Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tamsulosin & Blood Pressure

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 10:01

Hi Guys,

Prior to 2007 I hadn’t been to a doctors for several years, so when I went in with PCa symptoms they also gave me a full MOT and picked up that I had high blood pressure as well as PCa. 

I was put on Ramipril and amlodipine for the blood pressure, and have taken them daily ever since. 

I was also picked up as having Type 2 diabetes when they started treating my PCa. In March I got a good telling off from the diabetic review nurse and so went on a diet, since then I have slimmed down from 16 stone to 14 stone. 

I have been having a bit of PCa trouble since my salvage brachytherapy in February, so on Monday when I saw the PCa consultant, he put me on Tamsulosin.

Yesterday I went for a walk with friends and after the first 5 miles I suddenly went dizzy and collapsed, fortunately in the middle of a harvested field full of straw to break my fall, my mate called an ambulance and I was whisked off to hospital with low blood pressure 85 over 50!

I have been to see the GP this morning and she has decided that as my blood pressure is currently 135 over 85, (without taking any tablets today), I am officially diagnosed as no longer having high blood pressure. 

So while Tamsulosin is not really to blame for my problems, in that had I had my blood pressure tested more frequently we should have picked up that it was low and I no longer needed Ramipril etc, there is still an aspect of caution for those of you about to start on Tamsulosin. Because it seems that it will knock your blood pressure back. No problem for those of you with healthy blood pressure, but for guys like me, who have been on blood pressure medication for years without really checking that it was still necessary, Tamsulosin seems to have the ability to knock you off your perch. 

J

Dave

User
Posted 09 Sep 2015 at 10:54
Thanks Dave. Interesting.

My OH is in a similar position with BP recently lowered, which could be due to the Tamulosin.

Alison

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 12:51

I'm on Tamsulosin and have noticed the same thing a few times when standing/straightening up. I've only felt a bit light headed though, not completely passed out.

I have one of the original £10 Lloyds Chemist monitors and self-measure. My BP is normally around 130/70 but since taking Tamsulosin it has been averaging 120/65, I have seen it down to 87/56.

I'm not taking anything for BP, but it does warn youabout it in the leaflet.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 20:30
Thanks for posting this topic, my OH has just had radiotherapy session 11/25 today and mentioned at the weekend that that his flow was not as good as it had been - pre diagnosis there had been no problems and he was told by both urology and oncology consultants that he had a very good flow.

I told him to mention it at today's' session and just happened to read this thread whilst in the waiting room, strangely on the NHS website Tamsulosin does not mention Ramipril possibly causing interactions but Ramipril does list Tamsulosin!!

As my OH has taken Ramipril since his heart attack 5 years ago, and drives a taxi for a living, dizzy spells / fainting could prove fatal! He mentioned the flow problem / Ramipril medication to the radiologist but unfortunately as he had a late appointment there was no one she could speak to but she said she would find out tomorrow.

My OH, who doesn't post, says thanks very much for the heads up - he would've just taken anything that he would've been given without question!

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 22:05

Hi Maureen,

I think the best way to deal with this issue, is to put Tamsulosin and prostate cancer issues to one side and focus first upon blood pressure issues.

I was probablly typical of many in that when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure it was a major issue for both me and my doctors. The doctors had me back for several appointments as they started me on 5mg Ramiprill, then upped it to 10mg, then put me on other tablets, after several weeks I ended up on three different tablets every morning.

I even bought one of those blood pressure test machines from the chemists and used to take my blood pressure several times a day.

But as it stabilised, I got bored with that and got on with living my life, 3 monthly check ups with the doctors, became 6 monthly, and for 7 years every morning I dutifully took my Ramiprill tablet and the others.

So it came to pass that the last time my blood pressure was checked by anyone was last March, at my appointment with the dibetes nurse for my annual diabetic review. She told me to loose weight and I so I went on a diet, sliming down from 16 to 14 stone.

I did call and see the GP in the meantime (about PCa side effects, bowel issues etc) but neither me or my doctor bothered to test my blood pressure I just kept taking the tablets out of habit.

Then of course along came my appointment with my Consultant who put me on tamsulosin and I fell over, literally.

So I think the important lesson, is to keep getting your blood pressure checked, I know it is tedious, but it is important, as you said your husband is a taxi driver, I was lucky in that I was walking across a field of hay, couldn't have happened in a better place, but I had been driving a couple of hours earlier.

:)
Dave

User
Posted 10 Oct 2015 at 21:16

Hi Guys,

Last month my Consultant put me on Tamsulosin for urinary flow problems.

I take one capsule every morning, the current batch from the chemists are labelled "Zontiva Diffundox XL 400 mg (Tamsulosin hydrochloride)". 

I have found that they work well, especially during the morning, but as the day progresses I get more problems starting and stopping etc, and at night it is long drawn out process.

I know that some of you guys have talked of being on more than one tablet per day, do you take a higher dose rate?  do you take them at different times of the day?  Are there different brands with different potency?

I look forward to hearing of your experiences.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 10 Oct 2015 at 22:02

Dave

Been on that and changed to similar for a good decade. The uro told me from the start to be sure it was XL version (was then Flomax) as that indicates it's for nocturia. Hence why I and those I know are advised to take it or similar after or with evening meal.

Ray