I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

1st App. with Onco. after RT

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 11:40

Just had my 1st Appt. with the Onco. since having had RT.

My PSA reading is 1.7 (2.5 @ diagnosis)

He was very pleased, I was disappointed, expecting much lower, but advised very low readings are due to having Prostate removed.

Again understand that this reading can fluctuate up/down over the next 2 yrs due to PSA bounce and HT

Since my Green light lazer treatment for my Bladder have had no further problems in that respect.

Whilst having had the usual side effects from the RT which finished mid July I am felling great with all systems working as normal.

I am getting more and more into the None Dairy mode, and apart from loosing weight am again feeling great, so assume its doing some good ?

I get occasional flushes from the HT but not presenting a problem.

Onco. does not want to see me for 6 months.

I hope what I have and am going thro. will be of some help to others, as I have and still am getting so much help from this Forum, even tho. I do not contribute as perhaps I should.

Edited by member 23 Sep 2015 at 17:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 14:08

RT is not an instant destroyer of cancer cells so it will continue to work for sometime yet so don't be too disappointed with 1.7

Keep doing Well

Ray

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 16:21

Thanks Roy the Onco. said don't be disappointed at all ! so I'll go with that !!

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 21:36

The result might not seem fantastic to you Old1 but it is headed in the right direction eh ! Downwards.

As far as contributing to conversations, well there isn't anything to say that we all have to, some of us are wordier than others !!

It is good though that you feel you are still benefiting from being a member on here. That's the most important thing

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 21:51

Hi,

My PSA following RT was 1.6, almost a year later it's now down to 0.040 so don't be too disappointed. 

I was told RT continues to do it's job for up to a year after treatment so don't panic.  I have to admit, I felt exactly the same as you but very pleased with the treatment now.

Steve

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 11:43

Thanks guys thats helped a lot.

Can you point me in the right direction, must be my old age !!

Onco. said that LOW PSA is due to Prostate being removed, am I right in saying that WITH a Prostate the aim is to get these low readings ?

Not sure if he meant initial readings.

Is there an acceptable/living figure ?

Have been told that my G8, T4, readings will always be the same, but have read guys on here saying theirs have been re-accessed ?

I am clearly not in the cure camp !!

I do appreciate your help.

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 18:46

Hi old1,

You will continue to be a G8 unless you ever have another biopsy which finds it to have changed but it is unlikely you will ever need another biopsy. Your T4 will stay T4 because that is the highest and can't go down.

It might be that the onco was trying to explain that in your particular case - as your PSA was so low at diagnosis - your PSA is not a reliable test of what is happening inside your body. Someone with no prostate should be getting readings of 0.1 or less. Someone with a prostate might get figures that low if their hormone treatment is castrating them and the cancer is being starved correctly. So soon after RT your cancer cells are still being zapped so the reading at this time is no indication of how low it might yet go - John's onco said the RT continues to work for 18 months.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 10:36

Thanks Lyn Helpful as ever ! I'm learning something every day from here.

Just another, perhaps silly question.

I initially had numerous scans to enable the RT to be directed to the right area.

Since RT has finished I have had one PSA test ( after 3 months ) result 1.7

Because @ diagnosis my PSA was only 2.5 which I understand is unusual, if my PSA is or could be unreliable of what is happening to me, then why not have a Scan ?

Would this not show what is happening ?

I did mention to him that as I thought a lot can happen in 6 months, would it be feasible to have a PSA test in 3 months. He did not think that was necessary. 

I wish I had asked him why now.

Thanks again for all your help folks.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 16:39
Dear Old1

my OH had a psa of 3.6 at diagnosis.

His numbers were G7 N1 M0 T3b.

They use psa to monitor him 3 monthly and he has full scans every 2 years.

I must add that we choose to have the tests 3 monthly, as the standard tests are further apart and depending upon the Oncos recommendation.

He has been on Prostap for 3.5 years and had RT.

We do have to keep reminding the Onco that the PSA was so low upon diagnosis, as it is quite rare I think.

I realize that this does not answer your question, but thought it may help to hear from someone else with a low starting PSA. I don't think that they like to scan you too often as the bone scan involves the radioactive material into your blood, and of course, there are costs involved.

Best wishes

Alison

Edited by member 28 Sep 2015 at 16:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 17:28

Thanks Alison your reply is very helpful.

I have been seriously thinking of having a PSA test @ 3 months via. my GP

I see your OH numbers are similar to mine, with the same treatment.

Could I ask how the PSA readings have gone ?

Again many thanks

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 19:09
His dropped down to less than 0.1 but I can't remember exactly when it fell to this.

Yours may drop again as the RT keeps on working.

Best regards

Alison

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 19:12
I have just looked at your profile and my OH was treated at Velindre Cardiff too, so you may be both under the same team.

Alison

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 09:49

Check your Inbox, we exchanged details of our Consultants.

Thanks again

Kind Regards

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 16:02
Yes we did, I thought it was you, but did not check!

All the best

Alison