I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA again

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 20:50

I had a radical prostectomy in 2010, PSA started to rise again 2013 I had salvage radiotherapy at 0.4, now in June 2015 it was 0.2, in September it has trebled to 0.6 I have been told by my oncologist there is nothing to do till it reaches around a reading of 10 is this just NHS policy would going private get something done sooner has anyone any of experience of this

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 21:07
Ian. You and I share the same boat. See my profile. As soon as salvage failed, they put me on Casodex. When that failed, they put me on hormones. Ive been on them nearly two years and they are failing too. My radical prostatectomy was, like yours, in 2010. I would ask what trials are available and take views from the professionals on the options open to you of which there are many.

Good luck brother.

Bazza

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 21:36

Ian, I suppose the problem is that for most ordinary folk, once both radical treatments have failed there are no other curative treatments to try and so the only option is to go to treatments that will contain or slow progress (ie hormones). As these would then be needed for the rest of your life (either continously or intermittently) there are many oncologists who believe you should delay starting them for as long as possible. A PSA of 10 seems to be the accepted point that should not be passed although a couple of men on here have been told their oncos will not intervene until they get to 20.

If you went private you would undoubtedly find someone who is willing to prescribe hormones for you now, but this may not be in your best interest if the sooner you start them the sooner you would become hormone-resistant and run out of treatments.

As Bazza says, it may be much better for you to ask what trials are available to you either at your hospital or another one, and whether there is any possibility of you being referred to another onco who may be willing to give you some new more detailed scans and / or look at treatments other than HT

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard