I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hope needed

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 19:32
My dad has this I've just found out, psa 245 and in bones. All I can think is the worst and I feel so sick I'm barely eating or sleeping. I just can't believe this has happened and am having a very hard time dealing with his diagnosis. He has a ct scan on Monday. I feel like I could cope if I just had a tiny bit of hope, I would cling to it. Please help. Of course, I googled diagnosis and wish I hadn't now. Please, only positive news. I really can't cope with any more sadness just now.
User
Posted 27 Sep 2015 at 01:42
Hi qwerty, I am 50 diagnosed a year ago, PSA 342, gleeson 9 T4m1N1a had chemo and RT , scan 2 weeks ago says no sign of cancer anywhere in my body, yes it's still lurking but for now I can live 100% of my life to the full, please don't dispair. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 22:46

Hi Qwerty,

No problem if it is hope that you need then there are heaps of stories on here that will give you hope, read all of the stories on here and then click on peoples avatars and it will bring up there individual Bios .

Start eating and sleeping that is the best way to help your Dad many men live for years with spread to bones we are still here 2 and half years on. I know it is very scary in the beginning but I promise that you will feel better.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 22:55

Hi Quertythesecond,

Welcome to this forum though sorry it is because your dad has PCa. Some men live for years with this disease but this can depend on a number of factors, not least on how well he responds to treatment which can prove difficult to predict even for consultants. He has yet to have a scan so his situation is still being investigated and some treatment will be offered if not already prescribed.

I would suggest you do not Google PCa. There is a danger of generalization which may not apply to a specific case.

Forum members will provide support and it would be helpful if you provide as much information as possible.

Barry
User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 08:38

Welcome to the forum though sorry in such difficult circumstances. Like Barry says, this is such an individual diisease it is very hard to generalise. Totally normal to feel how you do, none of us have a blueprint for coping with news like this.

One of our prostate cancer support group members was diagnosed with spread to bones a decade ago and he is still going strong so please do not despair. You will get lots of help and support here and from men and families who have been through and are going through PCa and all it's implications so do keep posting,

All the best, Fiona.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 09:01

Hello qwerty and welcome
That initial diagnosis produces shock and disbelief to all of us and everyone on here has experienced it, including some in your situation regarding their dad.

Keep yourself fit by at least eating properly. Sleeping is another matter as you can't control that without pills.

Your dad is going to need all the help you can give him, especially emotional support.

There will be other members along at some stage who are in the same situation as your dad and can give you a better insight into it than me.

In the meantime, wait for Monday's scan and the consultant's recommendations before you panic.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 19:56
Hi querty

How about this, hubby diagnosed spread to lymph and bones aged 61 Gleason 10 - 5 years ago. Still not had to have chemo or any of the new drugs. I was in a well of despair but you have to live your life, if we had given in to the despair we would have wasted this last 5 years and that would be a tragedy.

Hope you feel better soon, and welcome to the forum.

Lots of love

Allison

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 22:46

Hi Qwerty,

No problem if it is hope that you need then there are heaps of stories on here that will give you hope, read all of the stories on here and then click on peoples avatars and it will bring up there individual Bios .

Start eating and sleeping that is the best way to help your Dad many men live for years with spread to bones we are still here 2 and half years on. I know it is very scary in the beginning but I promise that you will feel better.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 22:55

Hi Quertythesecond,

Welcome to this forum though sorry it is because your dad has PCa. Some men live for years with this disease but this can depend on a number of factors, not least on how well he responds to treatment which can prove difficult to predict even for consultants. He has yet to have a scan so his situation is still being investigated and some treatment will be offered if not already prescribed.

I would suggest you do not Google PCa. There is a danger of generalization which may not apply to a specific case.

Forum members will provide support and it would be helpful if you provide as much information as possible.

Barry
User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 08:38

Welcome to the forum though sorry in such difficult circumstances. Like Barry says, this is such an individual diisease it is very hard to generalise. Totally normal to feel how you do, none of us have a blueprint for coping with news like this.

One of our prostate cancer support group members was diagnosed with spread to bones a decade ago and he is still going strong so please do not despair. You will get lots of help and support here and from men and families who have been through and are going through PCa and all it's implications so do keep posting,

All the best, Fiona.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 09:01

Hello qwerty and welcome
That initial diagnosis produces shock and disbelief to all of us and everyone on here has experienced it, including some in your situation regarding their dad.

Keep yourself fit by at least eating properly. Sleeping is another matter as you can't control that without pills.

Your dad is going to need all the help you can give him, especially emotional support.

There will be other members along at some stage who are in the same situation as your dad and can give you a better insight into it than me.

In the meantime, wait for Monday's scan and the consultant's recommendations before you panic.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 19:56
Hi querty

How about this, hubby diagnosed spread to lymph and bones aged 61 Gleason 10 - 5 years ago. Still not had to have chemo or any of the new drugs. I was in a well of despair but you have to live your life, if we had given in to the despair we would have wasted this last 5 years and that would be a tragedy.

Hope you feel better soon, and welcome to the forum.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 27 Sep 2015 at 01:42
Hi qwerty, I am 50 diagnosed a year ago, PSA 342, gleeson 9 T4m1N1a had chemo and RT , scan 2 weeks ago says no sign of cancer anywhere in my body, yes it's still lurking but for now I can live 100% of my life to the full, please don't dispair. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019