I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Next stage sooner than expected

User
Posted 12 Oct 2015 at 20:27
Right, so it's just over a year since Tony was diagnosed with advanced Pca and spread to the bones. PSA was over 2000, but reduced to single figures after a few months on Decapaptyl. He opted for an early course of chemo (Docetaxel) in the hope of slowing the progession of the cancer.

And now, only 7 months after finishing chemo, his PSA has risen sharply, from 4.9 to over 18 in 3 months. ALPs also on the rise, other bloods all OK. Testosterone still low.

He feels absolutely fine in himself, so this is an awful shock to us both. We expected to have longer than this before the hormones stopped being effective. We saw the oncologist today, and T is getting booked in for a repeat PSA test, bone scan and CT scan.

The likely next step after all the scans is Enzalutamide. Further chemo (docetaxel again, or cabazitaxel) would also be an option, but the first lot doesn't seem to have done much good, so he is not inclined to choose this. We don't know whether or for how long the Enza might work. Once it fails, it's either the end of treatment or possibly a clinical trial of some new treatment.

I don't know if anyone out there can offer any reassurance or information about what lies ahead. We really thought we'd have a few more good years together, and now this seems unlikely.

Marje

Edited by member 12 Oct 2015 at 21:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Oct 2015 at 22:59

Dear Marje
I'm so sorry to hear about your Tony's rise in psa, it must be so worrying.
I was diagnosed with a psa of 235 in Dec 2014 and have been on HT and enzalutamide since then (on Stampede Trial).
My psa has fallen significantly and up to last oncologist appointment was still very low. I've just a few side effects. My next appt is 2nd Nov.
I really hope that the enzalutamide works ok for your Tony as it has so far for me.

Paul

User
Posted 12 Oct 2015 at 23:10

It is difficult to offer precise advice as each PCa responds differently. My diagnosis puts me in a similar path but I did not have the benefit of early chemo, still in the toolbox. What I do know is that it is the trends associated with PSA which is crucial so a single rise might not in itself indicate a problem but clearly when a pattern of this emerges this has more diagnostic power. Enzo hopefully will work for you and thus could give you some respite. Be important to see if there are negatives from the bone and CT scan as well or whether that gives you a more positive picture. Sadly there are no guarantees but take heart from those of us still here (in my case nearly four years) as there remains options for you. Keep talking to us at this difficult time.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2015 at 08:26

Thank you both for your sympathetic replies. It means a lot to talk with people who understand what we're going through. I will update here with any further news.
Marje

User
Posted 14 Oct 2015 at 11:28
Hi Marje,

I just wanted to know that I'm thinking of you both and pray that any future treatment works well for Tony.

Steve x

User
Posted 14 Oct 2015 at 11:53

Hello Marje
I'm sorry that there has been a "hiccup" in Tony's treatment

Here's hoping that it is just a blip and can be sorted out with any of the other tricks in the consultant's box.

Fingers crossed for you both

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Oct 2015 at 20:50
Hi marge,

I empathise deeply with you, when psa rises and it's time to change treatment direction, but you don't know what the direction is going to be.Your mind goes on overdrive!!

I know it's easier said than done but try not to focus on the negatIves. Try to focus on the positive options - cabazitaxel and enzalutamide could be very effective treatments.

We are a little bit in limbo ourselves with strong possibility of doxetaxil chemo being next on the agenda.Our diversional therapy involves walks to park, many coffee stops and googling possible holiday options.

Don't give up hope. Take care.

Lesley xx

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 18:04

They did another PSA test just to confirm the rise before commencing scans. It had jumped again, from 19 to over 30 in a week. This is not what we wanted to hear. We are worried and anxious.

So this week it is CT scan and bone scans, then another PSA test prior to the next oncologist appointment on 2 November. In between all that, we are off to visit family and friends for a few days. We are bracing ourselves for the next consultation (with an oncologist we haven't met before), and hoping for some more realistic prognosis than the very vague ( and very optimistic) ones we've had so far. We think we would find it less difficult to cope if they were honest than if they just keep saying, "We have really no idea what's ahead, you could go on for years and years." That's becoming less credible now.

We have booked a holiday to Thailand in the new year, but three weeks at the other side of the world seems perhaps a tad ambitious now. We'll see what happens at the consultation and what the new treatment will entail. For now, Tony still seems very fit and well - it's hard to believe he has very aggressive cancer (his initial PSA was over 2000).

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 18:29

Hi Marge,

I just wanted to say I can really identify with your situation as we are on a similar path with Ts psa rising week on week . It's never what we want to hear is it. Keep your chin up .

BFN

Julie

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 20:04

Piglet, did they test his testosterone? Is he still at or below castrate level (0.69)?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 22:43

Yes, at Tony's request they tested the testosterone and it was still very low. He had even been wondering (because of a feeling he had about it at the time) whether his July injection had been given properly, but the T level suggests that it had. Have you any thoughts about this, Lyn?

Marje

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 23:38

Not really a formed thought Piglet. But the two situations are quite different in their implications which was why I asked:-
a) PSA rising, but still at castrate level suggests that the cancer has learned how to survive without testosterone
b) PSA rising and T above castrate means the HT isn't working effectively

Some oncos would reintroduce casodex at this point to disguise whatever testosterone is still floating about - or would try another hormone. If the cancer has learned to feed without T, then it might be better to knock it back with other treatments like enzo, abiraterone, chemo. Look at how well Devonmaid's OH has done on stilboestrol which is considered quite old hat now by many oncos. I know you are reluctant about chemo but some people find the second bout provides more respite than the first - at the moment you don't know how weakened the cancer cells are and another onslaught might kick their butts.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Oct 2015 at 10:25

Thanks for the thoughts, Lyn. I think we are probably looking at option a): the cancer has progressed to manage without testosterone. Enzalutamide sounds like the best option for the moment, subject to whatever the onco has to say.
Marje

User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 15:33

Right, so Tony had his hospital appointment today and we are a bit clearer about what lies ahead. PSA had shot up to over 80 by a week ago (from under 5 in July), so it's obvious the cancer is ignoring the hormones and galloping away. ALPS is also high, and T has begun to have pain again, in one hip. The oncologist agreed that all this needs urgent attention.

The plan is to start on Enzalutamide within a week, and if this appears to be working, to add in Radium 223 in a few weeks. It comes off the Cancer Drugs Fund list in 2 days, he says (4 Nov, does this make sense?) but if he applies today it should be OK. Zometa will probably be added to the mix later on.

If T's cancer fails to respond to the Magic Beans, it looks as if cabazitaxel is the next (last?) resort, and may well be a later option in any case.

The outlook is pretty bleak, and the time scale much shorter than we had been led to hope. But we feel a little better now that the battle plan has been drawn up.

Marje

User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 18:02

Hello Marje,
Sorry the news wasn't better.

Fingers crossed the treatment regime does the trick.
All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 19:40
Marge

It sounds like your Onco is on the ball and doing everything he can to get things back under control.

I hope so

Best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 03 Nov 2015 at 11:19
Wishing you both the best outcomes and treatments available to you, you both deserve more untroubled time.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019