I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Experiences with abieratrone ?

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 14:21
hi just wondered if anyone who's on this how are they getting on with it?

How long they have been on it side effects etc

Thanks sue

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 14:21
hi just wondered if anyone who's on this how are they getting on with it?

How long they have been on it side effects etc

Thanks sue

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 17:55

Hi Sue I was on Abiraterone for 18 months. No real side effects to talk of. Went on holidays abroad every other month whilst I was on them. PSA next to nothing until the end of 18 months.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 18:21
When Tim had abi tabs he didn't find there were any side effects although for him they kept things at bay for a short while they didn't really do much. The one down side was when you took them. If I rememember they had to be taken on an empty stomach and no food for a while after. Tim would take them last thing at night as we usually eat early, if we did eat late we would set the alarm for the middle of the night!!

Linda

User
Posted 07 Aug 2015 at 09:20
Hi Sue

I was on abbi for 18 months with no side effects my PSA stayed undetectable through out I stopped taking them in January as they thought it was the cause for my tacicardia but it was found not to be abbi

PSA is still undetectable so I have decided to stay off them until it starts rising

Good luck with them

Si x

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 07 Aug 2015 at 11:58

Hello Sue
I've been on HT plus Abbi and enzalutamide for 7 months.
I'm not so sure which drug has what effect but I did have a period where my ALT reading ( to do with state of my liver) went skywards and by reducing the Abbie dosage from 1000mg to 750mg (4 tabs to 3) the reading came back to normal. The onco had seen this before.
I am getting a lot of hot flushes (hourly) and some discomfort in the tum but I'm not sure if this is the Abbie or the enzo.
Generally I don't think I get anything unbearable from the Abbi.
My pea is down from 235 in January to a current .04 so something works.
Am due my next tests first week September.

Hope this helps

Paul

User
Posted 08 Aug 2015 at 09:29
My OH had high BP and low potassium, which we think was from the Abi, but not always easy to tell.

These were monitored carefully by the trial nurses and other medications given to counteract them.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 08 Aug 2015 at 14:06

Hi at the moment we are on cabazitaxel but abieratrone may be next I notice some men have these the other way round perhaps it's just different hospitals have different ways?
The chemo is working but as I have mentioned previously blood counts are low it's the second time this has happened the blood was not quite as low as the first drop but the chemo is working so I'm not sure how to pick my oh up this time as the low bloods are making him struggle unless they say because the chemo is working I think I read they could give him medication to make more blood cells?
Want to move forward from this blip as he wasn't doing to bad!
Have to get it off my chest sometimes !😃 Sue .

User
Posted 08 Aug 2015 at 19:40
I know how you feel. Tim has now had everything in the standard treatment and so if cabazitaxel fails what next. He is very optimistic thinking of booking holidays etc because at the moment he feels so good but he has had a CT scan to show what is going on and we get the results next Thursday. He always starts so well on a treatment then he obviously has a very clever PCa that decides to spoil everything. With Cabazitaxel the onco thought he would be in a short time of remission after his 10 sessions as his scan had shown such a good response aftpfter the first 3 or 4 but now we have only had 8 and things are changing!! We will soon find ou!

Linda

User
Posted 09 Aug 2015 at 12:07

Hi linda
Has Tim had abieratrone ?
He sounds like my kinda guy with his hols we have always enjoyed great holidays and if that goes?
Even thou we had rough time in Greece in June im hopeing we can go sep/oct if they can get bloods right I must say a better recovery after this second transfusion so I'm hopeful
This disease should be sorted in this day and age just lost two people in the matter of days one was a 51 year old women should not be happening !
Keep looking at the hols x

User
Posted 09 Aug 2015 at 18:54
Sue, Yes he had abiraterone in 2013 for 6 months or so. They didn't do much for him but kept things stable for a short while. He had no side effects from them with the only downside working out the best time to take them.

I hope Tim will still be talking holidays after the results of his scan on Thursday, I am sure he will!! I am the worrier and now that he has been through all the main treatments I am more fearful for the future.

Linda

User
Posted 10 Aug 2015 at 08:05

I've just finished a 2 year stint on Abiraterone.

No real side effects to talk of, though I am on HT in parallel and the typical HT symptoms I've attributed to the HT regime.

I did have some sleep issues until I was directed to take the Abiraterone and associated prednisolone during the morning as steroids can have an effect on sleep patterns.

Apart from that - plain sailing.

Hope that helps

Kevin

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 16:41

Hi thanks for replies.
I have noticed some men have abieratrone before chemo I'm wondering whether
We will have abieratrone when the chemo stops as that's the strongest treatment so
would they go back to abieratrone ?
Sue

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 17:02

We were told that the change of drugs sort of tricks the cancer, so I don't think they necessarily go for the strongest. Seems some oncologists just give them in different orders. My oh is on hormone decapeptyl and has been from diagnosis. When the psa began to rise after six months he went onto docetaxel. He had eight cycles psa on the up again so then onto enzalutamide (magic beans) these worked for eight months, we were a little hacked off because they were so easy to take and he had no side effects at all. Now he is on Cabazataxel , seven cycles so far mild side effects I.e. Taste change and tiredness. However his blood count dropped so had two units intravenously. We have got the ok to miss next chemo so we can go to Portugal so fingers crossed things stay ok. We have also been told that they sometimes give the same treatment again after a while which all buys us time for new ones to become available. Love to all keep soldiering on its tough but we can do it xxxx

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 17:55

Hi Sue I was on Abiraterone for 18 months. No real side effects to talk of. Went on holidays abroad every other month whilst I was on them. PSA next to nothing until the end of 18 months.