I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Scary Times

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 17:12

My husband, Den, was diagnosed in september. The letter we received from urologist states that he has Adenocarcinoma of prostate. T3/T4 feeling Prostate with a size of 26.2 and PSA of 54. 6 biopsy samples were taken and all 6 were affected. Gleason Score 3 + 4 = 7. CT scan and Bone scan negative. His treatment is monthly hormone injections and radiotherapy in the new year. 

We have 1st appointment with Oncologist nov 16th. Not sure what  the 'T3 / T4 feeling prostate' means ?  He also has a history of alcohol abuse and is awaiting a liver biopsy. He retired at 60 because of atrial fib and has had 3 x cardioversions and 2 heart ablation procedures and is now 69. I am only 53 and still need to work full time. Not sure if I will need to take time off to attend radiotherapy with him, he insists he will be fine on his own. I have been to all appointments so far. 

I am obviously worried about the cancer, but am more worried that he wont stop drinking.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 18:05

Hi and welcome

T3 or T4 basically means the cancer has spread out of the prostate gland. The better news is with clear scans the intent to cure treatment is being given via Hormone Therapy and later Radio Therapy.

Having cancer and or hormone therapy can bring on some level of depression so some action might be needed to ensure the drinking issue doesn't increase.

Download the free fact sheet from this site for further info.

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 20 Oct 2015 at 18:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 18:09

Hello Smudger and welcome to the site.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here and we are a very supportive group.

There is a "Toolkit" on the site that has lots of details covering PCa, treatments, dealing with emotions etc. It's obtainable through publications on the home page.

We are caring and supportive. Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.

Best Wishes to you and Denzil

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 18:49
Hello

I'm on hormone therapy and have had radiotherapy - click on my name or any others to see their profiles which will hopefully help and encourage you

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 19:48
Dear smudger feel for you,my husband is a normally fit 71 year old I am 61,he was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago and has been on active surveillance. Psa over last year has been rising and few weeks ago had biopsy under general anesthesia which showed an increase in his cancer grade and amount,so now deciding between operation or radiotherapy. Very difficult! Sorry your husband has few problems,concerning times indeed,but I have already found help from others on this site and hope you do as well. Best wishes to you both.
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 19:52
Hi

My husband is on hormones and has recently completed his radiotherapy treatment, as Arthur says if you click on the avatar you can see his "history".

Although I went to my husband's radiotherapy sessions with him he would have been fine on his own, I only went with him as my office is a ten minute walk from the hospital.

All the best

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 19:56

Hi Debbie,

I have had the old fashioned, or should I say 'classic' form of external beam radiotherapy, the sort where you have to go to hospital for a blast every day for 4 weeks.  I have also had the more modern HDR Brachytherapy, where they stick the radioactive rods into the tumour and cook it from the inside, a 3 day stay in hospital. 

I managed to get myself to hospital and back all on my own without any need of assistance, although I did learn where the toilet stops were.

So don't worry about having to take time off work to accompany your chap, I am sure he would love you to go along if you can, but equally I am sure he will manage if you are not able to take that much time off.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 23:23

John went for his radiotherapy each morning on his way to work - it usually only took 15 mins. I attended once a week with him just for the review with the oncologist but I don't think many men see their onco every week during the treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 18:05

Hi and welcome

T3 or T4 basically means the cancer has spread out of the prostate gland. The better news is with clear scans the intent to cure treatment is being given via Hormone Therapy and later Radio Therapy.

Having cancer and or hormone therapy can bring on some level of depression so some action might be needed to ensure the drinking issue doesn't increase.

Download the free fact sheet from this site for further info.

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 20 Oct 2015 at 18:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 18:09

Hello Smudger and welcome to the site.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here and we are a very supportive group.

There is a "Toolkit" on the site that has lots of details covering PCa, treatments, dealing with emotions etc. It's obtainable through publications on the home page.

We are caring and supportive. Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.

Best Wishes to you and Denzil

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 18:49
Hello

I'm on hormone therapy and have had radiotherapy - click on my name or any others to see their profiles which will hopefully help and encourage you

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 19:48
Dear smudger feel for you,my husband is a normally fit 71 year old I am 61,he was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago and has been on active surveillance. Psa over last year has been rising and few weeks ago had biopsy under general anesthesia which showed an increase in his cancer grade and amount,so now deciding between operation or radiotherapy. Very difficult! Sorry your husband has few problems,concerning times indeed,but I have already found help from others on this site and hope you do as well. Best wishes to you both.
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 19:52
Hi

My husband is on hormones and has recently completed his radiotherapy treatment, as Arthur says if you click on the avatar you can see his "history".

Although I went to my husband's radiotherapy sessions with him he would have been fine on his own, I only went with him as my office is a ten minute walk from the hospital.

All the best

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 19:56

Hi Debbie,

I have had the old fashioned, or should I say 'classic' form of external beam radiotherapy, the sort where you have to go to hospital for a blast every day for 4 weeks.  I have also had the more modern HDR Brachytherapy, where they stick the radioactive rods into the tumour and cook it from the inside, a 3 day stay in hospital. 

I managed to get myself to hospital and back all on my own without any need of assistance, although I did learn where the toilet stops were.

So don't worry about having to take time off work to accompany your chap, I am sure he would love you to go along if you can, but equally I am sure he will manage if you are not able to take that much time off.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 23:23

John went for his radiotherapy each morning on his way to work - it usually only took 15 mins. I attended once a week with him just for the review with the oncologist but I don't think many men see their onco every week during the treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard