I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Overactive bladder

User
Posted 09 Oct 2015 at 11:23

Hi, after 20 months since my radical prostatectomy I leak occasionally during the day but only rarely and very little. I wear a pad only if I suspect my day will be testing e.g. recently attending a rugby match. But I leak almost every night! Not much but I have to wear a pad. After many consultations, tests etc my consultant thinks that the operation may have caused my bladder to be overactive. I am awaiting my next appointment after urodynamics tests and am taking duloxetine to see if it has any impact, and of course still doing pelvic floor exercises.

Possible next steps seem to be botox injections, a male sling or artificial sphincter. Has anyone any experience of these options?

User
Posted 09 Oct 2015 at 13:46

I hesitate to diagnose, not being any sort of medical expert, but it sounds to me that your sphincter is in pretty good condition from your description of daytime dryness. If there is any weakness, gravity will often show it up. In that case, botox, artificial sphincters and slings are unlikely to be the answer because all three are aimed primarily at sphincter deficiencies. However, I thought my sphincter was in moderately good condition (hence the initial sling implant rather than an AUS), but the real issue was that I had a stricture that was restricting the flow and behaving as a sphincter supplement, if you follow me. Having had the stricture repaired, my daytime leakage is back to pretty grim.

Unlike your state, ever since the operation, I have been dry at night, so being the other way round sounds a little strange. Have you tried adjusting the time you have your last drink in the evening before going to bed?

If needed (see my profile) I can relate experiences of a sling, and by Christmas, I should be able to do the same for an AUS.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 16 Oct 2015 at 09:43

Thanks, I shall see what the consultant says after the tests and my next consultation.

Sounds like you have been through a lot already - hope the next stage brings a major improvement.