I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brothers situation update

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 20:18
Posted previously that my brother finally had a PSA test after much nagging from me. This was elevated at around 9. But on DRE prostate smooth but enlarged. He was sent for an MRI scan as precaution due to family history ie me.

Appt with urogist today unfortunately revealed it is PCa. Sounds like there are three tumours two at the back he wasn't overly concerned about and one at the front he deemed higher risk...not sure how he knows that from the MRI.

So he is having a biopsy under GA on the 18th.

I feel strange about it as if my pushing him into the PSA has now landed all this cxxp on him

Fingers crossed that it is contained and cureable

Bri

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 21:29

Oh Dear Bri , you nagging certainly hasn't caused a problem but I do know how much you worried about your brother. I have everything crossed that it has been caught in time and can be dealt with. Brothers in Arms , thinking of you.

BFN

JULIE X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 21:41

Sorry to hear this Bri. but without you pushing in a years time he could have been asking me for advice.

It was a good call, caught early.

See you soon mate

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 22:09
Brian

I'm sure in the long run you did the right thing, your brother will be able to have treatment in one form or another sooner rather than later

Arthur

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 22:52
Sorry to hear about your brother. For what it is worth I believe you did the right thing.

I hope all goes well.

Kind regards.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 01:59

Of course it was the right thing to do. Now you can be there and support him through the decision making process.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 08:25
Absolutely the right thing Bri, I only wish someone had told me to have a PSATest a year or so earlier. Fingers crossed it can all be sorted fine., Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 08:51

Good on you for the "encouragement" to get a test.

Maybe right now both he and yourself are saying you wish you hadn't, but what is the alternative. Especially as your brother has more than one tumour.

A few untreated years further down the line doesn't bear thinking about does it. so yes, you definitely did the right thing

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 09:54

Brian, you are a loving caring Brother! He's lucky to have that!

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 10:40

hi bri

spot on the right thing to do, my brother went for his when I was diagnosed he got the all clear, but I think I know where you coming from as I get the guilt trip often, will have to tell my son to get one done eventually he is 38, not sure how I am going to do it

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 10:52
Bri

Sorry to hear about your brother but as everyone else has said you should not feel bad. The opposite you have done what any loving and caring brother would have and should have done.

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 18:03

I disagree - the poor brother didn't want a test, wanted to let sleeping dogs lie and was pushed and nagged ... now look! tihs has happened, everyone is upset, he has to make difficult choices that he would rather not be dealing with and it is your fault.

Even if that is how he feels right now Bri, I hope that given time he forgives you and accepts that it was better to know than not.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 19:09

If he really did not wish to know he would not have gone. I doubt you frogmarched him to the hospital for the tests? Now he can take steps to prolong his life, thanks to you.

No need for you to worry Brian.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 20:01

My brother is two years older than me and hasn't spoken to the largish family for years . He's a consultant Radiologist ( well was , but its a long story ) . He's fully aware of what has happened to me but my sister-in-law says he won't go for a test. I can hardly blame him to be honest , but surely he must be thinking and thinking about it.
One would think he was educated / stupid / stubborn enough to make his own mind up . I doubt anything I said would help.
I think you did the right thing -- it was your duty
Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 21:29

Oh Dear Bri , you nagging certainly hasn't caused a problem but I do know how much you worried about your brother. I have everything crossed that it has been caught in time and can be dealt with. Brothers in Arms , thinking of you.

BFN

JULIE X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 21:41

Sorry to hear this Bri. but without you pushing in a years time he could have been asking me for advice.

It was a good call, caught early.

See you soon mate

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 22:09
Brian

I'm sure in the long run you did the right thing, your brother will be able to have treatment in one form or another sooner rather than later

Arthur

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 22:52
Sorry to hear about your brother. For what it is worth I believe you did the right thing.

I hope all goes well.

Kind regards.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 01:59

Of course it was the right thing to do. Now you can be there and support him through the decision making process.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 08:25
Absolutely the right thing Bri, I only wish someone had told me to have a PSATest a year or so earlier. Fingers crossed it can all be sorted fine., Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 08:51

Good on you for the "encouragement" to get a test.

Maybe right now both he and yourself are saying you wish you hadn't, but what is the alternative. Especially as your brother has more than one tumour.

A few untreated years further down the line doesn't bear thinking about does it. so yes, you definitely did the right thing

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 09:54

Brian, you are a loving caring Brother! He's lucky to have that!

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 10:40

hi bri

spot on the right thing to do, my brother went for his when I was diagnosed he got the all clear, but I think I know where you coming from as I get the guilt trip often, will have to tell my son to get one done eventually he is 38, not sure how I am going to do it

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 10:52
Bri

Sorry to hear about your brother but as everyone else has said you should not feel bad. The opposite you have done what any loving and caring brother would have and should have done.

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 18:03

I disagree - the poor brother didn't want a test, wanted to let sleeping dogs lie and was pushed and nagged ... now look! tihs has happened, everyone is upset, he has to make difficult choices that he would rather not be dealing with and it is your fault.

Even if that is how he feels right now Bri, I hope that given time he forgives you and accepts that it was better to know than not.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 19:09

If he really did not wish to know he would not have gone. I doubt you frogmarched him to the hospital for the tests? Now he can take steps to prolong his life, thanks to you.

No need for you to worry Brian.

atb

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 20:01

My brother is two years older than me and hasn't spoken to the largish family for years . He's a consultant Radiologist ( well was , but its a long story ) . He's fully aware of what has happened to me but my sister-in-law says he won't go for a test. I can hardly blame him to be honest , but surely he must be thinking and thinking about it.
One would think he was educated / stupid / stubborn enough to make his own mind up . I doubt anything I said would help.
I think you did the right thing -- it was your duty
Chris

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 21:48

Just to be clear, I was being ironic

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 21:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Just to be clear, I was being ironic

The irony was lost on me, a thick, but I am sure picked up on by everyone else!

dave

Edited by member 09 Sep 2015 at 22:03  | Reason: Not specified

I am the statistic.