I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sky News this evening

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 19:52
An article on the news this evening stated that Birmingham NHS trust are offering early Chemo for men with advanced P Ca, when other trusts are not.

I understand that men from other parts aof the country are going there to access this treatment. They are being referred there by their own trusts and Birmingham wants to treat them.

Apparently early treatment is licensed in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, but half of trusts in England are reluctant to give it as they think that they will not be paid for an unlicensed treatment.

There is a view that guidelines should be reviewed.

The hospital mentioned was Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham who lead the trial to determine that early chemo have up to 2 years extra survival rates to men in an advanced situation.

the report was on Sky news on my iPad.

I hope this may help someone.

Alison

Edited by member 05 Oct 2015 at 07:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 22:53

Thank you for posting Allison.

Chris.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 08:56

It was on bbc Midlands news as well Alison, it could be good for those in that situation. I wonder if they will be snowed under now with patients from all over Britain? I bet there will only be a certain number of referrals allowed.

Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 09:41
Hi Chris

I feel sorry for those who are not as informed as ourselves, are perhaps older or alone and do not have access to sites like this. They just take the advice given by their doctors and do not know about such research findings, so go along with the treatment offered, knowing no different.

Let's hope that this treatment gets licensed across all trusts so men are getting the best, wherever they are and however well informed ( or not) they are.

Alison

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 21:31

I didn't catch the broadcast but a cancer carer I know sent me this link which discusses early chemo and is interesting. http://ecancer.org/video/4021/tailoring-treatment-strategies-in-prostate-cancer--the-latest-expert-insight.php

Barry