I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Long Haul Trucker, should I return to work after diagnosis?

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 19:22
Greetings, I'm seeking an opinion(s) whether I should return to work as a long haul driver at this time.

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma Sept 10 2015 less than 1 week ago.

T2, Gleason score 7 (3+4), PSA >11 <20, Group IIA, radical prostatectomy recommended as treatment.

I drive throughout Canada and the USA. Each tour is 7 to 12 days out. 7 days home.

My concern is the potential consequences of being in the truck with full knowledge of having cancer.

For example, in the event of a collision, a lawyer may argue i was distracted with personal issues and I should not have been in the truck.

This job has the potential to be very dangerous to myself and others. I regularly haul over 80,000lbs and Dangerous goods. I have over 7 years experience with no accidents (yet).

Although I feel fine, I'm not sure how that might change after several days on the road.

Any thoughts and/or insights would be greatly appreciated, particularly from other drivers.

Cheers.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 22:03

Hi Hippie,
we are a UK based forum and I think the views and experiences of members here may not be that helpful to you as the US is so much more litigious than the UK. Having said that, most people on here manage to continue working just fine - except for those recovering from the op - and on the basis of your stats and early diagnosis, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to work. Why not give your insurer a call and ask for a view - you could always have the conversation without giving your name to begin with just in case.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 23:42

Hi Hippie,

Once you have fully recovered from the operation and feel capable of doing what is a very demanding job from both physical and mental aspects, I don't see why you shouldn't do the job again. However, Lyn makes a good point about checking this first with your insurers or companies insurers if you are not self employed. Prostatectomy is a major operation and it can take longer than your body may tell you to fully recover. So don't start work again too soon in your own interest and potentially of others.

Safe driving!

Barry
User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 00:03

Hi Hippie

Taking all goes well after the op then physically I can't see any reason why not. As Lyn and Barry commented worth asking the insurance.

However there is the mind issue of cancer. In the sense of if you feel even with a successful op life might seem to be short then your risk taking could be higher. In which case should you be driving?

Might be worth seeking some professional advice?

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 17:53

Hippe,

if you feel you can do the job and your confident with that decision I'd say carry on , you know more than anyone about your abilities....besides what will you do with yourself...work in an office !  :-(

if your self employed no one gives a toss as to what you do... In my experience

Good Luck

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 18:15

Guys, I'm not sure whether I have misunderstood or whether it's you lot. Seemed to me that Hippie has been off work this week since he was diagnosed and is asking whether he should work in this first phase between diagnosis & deciding on treatment????

Personally, I don't know of many here that had the luxury of any time off when they got the news but perhaps different in the US?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 18:21

Hello Hippie
I would say carry on if you actually feel fine , and there was good advice from the others . However Insurance companies will normally break a leg to not pay out even when nothing is amiss . If you ask them , don't be surprised at all if they say you shouldn't be driving or that they wont insure you anymore. ALSO there are strict rules coming into force in this country whereby you can be prescribed drugs for pain , depression etc etc , but they say you should be careful operating machinery and / or driving. It used to be up to your own discretion as to whether you felt capable . I believe now if you are involved in an accident and fail to disclose any drugs you are taking , then you are breaking the law and will normally find your insurance is void. Insurance is the only legal form of extortion in my opinion.
Chris

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 20:06
Hey all, good insights and suggestions about Insurance and how I feel.

To clairify, I'm a Canadian driver and run in the US. 7 days on 7 days off. I was diagnosed less than one week ago. Radical surgery is the treatment for me.

I guess my real concern is that,

I don't feel concerned. Is it typical to feel unconcerned? or, does reality usually catch up unpredictably.

Of course I understand we're all different and react individually. I'm just wondering is it usual to feel detached from the news I have PC?

Understandably I am concerned, I don't think I'm in denial. I just don't feel concern for myself or this disease.

I guess I'm just surprised.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 20:23
and yes by the way Lyn you are correct, the US seems far more litigus than other countries which, begs my concern. Is my reaction typical? If so, I should be comfortable continuing to drive.

If my reaction is not typical, could an unscrupulous lawyer use that against me in the event something should happen?

Perhaps I read too many crime novels and I'm over thinking things.

Raymond (hippie)

User
Posted 15 Sep 2015 at 20:31
I should add that I'm grateful for this forum and the opportunity to have this discussion.

R