Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Protein EN2 urine test for prostate cancer

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 16:26

Hi

The Daily Telegraph printed an article last week about a new urine test which gives a "marker" for prostate cancer. This is a cheap test which identifies the levels of  protein EN2 in a urine sample and can produce the result in minutes. The level of protein EN2 in the sample is linked to the size of the tumour.

In trials over 5 years involving 77,000 men the test detected about 90% of prostate cancers.

It looks as though DREs and biopsies could become redundant along with a reduction in overdiagnosis and overtreatment for some men. There is possibility that the EN2 urine test may be used in screening for men over the age of 55.

You can read the article at the link below.    

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11858609/Prostate-cancer-test-which-detects-tumour-size-could-save-thousands-of-lives.html

This may turn out to be good news but anyone who has been around prostate cancer for a number of years will have seen “good news” like this come and go. I would like to think this could be different. I remember reading about this some years ago and you can see an early report from NHS Choices published in March 2011 at the link below.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/03March/Pages/new-prostate-cancer-test-studied.aspx

You can see more reports and comments on this test if you google:

“EN2 protein test for prostate cancer”

Alan

Edited by moderator 06 Jul 2023 at 10:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 16:42

Good spot, thanks for posting Alan!

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 20:06
Alan

Great post thanks the EN2 test has just come into the course I am doing so if I find out more and have any more articles on it when I get home later this week I will post them on here.

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 08:27

It sounds very promising and could offer a screening programme that doesn't produce a significant high number of false positives like the PSA test.

Bri