I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Everyday worries....

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 08:23
We were talking about how cancer suddenly hit us yesterday, which made me wonder if our sons (39-41) should have regular PSA blood tests?

I know they can be tested from the age of 50, but with my husbands prostate cancer and my breast cancer, just feeling concerned for them.

My mums sister had breast cancer, and my dads two brothers had prostate cancer, all who sadly died of their cancers.

Sandra

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 10:04
Hi Sandra

Although it is extremely rare for men so young to have PCa it's not unheard of. I had my son tested at 32 which was ok, but the main reason from my point of view was it gave him a baseline figure to refer to in the future. If the GP tries to talk your sons out of it and you feel this is what your sons want, insist, just warn them not to be sexually active, ride a bike etc prior to the test.

Roy

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 11:06

Sandra I would advise them to have the PSA.

My son is 43 and was given one on request.

It may also have been to do with his sister's rectal cancer and the discovery of his pre-cancerous polyps in almost the same place that swayed the GP.

Better safe than sorry

Edited by member 15 Oct 2015 at 11:07  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 13:41

I would advise them to get it done too.  I subsequently found out that my PSA was on the rise at 45 (2.5) but was ignored because it hadn't crossed the "4" threshold. It was only the result of a routine PSA test at the age of 50 that a flag was automatically triggered and the GP referred me.

Ok the outcome may have been the same but it wquld have been nice to keep an eye on it earlier.

Flexi

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 10:04
Hi Sandra

Although it is extremely rare for men so young to have PCa it's not unheard of. I had my son tested at 32 which was ok, but the main reason from my point of view was it gave him a baseline figure to refer to in the future. If the GP tries to talk your sons out of it and you feel this is what your sons want, insist, just warn them not to be sexually active, ride a bike etc prior to the test.

Roy

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 11:06

Sandra I would advise them to have the PSA.

My son is 43 and was given one on request.

It may also have been to do with his sister's rectal cancer and the discovery of his pre-cancerous polyps in almost the same place that swayed the GP.

Better safe than sorry

Edited by member 15 Oct 2015 at 11:07  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 11:07

Thank you Roy, I was just concerned as breast cancer and prostate cancer have been linked, wondered if it would make our sons more vulnerable!
I will get them to speak to their doctors.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 11:11

Thank you Johsan, really hope they are both doing well! And yes, better to be safe than sorry.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 13:41

I would advise them to get it done too.  I subsequently found out that my PSA was on the rise at 45 (2.5) but was ignored because it hadn't crossed the "4" threshold. It was only the result of a routine PSA test at the age of 50 that a flag was automatically triggered and the GP referred me.

Ok the outcome may have been the same but it wquld have been nice to keep an eye on it earlier.

Flexi

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 20:52

Thank you flexi,
I wonder if they will bring the age down, they have brought the age down to 47 from 50 for mammograms.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2015 at 22:50

Hi Sandra,
Because John was diagnosed at 50 we were advised that our son should be tested from the age of 40. I asked the GP to record that on his notes in case a future doctor tries to put him off.

The mammogram testing at 47 is as far as I understand a pilot programme being rolled out only in some areas. There is also a debate going on nationally about whether to end the screening programme :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard