Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just ended 10 chemo sessions

User
Posted 10 Sep 2015 at 18:44
Hi

Just finished 10th session of Chemotherapy.oncologist pleased with the results PSA down to 0.2 from 100+ back in Februaru 2015.

Steroids finished, and keen to get back back to normal ASAP.

Feel so tired and very fatigued, legs ache and find it difficult to walk far.

Sure there must be some similar patients out there who have gone through the same treatment as myself.

I'm curious as how they have managed,and how long it has taken for their condition to improve.

Seems to me once the chemo treatment has finished,it's off you go and good luck,in other words very little after care.

Regards To all

Alan

User
Posted 10 Sep 2015 at 23:59

Well done and good luck to you.Thanks for posting so that we newbies can see what is ahead.

Best wishes

SJB

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 13:48
Hi Steven

For myself I was pretty terrified of my first Chemo session, but to be perfectly honest it was not as bad as I had expected.

For the first 2 weeks the worse was mouth ulcers and sore lips. These symptoms continued after each session,until the 3rd week after chemo,and up to the 5th and 6th session. Then the fatigue really kicks in,did for me anyway,and has got progressively worse since, and right up to my 10th session 4 weeks ago.

I still find it difficult to walk far,and suffer from swollen feet,legs and hands. My oncologist assures me it will get better but, understandably would not say how long.

Hope this info helps,and that your PSA continues to fall.

Best Wishes

Alan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Sep 2015 at 23:59

Well done and good luck to you.Thanks for posting so that we newbies can see what is ahead.

Best wishes

SJB

User
Posted 11 Sep 2015 at 06:09
Hi Alan , well done for getting through the chemo.

Like you I was high PSA on diagnosis last November and then went through chemo (I also had RT afterwards for 6 sessions). I was definitely more tired during and after chemo although my oncologist said that was more the zoladex and biclutamide.hormone stuff. As for coming out the other side, well 4 months on I still don't have the energy I used to but all the rest has almost come back ie taste buds, hair (in fact more hair than I used to have on top!), less aches ( the aches I have now are more down to running). The one thing I still have is slightly numb toes and soles of my feet, that was from the chemo and may stay forever but it's not a problem at all.

Not sure if the above is any good to you, my PSA is now 0.4 from 342 but I am still G9 T4 M1N1a so just fingers crossed the zoladex carries on doing its bit for a while yet. This brings me on to the real issue ongoing which are dark thoughts, hard to get rid of in my case. I know some find it easy to put these to the back of their mind but I struggle with that.

Hope the next few months sees you with more energy, I found by pushing myself a little every day helped.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 11 Sep 2015 at 10:55
Hi Kev

Many thanks for your feedback. I feel things should get back to normal quick, but I see that that isn't the case.

My Onco says everyone is different,but you tend to think you are the exception. The numb toes and stiff legs are a problem,can only walk short distances at present which is so frustrating, but from what you say,it will improve. As for dark thoughts, we all go through those at some or another,for me it was early on,they do recur now and again,but thankfully less often. Do hope yours fade with time. I'm still G7 T4 M1,similar to you,told this is unlikely to change,as it's original diagnosis.

Been told that Zoladex will continue for the foreseeable future,my next Onco visit is December 7th,following blood test.

Just one question,how has your PSA results been since you finished Chemo?

Hope your situation continues to improve.

Thanks once again for your feedback

Kindest Regards

Alan

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 09:37

Hi Kev/Alan/Anyone,

Was with consultant last week and PSA has dropped to 40.2 (down form 294, 214) following the first three month. We have decided to go for earlier chemo, Docetaxel and start in a couple of weeks time. I know following discussions that everyone is different and have different side effects. I am now trying to get my workload down to be more manageable and intend to keep working mostly in mornings and reduced in afternoons. My work does involves noseying around peoples houses and up and down ladders, so can be physical.

Just how tried did you get during the chemo and how does the numbing in hands and feet affect you. I hear that the first week is ok but the second week is more draining. Would that be right? I realise, now, that I wan to be a fit as possible going into treatment and to stay that way over treatment is to no exhaust yourself and realise you cant do it all as you did previously.

Any advice gratefully received.

Steven 

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 13:48
Hi Steven

For myself I was pretty terrified of my first Chemo session, but to be perfectly honest it was not as bad as I had expected.

For the first 2 weeks the worse was mouth ulcers and sore lips. These symptoms continued after each session,until the 3rd week after chemo,and up to the 5th and 6th session. Then the fatigue really kicks in,did for me anyway,and has got progressively worse since, and right up to my 10th session 4 weeks ago.

I still find it difficult to walk far,and suffer from swollen feet,legs and hands. My oncologist assures me it will get better but, understandably would not say how long.

Hope this info helps,and that your PSA continues to fall.

Best Wishes

Alan

User
Posted 18 Nov 2015 at 21:28

Hi alan ,

how are you doing after chemo ..

Im only on my second cycle ,and so far no problems. My white blood cells are low after having a post blood test from my first cycle so been given an injection to boast and produce more white cells .But feel fine ...

Gary

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 07:01
Hi Gary, glad to hear that chemo is ok so far for you.

Just a thought as it was never mentioned to me but became an issue, after the second injection to get more white blood cells I began to have severe back pain ( about 6 hours later), this got so bad that I had to go to A&E my temperature had shot up and I was near crying in pain. They gave me a load of morphine which did not do much however about 5 hours later the pain went. I was later told that it was a known side effect of the injection for some people. I did not have any more injections.

It may not happen to you but just wanted to give you a heads up in case you get bone pain.

Take care

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 07:21

morning all
regards the chemo I have had 3 cycles out of 6 of Docetaxel, decided to stop working until all cycles complete as it is causing a bit more fatigue and breathlessness

have the odd morning where some muscles feel numb, otherwise I don't feel any different to how I was before starting chemo, could be I am just lucky or the effects may kick in more later

tend to have back pain regular but the co cordamol will ease it off

toast would e really careful on ladders as your leg muscles may go without warning

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 15:30

thanks nidge and kev,

i did read another thread that you mentioned your nightmare with the injection and it stayed in the back of my mind when the nurse gave me the injections on tuesday at the hospital .They are still sitting in the fridge . waiting till after dinner for the first injection ........will update but thank you for the advice

Im only working a couple of days a week ,more for my mental state as my girlfriend said im a lot easier to live with after working

gary

User
Posted 21 Nov 2015 at 23:45

Thanks nidge on ladder advise, and I'll keep aware of fatigue! I've just had third session and to be honest upto now have been ok. However this time it seems to have taken a bit out of me, two days after feeling abit drained and down. I've still been walking regularly and doing the chores as well as working, so trying to be active.
Gary- like you I keep working as I it keeps my mental state on the level and keeps my mind off things. Hope your next session goes well
Steven

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 11:11

Hi everybody. I am on number 6 out of 10 Cabataxal Chemo. This is the third set of Chemo I have had over the last 4 years.Found people have different reactions to chemo.
Started with 10 shots of Doxetaxal 4 years ago and found it hard going. Tired, breathless, loss of taste, numb toes, hair loss, finger and toe nails dropped out,constipation,runs, yet a friend who was on exactly same treatment had no side effects whatsoever.

12 months after finished Doxetaxal started Cabataxal as psa was rising. not as bad reaction this time but did suffer from being tired and breathlessness. had 10 shots and got more tired as time went on.

Had abbeytabs and some other treatments and started another session of cabataxal in July. I have had six shots and not had many problems. loss of taste (fairly standard) numb toes, but I find as you have more shots you begin to feel more tired and breathless. I keep a daily diary of symptoms which I find really useful as they tend to follow a pattern so you can predict good days and bad days. Anyone wants a copy PM me.

Things return nearly to normal when chemo stops. Still had numb toes and my hair never returned but other than that life is good. Biggest problem I have is not being able to get travel insurance so risk going without it!  Hope this helps.

Edited by member 22 Nov 2015 at 11:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 16:54

Hi guys,

Have survived the injection for boasting my white blood cells ,cant remember the name of it. but had the last of three on saturday and feel fine ......

have a little rash in my left armpit ,like a cluster of pimples all under the skin ,????? did anyone get them?????

Still feeling good ,get waves of tiredness but working and taking the dogs out ,even dog sitting for a friend at the moment ...