I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Active Surveillance ???

User
Posted 20 Oct 2015 at 23:31
I had my biopsy in June and was given the diagnosis in July.Localised prostrate cancer.

The doctor who have me the news said I was a good candidate for active surveillance,so I was "steered" in that direction. At the time I was happy to accept an option that didn't involve surgery.

Now I have had time to think is AS really a way of not not spending NHS funds.

Does AS really mean "send him home" and deal with it later.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 01:38

Absolutely not - although 'watchful waiting' could be described as 'send him home and deal with it later' active surveillance (if done properly) is a good option for a small number of men who are fortunate to be suitable.

I have copied here the link to your previous thread where I explained how AS should be done:-

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=posts&m=134692#post134692 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Oct 2015 at 21:05
Hi like you my husband was found to have gleason 6 cancer,psa 6.6 at diagnosis at the end of 2012 and he was delighted to be told he could have active surveillance. All was stable for 2 years,then this year the psa rose twice and is now 13.5. He had an Mir which was reassuring,but the consultant did a trans perineal biopsy a few weeks ago which has shown an increase in the areas of cancer and a rise in one core to a Gleason 7,so now he is to have another bone scan before deciding on treatment.He was 68 when diagnosed and we are both glad we had those 2 years treatment free,avoiding side effects. I must admit when we were told there was a higher grade there now I did wonder if we should have opted for treatment earlier. I have heard many men have many more years with no treatment or some never need it,then you have avoided side effects which can be quite significant. Only down now I feel is my husband is now 71,quite fit,but facing operation or radiotherapy,he has been told he is on the cusp for the operation,so would have missed out on that choice if as had gone on longer in his case.from what I know it sounds like you made a good choice,they will monitor you regularly as they did my husband. All the best.
User
Posted 15 Nov 2015 at 20:32

Things are moving ahead. I was given my diagnosis in July.
My PSA then was 9.4. Tested last week for the first time since then now 9.7.
Today (yes Sunday) had my MRI scan.
Now have to wait till 27th November when my uro-oncology nurse is phoning me to discuss the results and what will happen going forward.
Active surveillance at work.