I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

paying for treatment

User
Posted 12 Sep 2015 at 09:50

if as might happen I get refused the docetaxel chemo I was told would get starting in September, is it possible to pay private and how much would it cost, anyone got any ideas

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 22:44

Bladerunner, Why should we have to pay. A lot of people can't afford to purchase these drugs. People who have paid taxes all of their working lives are now denied the treatment they require. I feel so strongly about this I am writing to all our M.Ps. Attached is a copy of the letter I have written to David Cameron. I am not holding my breath but it is better to do SOMETHING rather than sit back and accept this injustice.

Dear Mr Cameron,

I don’t suppose you will read this but I have to try.

You will be aware that N.H.S. England has recently removed a number of Cancer Drugs from a list that Doctors can prescribe to Cancer sufferers. Drugs that can extend a Cancer patients life, and possibly enhance the quality of the remaining life of these people who are unfortunate to have been diagnosed with Cancer.

The reason for their removal is purely on cost grounds.

The facts are that by not making these drugs available, your Government has sentenced thousands of Children, Women and Men to an early death.

Research into cures for cancer, and life enhancing drugs for sufferers has, and continues to, improve chances of recovery and/or extends the life of these patients. This research, unfortunately, is of no benefit, if patients are denied access to newly developed drugs.

Britain has an enviable reputation throughout the World for compassion, offering aid and asylum to those in trouble, quite rightly, but, it does not extend that compassion to its own citizens by denying the funding for life saving drugs.

It is a fact that Britain has the worst record for cancer treatment in the Western World.

It is ironic that recently, a bill advocating assisted suicide, was recently defeated in ‘The House’, yet the same Government can actively deny life extending drugs to people of this Country who are fighting to live.

I would declare a vested interest in this matter. I am a Cancer Patient. One who has been denied any further treatment due to this decision by N.H.S. to remove certain drugs allowed to be subsidised by the Cancer Drug Fund. The only drug available for further treatment for me (Radium223) cannot now be prescribed due to this cost cutting measure. Without this drug I will die. I cannot describe how this feels.

I have participated in a number of drug trials in the past, taking untested drugs, developed to hopefully treat cancer. Some with success, some with unfortunate effects, but in my mind, I was doing my bit to develop new drugs for the future. 

What was the point, if drugs are developed and are then denied to patients on cost grounds?     

I implore your Government to reverse the decision of N.H.S. England to remove life saving drugs from The Cancer Drug Fund, and increase the budget for this fund.

Yours Sincerely

Trevor

Edited by member 17 Sep 2015 at 22:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 10:20

Nidge, I fully understand your feelings. I feel exactly the same as you. In addition I also feel frustrated by the apathy demonstrated by patients who just accept the status quo. If this was animal cruelty or some similar cause there would be demonstrations and riots on the streets, but people needlessly dying early is totally ignored.

I am luckier (sic) than you in that I have been involved in trials of Cabataxal Aberaterone  Enzalutamide and recently, at the Marsden, of an unnamed drug that unfortunately didn’t work for me and had serious consequences. I am on yet another trial, but on conclusion of this, which is soon, I was advised Radium 223 was the next and final treatment. This now has been denied me, and hundreds of people like me and you. I, like you, would welcome any suggestions as to how we can obtain any effective treatment after my third course of 10 shots of Chemotherapy is concluded, or you not being prescribed treatment on cost grounds. I refuse to be allowed to die without making a fuss, hence the letters to MPs and lobbying wherever and as often as I can. Don’t give up Nidge.

Trevor

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 13:10

This is all very difficult stuff for those of us in the middle of it all to have a dissipationate view. There are many shortages in the public sector and that is a political decision made by a morally bankrupt government. As a result there are restricted choices all around us. The scandal of food banks is one stark example that something is not right in this country.

On the other hand since I was diagnosed opportunities to extend my life have emerged and I am grateful for the time it gives me. I did not get the option of early chemo but am still here nearly four years later and still have that option to go. At my last onco appointment we discussed the likely next steps which would be enzo, chemo and then radium 223. Now I see the last option has been removed. I am disappointed about that and hope that campaigning will restore some of the cancer drugs removed. But I don't run my life only for what is or is not available as only chemo was available when I started this journey and look what additional options are now available. It is richer in terms of treatment options than it was.

I judge my remaining time as one of extracting the quality from it and am less concerned about the quantity. That philosophy approached positively allows me to concentrate on living and it's been a successful strategy thus far. There will be an end point for me and I may reach the point that another round of chemo or a new trial drug will not be palatable because the quality of my life has been lost. We are all immeasurably better off than we were five years ago in terms of treatment and we should fight for more and more but don't lose sight of the bigger picture and just get on with living. Topgun and others knew this so well.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Sep 2015 at 16:56

Can't find any costs for docetaxel here:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/pe/cdf/cdf-drug-sum/#sept

but costs for another chemo treatment, cabazitaxel, are:

The cost of cabazitaxel per 3-week cycle at the list price (including VAT) for a patient of body surface area 1.8m² for this indication is £4435. The median duration of treatment in the cabazitaxel was six 3-weekly cycles (4.2 mo).

from here:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ncdf-summ-cabaztxl-post-doctxl.pdf

User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 19:11

I am in that position...

I asked about private treatment and was told £2-3K per cycle for 6 cycles. I believe Docatexel itself isn't that expensive as it is out of patent, a lot of the cost is hospital charges and the other drugs required.

I was referred for a 2nd opinion to RM who may be funding but still haven't received a reply :(

User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 20:33

thanks for the replies, am going for a referral tomorrow am paying private for it but my firm say they may reimburse me for the cost, will keep you posted

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 18:04

I read somewhere that Docatexel works out at 28p per day.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 22:44

Bladerunner, Why should we have to pay. A lot of people can't afford to purchase these drugs. People who have paid taxes all of their working lives are now denied the treatment they require. I feel so strongly about this I am writing to all our M.Ps. Attached is a copy of the letter I have written to David Cameron. I am not holding my breath but it is better to do SOMETHING rather than sit back and accept this injustice.

Dear Mr Cameron,

I don’t suppose you will read this but I have to try.

You will be aware that N.H.S. England has recently removed a number of Cancer Drugs from a list that Doctors can prescribe to Cancer sufferers. Drugs that can extend a Cancer patients life, and possibly enhance the quality of the remaining life of these people who are unfortunate to have been diagnosed with Cancer.

The reason for their removal is purely on cost grounds.

The facts are that by not making these drugs available, your Government has sentenced thousands of Children, Women and Men to an early death.

Research into cures for cancer, and life enhancing drugs for sufferers has, and continues to, improve chances of recovery and/or extends the life of these patients. This research, unfortunately, is of no benefit, if patients are denied access to newly developed drugs.

Britain has an enviable reputation throughout the World for compassion, offering aid and asylum to those in trouble, quite rightly, but, it does not extend that compassion to its own citizens by denying the funding for life saving drugs.

It is a fact that Britain has the worst record for cancer treatment in the Western World.

It is ironic that recently, a bill advocating assisted suicide, was recently defeated in ‘The House’, yet the same Government can actively deny life extending drugs to people of this Country who are fighting to live.

I would declare a vested interest in this matter. I am a Cancer Patient. One who has been denied any further treatment due to this decision by N.H.S. to remove certain drugs allowed to be subsidised by the Cancer Drug Fund. The only drug available for further treatment for me (Radium223) cannot now be prescribed due to this cost cutting measure. Without this drug I will die. I cannot describe how this feels.

I have participated in a number of drug trials in the past, taking untested drugs, developed to hopefully treat cancer. Some with success, some with unfortunate effects, but in my mind, I was doing my bit to develop new drugs for the future. 

What was the point, if drugs are developed and are then denied to patients on cost grounds?     

I implore your Government to reverse the decision of N.H.S. England to remove life saving drugs from The Cancer Drug Fund, and increase the budget for this fund.

Yours Sincerely

Trevor

Edited by member 17 Sep 2015 at 22:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 00:26

I think access to new treatments via drugs fund and access to a treatment which clinicians dont believe to be appropriate are different issues.

I wrote a similar letter to the MPs in our region - the CDF is being undermined by political chess playing.

But I suspect Bladerunner is in a different arena. I wonder if there has been a misunderstanding - possibly the on co described the trial and assumed he could get BR on only to discover he doesn't meet the criteria. I don't think people can buy their way onto trials can they as that could compromise the data

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 05:18

my oncologist at donny offered me treatment either stampede or early stage docetaxel chemo, I chose docetaxel, then to be informed that they had changed the criteria and if I do not meet this will be unlikely to be offered it, also the time span has now taken me beyond being able to go on stampede

paying for treatment was a consideration but having 18-20,000 pounds I don't have

so yes I feel cheated, unwanted, not cared for by the NHS, and a burden, they have played russain roulette with my life and I have lost, not that they are bothered they will just move on

if someone had said if you get this disease called cancer where would you like to be treated, my answer know would be anywhere that isn't covered by Weston park

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 10:20

Nidge, I fully understand your feelings. I feel exactly the same as you. In addition I also feel frustrated by the apathy demonstrated by patients who just accept the status quo. If this was animal cruelty or some similar cause there would be demonstrations and riots on the streets, but people needlessly dying early is totally ignored.

I am luckier (sic) than you in that I have been involved in trials of Cabataxal Aberaterone  Enzalutamide and recently, at the Marsden, of an unnamed drug that unfortunately didn’t work for me and had serious consequences. I am on yet another trial, but on conclusion of this, which is soon, I was advised Radium 223 was the next and final treatment. This now has been denied me, and hundreds of people like me and you. I, like you, would welcome any suggestions as to how we can obtain any effective treatment after my third course of 10 shots of Chemotherapy is concluded, or you not being prescribed treatment on cost grounds. I refuse to be allowed to die without making a fuss, hence the letters to MPs and lobbying wherever and as often as I can. Don’t give up Nidge.

Trevor

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 22:31

It must be very hard to know that you are being denied life extending drugs because of cost. (I am mindful that sometime on my cancer journey I might find myself in this situation).
However, the NHS is under tremendous pressure with a growing and ageing population with higher expectations from it and with more expensive equipment and higher cost drugs to fund. There is also a need for more appropriately and highly trained staff which will add considerably to costs. Notwithstanding any small savings that may be possible within the NHS itself, the situation is only likely to improve if there is a very large increase in the NHS budget. All Government Departmental budgets have been squeezed - one of the few exceptions being the overseas aid budget as has been mentioned previously where the UK donates more than any other European country. There is a strong feeling among many people that much of this is wasted and some of the money could be better spent on the NHS . Another way might be to raise a tax specifically for the NHS which would be 'ring fenced'. However, many people feel that we are already too highly taxed in the UK so whether this would work out I don't know.

Meanwhile, the NHS is expected to provide a better service than it can with insufficient resources and inevitably some patients are not going to get the latest and most expensive drugs, especially where lives are only likely to be extended for a short time. Some argue that younger patients should have priority here. An irony is that patients who want to die are being given treatment and facilities to keep them alive, whereas others patients who want to live are being denied drugs that would help them do so.

I also wrote to the PM about these and others matters quite a time ago. My letter was passed on to several departments and after a long delay I got a very 'woolly' response which made me feel I had wasted my time.

Barry
User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 23:27
Nidge, Barry and Trevor

I whole heartedly agree with you about many points here. Drugs being withdrawn on cost basis, postcode lottery and all of the inconsistencies of treatment etc. I also feel that the decision by the political powers to deny a person the right to choose when to die and by default where to die is ridiculous.

I saw my Godfather and Uncle die a slow miserable death from MND he would have happily ended his own life if he could have, by the time he realised he wanted to it was all too late. Had any of us helped him to do so we would have been up on charges of manslaughter or even murder. So denying drugs that may extend the life of someone who really wants to live is in my humble opinion tantamount to the same crimes of manslaughter or even murder.

We are facing serious moral issues, do we use the budgets and resources we have to treat those who were born in this country or live in this country legally and those who pay their dues to this country and who take nothng else from it, or do we treat health tourists and illegal immigrants. Then do we go further and refuse treatment to drug addicts, criminals, pensioners, fat people, thin people, alcoholics etc.

This will always be an emotive and difficult debate and when the options have or are running out even more difficult to deal with.

I applaud those who campaign for better treatment and a more consistent policy, but at the same time I recognise that there is a price to pay for everything what you give to one you take from another.

Not a good situation at all

xx

Mo

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 05:49

this may open a can of worms, but some of the people you mentioned chose to go down the path they are on and demand and say it is my right to have this treatment or it is against my human rights not to get want they want

I never and most on here did not choose this path, and yet get told no you are not getting this or that, I don't want to write much more as I am to angry, not with anyone on the post mind

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 08:08

Nidge...when they say you no longer meet the criteria for docatexel why is this? Can you write to senior management at WP?

Bri

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 08:34

Mr Bladerunner,

its very easy for me to say fightback, I'm not in your position,

I'd seriously consider writing to your local MP, you can do this via a simple email, make sure you put your own home address so they know your a constituent, check her/him online, to get there email address, and raise awareness of your situation, you dont have to wait weeks to visit there office and speak in person, email is the fastest way to get a response IMO, even if they pass on up the chain of command etc

also maybe via social media, FB etc, perhaps friends,and relatives can to write in too, its a start and who knows where it will go

personally what I'd really like to do is to punch those mother******* politicians on the nose, direct action you might say, just to draw there attention .

I wish you luck

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 08:47

my MP blows with the wind

run long and prosper

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 11:22

I understand why some of you are angry but I don't think some of the posts here are that rational.

We don't encourage anyone to rant or challenge or contact their GP when they don't meet the criteria for Stampede or PIVOTs or any of the other clinical trials and this is no different. Early chemo is still in the trial phase - they need to gather sufficient data to prove it works and get NICE to approve it for everyone. The NHS will not see it as playing with Nidge's life or refusing him a treatment he has a right to - at the moment, early chemo is unproven in their eyes and he is being offered what other men in England get.

Even 12 months ago on here, if we heard a man was being offered chemo we were all sad because we knew that meant he had run out of alternatives and was moving into the end stage. It has moved on so quickly for the scientists and for us because we have members who have had the early chemo and got great results but that doesn't translate into everyone having a right to it immediately - look at the Abbi/Enzo debate and Allister's struggle to get a treatment he desperately needs.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 13:10

This is all very difficult stuff for those of us in the middle of it all to have a dissipationate view. There are many shortages in the public sector and that is a political decision made by a morally bankrupt government. As a result there are restricted choices all around us. The scandal of food banks is one stark example that something is not right in this country.

On the other hand since I was diagnosed opportunities to extend my life have emerged and I am grateful for the time it gives me. I did not get the option of early chemo but am still here nearly four years later and still have that option to go. At my last onco appointment we discussed the likely next steps which would be enzo, chemo and then radium 223. Now I see the last option has been removed. I am disappointed about that and hope that campaigning will restore some of the cancer drugs removed. But I don't run my life only for what is or is not available as only chemo was available when I started this journey and look what additional options are now available. It is richer in terms of treatment options than it was.

I judge my remaining time as one of extracting the quality from it and am less concerned about the quantity. That philosophy approached positively allows me to concentrate on living and it's been a successful strategy thus far. There will be an end point for me and I may reach the point that another round of chemo or a new trial drug will not be palatable because the quality of my life has been lost. We are all immeasurably better off than we were five years ago in terms of treatment and we should fight for more and more but don't lose sight of the bigger picture and just get on with living. Topgun and others knew this so well.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 18:06

It's OK saying that some drugs are still in the trial stage. I accept that drugs that work for one patient won't necessarily work for another, but for tried and tested drugs, i.e. Aberaterone, Enzalutamide, Radium 223 and Cabataxal to be denied purely on cost grounds is immoral,unethical and a crime against humanity. When you are in a position where quality of life is good (as in my case) and the desire to maintain that quality is denied, due to mismanagement of funds, then I think you have a right to be angry and rant and rave. It is apathy that allows Governments to get away with it. Everybody affected SHOULD STAND UP AND BE COUNTED before it is too late for them. Rant Over.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 15:55

Politicians love nothing more than a passive public.....there's cash in the system...hey they were kind enough to award themselves a pay rise recently...along with giving away lots of free money to some rather suspect foreign governments across the world.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 16:08

As I said above, I am in this situation and I went to see my MP a couple of weeks back. Luckily for me he is a bit of a campaigner and has had some success getting NHS treatment that was previously denied for local people with a range of conditions. He's written to various bodies already and we're waiting for a response. He's also prepared to bring it up in the house and ask the PM but didn't want to 'ruffle those feathers too early'. Hopefully he will get a reply where I have failed...

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 22:40

To be fair, the Government (MP's) did not award themselves a pay rise. The award was made by an independent body and some MP's decided to donate the increase to charity. But I certainly agree that UK Governments have supported some dodgy Governments.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Oct 2015 at 22:11

Update to my earlier replies in case it's useful:

First treatment cost £2450. Assuming the same for each cycle, that's a little bit under £15000. Onco's charges take it slightly over.

MP has received replies from: (paraphrased)

Local trust - No

NHS England - No, but under review (i.e. no longer on-hold) following CHAARTED publication and STAMPEDE.

Sec of State for Health - Nothing to stop Trust funding if it wishes.

Oh and I've been mentioned in Hansard :) Sec of State looking into it...