Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ROB HAS LEFT US

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 16:01

Dear Friends,

I have just received the terrible news that Rob passed away on Tuesday 15th September.

His wife Michelle says that the end came peacefully after just three days in a nursing home. During the previous month, PCa had spread rapidly in his liver.

A lot of us have had the pleasure of knowing Rob for over 10 years, and of course many have met Rob and Michelle at the annual get-togethers.

He was one of the nicest men you could wish to meet, and his knowledge of PCa was immense.
He researched the illness thoroughly, and I don't think anyone will forget his tremendous participation on PCa forums since 2005.

His posts were always thoughtful and helpful and his consideration for others shone through.

REST IN PEACE

ROB

YOU WERE A GIANT AMONGST US

User
Posted 26 Sep 2015 at 22:02
It was a terrible for me tonight when I logged into a chat which Rob was a regular participant , to be told he passed away was chatting to him 4 weeks ago when he did impart not so good news to us. But I never suspected his end was so close, I take some comfort from the knowledge that his passing was peaceful. He was in the same position virtually as myself but about 18 months behind me in diagnosis terms, he helped me many times with his knowledge of this dreadful disease, we chatted just between us at the end of our chats, I am eternally grateful that we had that relationship.

To say I will miss him is a total understatement, there are so many of us who relied on Rob in so many different ways, his legacy in the field of PCa will survive him for many years which at this moment is the best tribute I can pay to our dear friend and helper.

I will miss Rob but keep him in my memory, RIP brother and a million thanks for being so helpful to me and many others.

Larry

Edited by member 26 Sep 2015 at 22:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Sep 2015 at 16:19

Hi Larry,

Such heartfelt comments from you about Rob. We both know how much he did for so many over those long years.

What a great friend to have on your side.

Missing his funeral was just one of those things. I was mad as hell on the day though!

I was carrying an A4 envelope containing print-outs of all the touching tributes posted by his friends here and on other sites, and in the flood of emails sent to me by his friends further afield.

Next morning I posted them directly to Michelle and I hope she's received them by now. I know how much she wanted to read them.

Yes, you're right about me posting so many sad notices. They go back all the way to 2007 when I got the very first phone call from a bereaved wife. That call is forever in my memory.

I dread to think how many have passed away in the meantime.

On my own smallish website (B2PCa) we've now lost 41 friends since it began 9yrs ago.

Only about six weeks ago I was thinking we may get through the year without another loss after Mike Brooks's passing in January.

I knew the situation with Rob, but I felt sure we'd have him a while longer. Sadly, it wasn't to be.

One good thing we can treasure is the times we were lucky enough to spend with so many of these dear friends at The Mill in summer and The Euston Flyer in December.

It really is a consolation.

Rest In Peace Rob

George

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 23:28

I didn't see that coming - rather wish I hadn't checked in now.

Say-it-how-it-is no-nonsense Rob, if you said it I usually took it seriously. I wonder if you are tucking in to a big steak now - if so, enjoy it my friend x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Sep 2015 at 12:57
George, you have had the misfortune of informing us on too many occasions the passing of members of this forum. It shocked me last night when I logged into the chat to be told Rob had passed away, I have been absent from the chat for three weeks which is very unusual for me. I did know Rob has serious issues but did not expect the news of his passing. It had been a rocky year for Rob with the progression of his PCa plus Michelle's health issues also, we supported Rob in the chat as best we could he appeared to accept his situation with his usual determination and vigour.

I hope you can accept that the efforts you made to arrive at Robs funeral although it ended in failure, was in no way your fault for some reason it was not to be. I appreciate you were and still are gutted but please do not blame yourself in any way. You made valiant efforts under extremely difficult circumstances both emotionally and logistically, so reflect on those aspects and feel rightly proud of your efforts.

Please do not reproach yourself in any way because you did not achieve your desired result. I pass on my sincere thanks that you always have the kindness and willingness to assist others when the need arises.

Larry

User
Posted 03 Apr 2016 at 00:49

This is the fourth death I have heard of today and I feel overwhelmed.

Sleep peacefully Michelle

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 16:14

Sorry to hear this.
Rest In Peace Rob.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 16:40

Gutted to hear this news. Only recently did he email me with advice on my current problems. Much of what I learnt about PCa came initially from Rob. A true friend and hero in my books.

Rest in Peace Rob

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 16:59

This is real sad news, he was an exceptional member of this forum. He was a very strong believer that diet had a big impact on PCa

He'll be truly missed.

Stu

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 17:57

Sad news.  But well done Rob for kicking that initial diagnosis into touch. And thanks for all the dietary advice, certainly helped me in the early days. Rest in peace.

Flexi

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 18:27

This is really sad news. Over many years Rob's contribution to the Message Board has been immense. Rob always produced quality postings which reflected his detailed knowledge of  this disease which he shared with others. His research was thorough and always  relevant. Not many like Rob! 

Condolances to Michelle.

Alan    

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 18:55

Hi,

Really sorry to hear that Rob has passed away.  When I first joined the site, he was one of the first people to reply to my post, with very helpful advice. 

I really admired and respected his opinions about diet and only sorry that I never got to meet him.

He is a great loss to this site.

Condolances to Michelle. 

Rest in Peace, Rob.

Steve

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 19:06
I'm so sorry to hear this news. As others have said, Rob's scholarly thoughts and comments were always much appreciated. I am not sure why but I didn't realise he was so ill. Rest in Peace Rob.

Love Allison and John

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 19:11
So sad to hear this, please pass on my condolences to Michelle. Robs advice helped me more than words can say.

RIP Rob

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 19:28

Such sad news, when I was searching for answers nearly 10 years ago he was most helpful to me too, he will be sorely missed as his posts were always concise.

Our sincere condolences Michele. RIP Rob.

Chris and Shirley.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 19:49
Another good man taken from this forum.Sad news ,

Sending my condolences to family at this time and the months to come

R.I.P. ROB

Carol x

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 20:08
I am so very sad to hear this news, Rob was so lovely to me, always helpful and honest about Mick's turbulent journey with PCa. His knowledge was greatly respected. I will miss him and I send my most sincere condolences to Michelle. This forum has lost an inspirational man

RIP Rob

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 20:21

My condolences to Michelle, I am so sad to hear of Rob's passing, my thoughts are with his family in the days to come. He leaves many friends on this forum,

Fiona.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 20:28

What a sad loss, please pass my condolences to Michelle and his family.

In all honesty I cannot think of anyone who helped me with quite so much sound advice as Rob.

He was a very thorough researcher, and knew the answers to all of the questions, before I had even worked out which questions to ask.

But at the same time he was polite, patient and tolerant of those of us stumbbling to make sense of prostate cancer.

One of the best has left us.

:

Dave

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 21:10

Very sad news. Condolences to his wife and family

Bri

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 21:19

George I absolutely go along with your words about Rob.

I was on the verge of asking how Rob was getting along as his indepth knowledge was sadly missed here. Well now I know why.

To Rob's family and friends I send my condolences and please never ever forget how well respected he was here and on other forums .Peace be with you at this sad time.

Ray

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 23:18
Thank you for letting us know, George. And as others have said Rob was such a special man. Always thoughtful, kind and offering good advice. My sincere condolences to Michelle.

Love Janet

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 23:28

I didn't see that coming - rather wish I hadn't checked in now.

Say-it-how-it-is no-nonsense Rob, if you said it I usually took it seriously. I wonder if you are tucking in to a big steak now - if so, enjoy it my friend x

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 23:43

I am devastated to learn Rob is no longer with us. He carried out extensive research and helped so many people on this forum. He will be remembered not just for his expertise but for being the very nice person many of us knew. My sincere condolences to Rob's family and friends.

Barry
User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 05:22

sorry to read this sounds a special guy

just a thought would it be an idea for anyone who was helped by rob to post the best advice or help he offered

it may help others

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 07:59

Such sad news.

RIP Rob

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 11:27

So sad to hear this. A knowledgeable man about PCA and a kind individual. RIP Rob.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 13:38
Sorry to hear this sad news. Please pass on my sincerest condolences to the family.

RIP Rob

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 18:34

Rob was a dedicated survivor. He never stopped helping others while fighting his own disease. He always provided well informed answers and will be missed here and other forums in which he participated. RIP Old friend! Condolences to Michelle.

Ralph

Edited by member 19 Sep 2015 at 18:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 20:42
I didn't know Rob however looking back he said some wise words to me on this forum late last year, people like him helped (and help) people like me make it through some of the crap us sufferers go through and his loss is as sad as any to this rubbish disease however he continues to give me hope that I will outlive my initial average prognosis. Hope there is an afterlife and if there is you are having a ball Rob, see you there I hope one day but a good few years time. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 18:22

Michelle has asked me to give details of
Rob's Funeral Service.

It will be held on

THURSDAY 24th SEPT @ 3PM

HOLY CROSS CHURCH
RAMSBURY
WILTSHIRE
SN8 2QH

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 09:11

So sad to read this I didn't know how poorly he was either.

RIP Rob

My thoughts are with his family. X

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 14:48

I did not know Rob, but obviously very well respected on this forum.

RIP my friend.

My Condolences to his family

x

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 13:12

A really nice guy who shall be missed by all that knew him.

Rest easy Rob

Roger
User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 05:41
Terrible news

Sleep easy pal.

Bazza

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 21:47

Hi,

Rob's funeral went well this afternoon.  A very nice service, attended by family, friends, Chris & Shirley and me.  Unfortunately, George wasn't able to attend due to travel problems (I'm sure he'll explain later).  

The weather stayed fine for the important moments.  We were made very welcome by Rob's wife, Michelle and his family.

Really pleased I was able to attend.

Steve

User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 17:30

Dear friends,

I wasn't able to get to Rob's funeral - after total early morning chaos on the railways lines in Northumberland just 20 miles north of Newcastle.

There was a major incident (we were told 'animals on the lines') and all Southbound trains were in a queue there from 6.30am. No trains arrived in Newcastle until 10am.

My 8.35pm one arrived at 10.05. Even so, there was still a chance I could meet Chris and Shirley at Oxford  station in time for a drive across into Wiltshire.

BUT, things went from bad to worse.  As the train approached Birmingham New Street, we were  informed that the train would terminate there. That's when I had to abort my plans, and ring Shirley to tell her and Chris to go without me, as there was no way I could get another train to Oxford in time.

To say I am gutted at missing Rob's service is an understatement. The is nobody amongst my PCa friends I have known as long as I did Rob.

Man, it hurt.

However, I've heard from Chris and Shirley today. All went well, and Steve (NikonSteve) got along to the service too.

Never mind, I was there in spirit. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 17:35

George, the intention and effort were there.

It wasn't your fault that fate intervened and Steve and Chris and Shirley will have offered your apologies and explained on your behalf I'm sure.

I know you must be gutted but if he's looking down on you he will know how hard you tried to get there and show your respects and, as you say, you were there in spirit.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 21:06

Hi George,

I'm so sorry you didn't make it to the service yesterday.  I know how hard you tried to get there.  It must have been so frustrating.  If there was anyway I could have picked you up from Birmingham and got you there on time, I would have done but I think time was against us.

Sandra is right when she says that Rob would have known how much effort you put in to try to be there.  Chris & Shirley spoke with Michelle to explain the difficulties you had.  She fully understood the situation and knew that you would have been there if you could.

I hope you get compensation from the train company.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Sep 2015 at 14:28
So sorry to everyone who knew Rob x
User
Posted 26 Sep 2015 at 22:02
It was a terrible for me tonight when I logged into a chat which Rob was a regular participant , to be told he passed away was chatting to him 4 weeks ago when he did impart not so good news to us. But I never suspected his end was so close, I take some comfort from the knowledge that his passing was peaceful. He was in the same position virtually as myself but about 18 months behind me in diagnosis terms, he helped me many times with his knowledge of this dreadful disease, we chatted just between us at the end of our chats, I am eternally grateful that we had that relationship.

To say I will miss him is a total understatement, there are so many of us who relied on Rob in so many different ways, his legacy in the field of PCa will survive him for many years which at this moment is the best tribute I can pay to our dear friend and helper.

I will miss Rob but keep him in my memory, RIP brother and a million thanks for being so helpful to me and many others.

Larry

Edited by member 26 Sep 2015 at 22:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Sep 2015 at 12:57
George, you have had the misfortune of informing us on too many occasions the passing of members of this forum. It shocked me last night when I logged into the chat to be told Rob had passed away, I have been absent from the chat for three weeks which is very unusual for me. I did know Rob has serious issues but did not expect the news of his passing. It had been a rocky year for Rob with the progression of his PCa plus Michelle's health issues also, we supported Rob in the chat as best we could he appeared to accept his situation with his usual determination and vigour.

I hope you can accept that the efforts you made to arrive at Robs funeral although it ended in failure, was in no way your fault for some reason it was not to be. I appreciate you were and still are gutted but please do not blame yourself in any way. You made valiant efforts under extremely difficult circumstances both emotionally and logistically, so reflect on those aspects and feel rightly proud of your efforts.

Please do not reproach yourself in any way because you did not achieve your desired result. I pass on my sincere thanks that you always have the kindness and willingness to assist others when the need arises.

Larry

User
Posted 27 Sep 2015 at 16:19

Hi Larry,

Such heartfelt comments from you about Rob. We both know how much he did for so many over those long years.

What a great friend to have on your side.

Missing his funeral was just one of those things. I was mad as hell on the day though!

I was carrying an A4 envelope containing print-outs of all the touching tributes posted by his friends here and on other sites, and in the flood of emails sent to me by his friends further afield.

Next morning I posted them directly to Michelle and I hope she's received them by now. I know how much she wanted to read them.

Yes, you're right about me posting so many sad notices. They go back all the way to 2007 when I got the very first phone call from a bereaved wife. That call is forever in my memory.

I dread to think how many have passed away in the meantime.

On my own smallish website (B2PCa) we've now lost 41 friends since it began 9yrs ago.

Only about six weeks ago I was thinking we may get through the year without another loss after Mike Brooks's passing in January.

I knew the situation with Rob, but I felt sure we'd have him a while longer. Sadly, it wasn't to be.

One good thing we can treasure is the times we were lucky enough to spend with so many of these dear friends at The Mill in summer and The Euston Flyer in December.

It really is a consolation.

Rest In Peace Rob

George

User
Posted 02 Apr 2016 at 19:54

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, one of the greatest friends of this forum, Rob, passed away on 15th September last year.

Today I got the tragic news that his wife Michelle joined him on Tuesday 29th March.

They were both just 63rys old. Michelle's breast cancer had come back with a vengeance after Rob had gone.

I know many of you will have met them both, and will have such fond memories of the times we were all together at The Mill.

Rest In Peace Michelle

Back in the arms of your beloved Rob.

George, Lynn & Katrina

Edited by member 02 Apr 2016 at 20:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2016 at 21:35
George,

That's such sad news. RIP MIchelle, back with her loving husband.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2016 at 21:58
George

That is so very sad , may Rob and Michelle be together in peace

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 02 Apr 2016 at 22:54
Such terrible news, but thankyou for letting everyone know George . Hopefully they are together.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 03 Apr 2016 at 00:49

This is the fourth death I have heard of today and I feel overwhelmed.

Sleep peacefully Michelle

User
Posted 03 Apr 2016 at 10:36

Very sad news. They were a very nice couple.

Barry
User
Posted 03 Apr 2016 at 18:32
Together forever in life, in love in death together forever.
User
Posted 03 Apr 2016 at 21:22

Thank you for that George,

Like everyone else 

now they are as one

Barry

User
Posted 04 Apr 2016 at 07:05

So sad to hear this, both now at peace with each other. x

Fiona.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2016 at 17:19