuring. Thanks for a really honest , frank , informative post. It's great to hear everyone's progress. I hope the ED continues to improve. I have heard Vitaros cream is good
Chris

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 10:58

Great news on your latest PSA result rivertweed.......long may those results continue.

You post gives all of us in similar circumstances hope and encouragement.

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 12:05

Hi RT, glad your PSA is still undetectable! Your post is a carbon copy of my circumstances 30 months on & like you am grateful to still be here.
I am very interested in hearing how the 'cream' goes as i have been thinking about going down the injection route as a last resort for some time now!

Best fenman

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 13:41

Well done Rivertweed. Pleased to hear from you and that all is pretty good with a couple of exceptions. As you say - you are alive and so many new things are becoming available now that I really hope one of them works for you. I too would be very interested in the Vitaros.
We haven't quite reached the stage yet where we'll need to change to something else but info upfront about creams etc will be very helpful.

Celebrate - Oh, I bet you already have. !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 14:27

I've just googled Vitaros on the NHS website and it is basically just MUSE. So the NHS still offers mainly Caverject and then Muse if all others fail.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 15:30

RT

Well done ! your PSA result is reassuring especially when a few guys recently are looking at salvage treatment after surgey.

I have just started on muse, 1st couple of times 100 percent success third time not quite as good but still usable , even with muse you still after work at it ?

Vitaros is not available in my area, the NHS works in mysterious ways.

All the best for the future.

Thanks chris

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 15:47

Had another check . Both Muse and Vitaros are the drug Alprostadil . But yes I was wrong . Muse goes into your urethra and Vitaros is a cream applied to the head of the penis . Same drug though no difference.

Oh and Caverject is Alprostadil aswell but injectable . So basically us boys are looking for a new treatment to come on the market. I expect some people react differently to injection , insertion or topical application.

Chris

Edited by member 04 Aug 2015 at 15:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 20:48

C

I think vitaros is applied internally to the tip of the penis, the muse applicator puts the muse about 50mm down the penis.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 21:06

Yikes ( gritting teeth ) . But at the end of the day .........

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 22:12
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

Mo - I am very pleased I made your day!

Fenman - it is uncanny how our situations are so similar.

With regard to muse, much to my surprise I have coped with the procedures. I would prefer not have to do it but I have found that as long as I follow the instructions to the letter it is tolerable. It still only produces a partial erection but it is still good to see it rise to a degree and have something a bit bigger to hold on to, lol!!

I have read good reports on Vitaros cream. Whether it is available in my area or even if it works better remains to be seen but I am keen to give it a try. I will post results in due course. At the moment I am still waiting for my ED nurse appointment.

As for injections, that is another matter! At the moment I just cannot get my head around the concept mentally but I am not ruling it out yet,

I realise others on the forum have and have had challenges similar to me and even greater ones, so for you to take the time to post a comment is very much appreciated.
User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 23:35
Hi RT,

Really pleased you had such a good PSA result. Hope the good results keep coming for many years to come.

Great to hear life is good for you both. Don't worry about the ED problems, I'm sure things will improve.

Take care.

Steve