I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

having surgery to take samples from prostrate

User
Posted 25 Aug 2015 at 11:30

hi  everyone  havnt  been on  for  a while  i  was  supposed  to  go  for  this  surgery  this  week  as  my  psa  went  up  to  1.8 , this  year  not  109  ,when  first  diagnosed  6  years  ago , have  put  off  surgery  3  times  now ,,,,,,as  i  feel  fine  not losing  weight  ,not  outta  breath, they  want  to  heat  up  the c  cells  at  back  of  prostrate  and  its  got  to b  accurate  i  guess  im  apprehensive  to the  invasive  surgey  and  the  after  affects  but  am  making  excuses  not to go  as  everythings  fine  at  moment  in  all  departments  can someone  advise  please  whos  gone  down that  road  thanks .......bob

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 10:10
Hi Bob

Do you mean you are having HIFU to heat up the cancer and destroy it.

Roy

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 10:56

Hi Toddy. Lyn highlights whats gone missing, possibly aided by HT, in these advancing years which is memory cells. I shan't add to Lyn's informative words. So just a post to say keep in touch as your living life posts not only bring a smile but reminds that's the point in fighting cancer.

Good luck with your hot rear end treatment and try to attend some appointments even if it means keeping some ladies waiting :)

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Aug 2015 at 12:14

Hello Toddy
Can't advise you but just wanted to wish you good luck.

I'm sure somebody will be along at some stage to give their opinions and help

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:08

Toddy it appears that nobody has had your proposed procedure. I can't think why else nobody has replied to you

Anyway, fingers crossed for you that it is a success

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 10:10
Hi Bob

Do you mean you are having HIFU to heat up the cancer and destroy it.

Roy

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 10:40

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

hi  everyone  havnt  been on  for  a while  i  was  supposed  to  go  for  this  surgery  this  week  as  my  psa  went  up  to  1.8 , this  year  not  109  ,when  first  diagnosed  6  years  ago , have  put  off  surgery  3  times  now ,,,,,,as  i  feel  fine  not losing  weight  ,not  outta  breath, they  want  to  heat  up  the c  cells  at  back  of  prostrate  and  its  got  to b  accurate  i  guess  im  apprehensive  to the  invasive  surgey  and  the  after  affects  but  am  making  excuses  not to go  as  everythings  fine  at  moment  in  all  departments  can someone  advise  please  whos  gone  down that  road  thanks .......bob

Bob,

Waiting for symptoms to develop can in some cases be a bit late for every treatment option, if I were you I would not wait until I had obvious symptoms that might be indicative of PCa before seeking further help.  

atb

dave

edited in light of info provided by Lyn below

Edited by member 26 Aug 2015 at 18:32  | Reason: Not specified

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 18:01

Dave, Toddy doesn't always find it easy to use the forum but has been around for a long time and originally had RT / HT which didn't result in the hoped-for cure, possibly because he stopped the HT early due to side effects. He also made himself a little unpopular with his medics for failing to attend all his appointments but certainly knows how to enjoy life! I think his PSA was around 100 at diagnosis.

Toddy, has the doctor said that your PSA is going up again? Is that why they want to heat up the cancer cells at the back of the prostate? I don't think they will be trying to take a biopsy of your fried up gland!!!

If you are hoping to avoid treatment for a while longer because you don't have any symptoms, you could leave it too late. By the time a man is losing weight and out of breath, he is too ill for treatment and will die - you don't want to put yourself in that position yet, you are far too young. The doctor wants you to have some more treatment and my guess is that he knows what he is doing. If you have the heating up, it might mean you don't need to go back on the hormones that you hated so much.

Take care,
Lyn x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 00:10

Hi Toddy,

Not sure what your immediate surgery is as taking samples would indicate biopsy but heat treatment suggests HIFU. I had radiotherapy in 2008 but after some 3 years of PSA being stable it started to rise slowly. It was established by scans and a template biopsy this year that new cancer had developed in my radiated Prostate. I had HIFU for this last month. The surgeon does not take samples away but rather you pass burnt tissue over time when you pass water. If this is what you are due to have, you may be interested in my experience here http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10960-HIFU--my-experience#post134247
I will give you a link to view a template biopsy and HIFU if you would like to see these procedures. If you are having a different procedure it would be helpful to say what it is called.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 10:56

Hi Toddy. Lyn highlights whats gone missing, possibly aided by HT, in these advancing years which is memory cells. I shan't add to Lyn's informative words. So just a post to say keep in touch as your living life posts not only bring a smile but reminds that's the point in fighting cancer.

Good luck with your hot rear end treatment and try to attend some appointments even if it means keeping some ladies waiting :)

Ray

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 18:17

yes  only  a  yr  later as  i  chickened  out  just  want  to  get  it  over  with  now 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 18:20

having  it  a  yr  later  lynn      4  .5  now  no  tablets  but  feel  fine