Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

GP Found Lump/Enlargement

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 19:08

Hi,

I am 48 years old and have been having a few issues of late around waterworks so went to my GP. She has done the preverbal finger test and has found high up a lump or enlarged prostate and this evening I have given blood for a PSA test and she has suggested I arrange a visit to a Urologist as I have private health.

Needless to say I am very worried. I feel fine, I don't have other symptoms outside of the need to urinate, occasional burning and slowness when I start to urinate and have recently being getting up a little in the night to go. GP said at my age it is very rare and we should wait and see what the PSA tells us but I am of course worried.

Thoughts, strategies and insights most welcome.

Thanks

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 19:45

Hi Midsman,

and welcome to the site.

Thoughts, like most of us when we start out, thoughts are "it will be worst case scenario". You need to stop that, calm down, and if you manage that you are a better man than any of us.

The fact is that having started out on the road to exploring the symptoms, and possibly a potential diagnosis you are in a better place than you were yesterday, and now you have to wait for results and tests and only then will you know what you are dealing with. The symptoms you describe may be de to other issues, and coincidental. Many of us here had no symptoms, others had symptoms that were found to be not due to PCa.

48 is not young for PCa, sadly, and your GP is out of sync, maybe you could mention that the next time you meet?

The best advice anyone can give to you at this early stage is do not Google PCa and do not worry. Both of which are easier said than done, I know.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 19:51

Hi Midsman,

Always a worrying time when you are waiting for the results of tests etc...

Your GP has acted and given you good advice in my opinion..

Your symptoms could well be related to a number of things and may not necessarily be PCa.

Until you have all the results of your tests / investigations I would advise you to stay away from Dr Google.

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 19:54

Thanks and you are right, I have been Googling since I got home and have, as you would expect, scared myself even more so will stop now. I had an operation last year about 1 year ago actually and at that point had a CT scan from chest down and all seemed fine then, but I am of course worrying now. I also had full blood test as part of my well man visit a few weeks back and they were all good, liver, kidneys, sugars (long and short term) but it's just the waiting :(

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 20:10
Having been exactly where you are at the same age or just slightly younger, the time to Google, research and concern yourself is when you have the PSA test result back. At the moment, you're worrying about what might be, not what is. Have a good glass of wine and wait for the result. It could be due to a multitude of benign and innocent causes.

Best of luck

Bazza

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 20:32
Hi midsman

If you feel the need for information, you can download the tool kit from this site. As others have said, do stay off Google. It's tempting, but not worth it. Until you have a psa, you can do nothing else.

Try to stay positive

Louise x

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 22:11

Just to say welcome Midsman.
All this advice is good stuff

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 22:30
Hi Midsman

Welcome to the forum from me as well!

The advice to avoid Google is good. I fell into a trap and read everything and it made me a wreck. Strangely though I never found this site or forum until 4 months after op. If only I had known about this site at the time of diagnosis would have made a great difference to my state of mind. So the fact you have found the site now is a positive step you have already taken, in my view.

I have been where you are now so I know from experience how you are feeling.

Whatever the outcome I wish you well.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 22:56
Hi mate, glad you found us ( but sorry u needed to) stay as chilled as you can for now and as things develop, good (hopefully) or not so then post here as the full spectrum of stuff is welcome and you may help,others even if your outcome is (hopefully) good as it is so common to be understandably worried where you are now.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 09:36

Hi Midsman,

I wouldn't avoid Googling, I'd just be aware that there is a wide spectrum of quality information out there. So keep to respected sites.

At this stage, it is far from proven that you have PCa so I wouldn't be overly worried. There are many less sinister explanations.

If it does turn out to be PCa then take heart there are many treatments available and if caught early, potentially curable.

Here's a link which I hope will give you some comfort:

http://www.yananow.org/goodnews.shtml

Flexi

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 10:49

I appreciate the welcome everyone. I am awaiting my PSA results and have arranged to see a private Urologist next week as preparation, but little point doing that until I have the PSA results. I am lucky being well connected into the medical profession with a number of friends who are consultants, so it has helped to connect and get their advice too.

Much as said, trying to remain focused on normal life as much as I can, just want to move quickly to understand what, if anything, is my problem and work out how I fix it or carry on with normal life.

Fingers crossed.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 12:33

The PSA result should be available soon but this is only one tool to aid diagnosis and not an accurate one at that. Don't wish to raise concerns unnecessarily but sometimes men with cancer show a low PSA level. The burning sensation you sometimes experience could be a urinary infection and I would suggest this is checked out anyway, if not already ruled out. The suggestion that the Prostate might be large or irregular would be better judged generally by a urologist than than a GP.

Do let us know what transpires.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 11:04
So to update everyone..

My PSA test came back as normal, whatever that means, but as suggested I still pushed ahead and visited the Urologist. Luckily I've full health insurance so managed to get in yesterday for a further and more detailed check and scan at my preferred hospital and consultant.

He is satisfied that I'm well and my prostate is normal and healthy. He said they are all different as is mine with some pronounced areas but he felt it (ouch) and was satisfied when married to my PSA test and a scan he did then and there as well as a good check of urine and 'other bits' that Prostate issues were not my particular issue.

We have a plan but I am pleased to say for me this time all seems ok. Again I thank everyone for their thoughts and guidance which was truly appreciated.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 11:29

Phew ! Thank goodness for that.

Should you need us in the future - well, you know where we are.

Good luck and all the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 11:31
That's wonderful news, time to open a bottle or two. Don't forget to get regular PSA checks in the future now you have a baseline to compare it to.

All the best for the future

Roy

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 12:50

Excellent news!

As Roy says, now that you have a base line for your PSA levels make sure you have a regular check to keep an ' eye on things'

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 13:01

Great news!

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 14:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
That's wonderful news, time to open a bottle or two. Don't forget to get regular PSA checks in the future now you have a baseline to compare it to.

All the best for the future

Roy

And bear in mind the activity to avoid before you have the test so you do not skew the results?  In addition you may wish to have annual DRE, as a belt and braces indicator?

Excellent news for you, really pleased that it went well.

tab

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 14:50

Excellent news, must be a weight off your mind.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 15:04

Happy news !! Happy for you . All the best
Chris

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 17:26

Again thanks all, kind thoughts are appreciated. I've just set up a monthly Direct Debit to the cause as a little thank you for the support and a small gesture that one day might help some people.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 17:28

I should add that I have an annual health check through my company, which is a full day and includes prostate tests as well as a load of other stuff and I have never taken advantage of it really, but I will be doing so now.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 17:56
Wonderful news!

Arthur

User
Posted 05 Sep 2015 at 21:52
What great news, and such a relief.

This site mainly contains people who have prostate cancer or wives of people who have prostate cancer. There appears to be a sharp collective intake of breath through clenched teeth every time someone comes on here with a GP who thinks they're too young to have prostate cancer. I'm so relieved for you that he wasn't proved wrong, but he is wrong!

Keep having the tests. The scare has probably done you a favour- at least you'll be on the ball from now on (pun not intended) (actually, it probably was). Spread the word to all your friends. My father was diagnosed at 61. Eleven of his friends went for tests on the back of his diagnosis. Two had prostate cancer. All three are still alive.

Louise x

User
Posted 06 Sep 2015 at 17:21

Wonderful news