Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Your thoughts? Scheduled online chat sessions joined by experts

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 12:48

Hi all,

We're looking into hosting some organised, real-time discussions among community members and other experts like healthcare professionals or researchers.

They might last an hour or more, take place on a conversation thread here in the online community, and be focused around a particular topic, like one kind of test or treatment, dealing with a specific side effect, or emotional and relationship issues. Other discussions may be more general but focused on particular groups of people affected by prostate cancer who may have something in common, such as men in their 40's.

What are your thoughts about this?

We'd especially like to know if it's something you'd want to participate in, what times and days of the week would be best for you, what topics you'd want to cover, and if there are particular experts you'd like to join in the conversations.

Best,
Sadie

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 14:48

Hi Sadie I would be more than willing to give this a try . Personally any early afternoon or early evening . I would participate in anything that I could help with .
Chris

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 14:59

Me too any time, sounds a good idea.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 15:04

Sounds like a great idea, early evenings are best for me....

Duncan

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 15:19

Be worth trying. Availability depends on the dates but guess early evening might be good for most.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 15:25

Potentially could be very informative. Early evenings best.

Flexi

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 15:54

My iPhone and iPad always offer a " Chat " tag which can be pressed to join a group chat or chat to an individual member , but I never see anything on my laptop which is windows ? Just interested

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 16:25

Sadie,

2nd attempt.

Interesting .., but can we have an update on what happened at the "event" in February 2015 please?

Alan

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 20:06

Sounds interesting and early evenings would be better

Bri

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 20:42

Hi,

I am 66 but early evening would be ok

Barry

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 06:54

Add my name to the list please. Like the Martini advert, any time, any place, anywhere works for me.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 13:44

More than happy to get involved! More or less anytime works with me!

Pablo

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 15:52

Thanks everyone for this feedback -- if anyone else has thoughts or ideas please share them!

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Interesting .., but can we have an update on what happened at the "event" in February 2015 please?

Hi Art, I posted an update on that in August: http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10207-Participate-in-user-testing-to-help-improve-the-community-platform#post133707

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 20:54

Hi Sadie

I saw your above posting at the time and although you said “It was very helpful and we learned a lot about where users get stuck, we found some bugs that we fixed, and some of the learnings have resulted in small tweaks to the community platform as we've gone along. There's a lot we learned that hasn't been implemented yet,”

It would have been useful to know what was fixed and what has been left for another time. For example, I only found out by chance recently that I can now cut and paste to start a new thread.

Alan

User
Posted 13 Oct 2015 at 11:29

Hi Alan,

Another thing we changed was to amend the navigation to make it easier for logged out users to find the link to Join the community or Sign in, which when logged in turns into that big green My Conversations button so you can quickly get to the conversations you're participating in. And we made it so the big topic areas - 'Diagnosis', 'Treatment' etc, open up and show their subtopics when you click on them, instead of going to a page showing all the conversations in the subtopics, which was really confusing. And we intend to make it so people starting a new conversation can't accidentally select a read-only subtopic.

On our list for considered improvements are:

- Getting the main site navigation out of the way so the community nav is more prominent

- Simplify search

- Improve the wording used around searching and password changes

- Replace infinite scroll with simple pagination

- Make it easier to see who's online

- Make it easier to start a new conversation from more places around the site

- Some bugs on iPad

User
Posted 13 Oct 2015 at 14:07
Hi Sadie

Is it possible to add the amount of views a particular post has received, as especially for newbies it would show them we are reading their posts.

Thank you

Roy

User
Posted 13 Oct 2015 at 20:17

Sadie

Thanks for your reply above. I have assumed that your “list for considered improvements” are those changes identified at the last event which will be introduced at a future date.

I would like to pick up on Roy’s point, which was also mentioned by Lyn in an earlier posting on a different thread. The point is that it would be very helpful if the numbers who have viewed each post could be shown.

In August I set up a new thread about travel insurance, see the link below.

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10970-Travel-Insurance-and-the-European-Health-Insurance-Card#post133777

After 5 days there were 2 replies on the thread and 6 “thanks”. I spoke to Steve in your office to find out how many people had read the thread. In the 5 days there had been 1,554 viewings by non registered readers and 32 by registered members.

I know you already show the number of replies to each thread in your system so could you arrange to show viewing figures to be shown for each post as well? 

This confirmed what I have thought for some time that since the Message Board was opened up to non members the interest from registered members is very small compared with the interest from non members. It is worth mentioning the warning given at that time that because non members will have sight of postings, but not the personal details in profiles, we need to be a bit discreet with the personal information, experiences and whatever shown in postings. Just a thought.

Alan

Edited by member 13 Oct 2015 at 20:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Oct 2015 at 21:24

Hi Sadie,

I couldn't agree more with Roy and Alan about showing 'Times Viewed' beside each listed topic.

Yes, we can see how many replies there have been, but it would really help us if we knew how many have actually viewed the subject.

Anyone of us could spend ages putting together what we thought was an interesting new topic, filled with what we considered to be well researched information, yet never know if anybody out there was even interested.

Seeing viewing figures would help us to re-examine our posts accordingly and might lead us to improve subject matter and quality.

So, from me, a definite 'Yes Please!'.

George

User
Posted 14 Oct 2015 at 00:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

In the 5 days there had been 1,554 viewings by non registered readers and 32 by registered members.

It is worth mentioning the warning given at that time that because non members will have sight of postings, but not the personal details in profiles, we need to be a bit discreet with the personal information, experiences and whatever shown in postings. Just a thought.

Hurray! Someone else raises the issue - thanks Art. Some of us are far too casual about personal details - real names, grumbles about employers, where we live - certainly enough information to be recognised by a casual googler (or worse, the boss or a partner / ex!) 

I shall stick to referring to people by their log-in name when I reapond to things just in case. Doesn't matter to me if my real name is used as I don't have an employer and John isn't bothered what I share with you all! 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 12:22

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll check with our developers to see if this is something that is relatively straightforward to implement on each conversation page.

Best,
Sadie

User
Posted 14 Dec 2015 at 14:31

Thanks to everyone who posted thoughts on online real-time discussions. We are hoping to trial this in the first  quarter of 2016 so will keep you informed on progress. 

Ann Innes (Support Group Development Manager)