I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

prostrate biopsey

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 00:34

can anyone truthfully let me know what the prostrate biopsey entails and apart from being uncomfortable is it painful 

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 09:12

As in all medical procedures there are always the exceptions but for most it’s at worst discomforting. For me the first one was no more than a dental check up. Second was akin to having a filling, with that time some blood urine for about 10 days. That was in the days when no pain relief was given.

Relaxing could well help

Ray

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 09:15
Hi Ian

welcome to the forum, not the place anyone really wants to be but it is a good place for advice and to chat about things.

There are many men here who could post up about the experiences with biopsies, so you should get some replies. The experiences will all vary, some found it far less daunting than it sounded, some just breezed through it, others had a more difficult experience.

A lot of men fear it because it souds so awful, it is in such an intimate place and there are probably not many things comparable that you experience prior to this.

It is an essential part of diagnosing Prostate cancer, forming the staging and also for ruling it out so it needs to be done.

If you do not get immediate replies you could search the site by doing the following:

On the online community page, press or slect the tab "show search"

when the window opens up in the white box underneath the words Know exacty what you want .. enter the word Biopsy and press go

This will bring you up some conversations in which Biopsy features. The one by Misiekbar which I think is titled biopsy experiences has probably 15 or so views from men who have been through it.

I hope this helps

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 09:47

thanks will do i was just a bit concerned so the reply has put me at ease its not until 2 weeks tuesday so i have plenty time to prepare

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 09:48

Hi Ian I found the biopsies quiet painless i was give pain relief injection apart from this no pain did have blood in urine for about a day, i think the build up to it is the worse bit hope it all goes well Andy

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 09:55

Morning Ian & welcome to the place where no one wants to be...there's loads of great people on here with loads of great support

I found the biopsy uncomfortable at worst, the only real piece of advice I would give is when asked if you'd like the monitor moving so you can see what's going on, politely decline !!!

Duncan

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 11:09

Ian

It was not painful for me, just slightly uncomfortable. You hear the clicks as the samples are taken - I was surprised by how little I felt. Good luck with yours.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 12:55

Ian,

The most usual Biopsy for PCa is called TRUS, Trans Rectal Ultra Sound. Generally 8-12 cores are taken via the rectum. It felt to me like being flicked with a rubber band as you hear a click not unlike the sound of a stapler being pressed. Sometimes an anaesthetic cream is given for what I thought was a mild pain, far less than having a tooth drilled. Antibiotics are given because there is a small risk of infection. There may be a little blood in urine and semen for a few days after.

There is another kind of Biopsy which is far less frequently done where cores are taken via the Perineum and the risk of infection is reduced. This is generally done using a template and more cores are taken. This biopsy is mostly done under general anaesthetic as it takes longer and is essential that the patient does not move. There can be blood in urine/semen for a few days afterwards and I found I had to slouch for a couple of weeks afterwards when sitting to keep pressure away from the Perineum.

I expect you will have the TRUS Biopsy, it is quicker, cheaper and less involved but a few men start with the Perineum one or go on to have this after a TRUS one if a wider exploration is called for.

Barry
User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 13:08
Ian

Just to add to this my experience was much the same as Paul's above

Arthur

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 13:32

Ian

Walk in the park, pretty much as most of the other posts.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 15:37

Hello Ian and welcome fro me too.
Much the same for my husband as the others have said. Discomfort more than pain but a fair bit of blood in the urine and semen for while so might be an idea to get some condoms if you are sexually active to save the washing. !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:59

thanks for that folks completely chilled out now think al venture out for a pint