I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

when do we see an oncologist

User
Posted 22 Oct 2015 at 22:16
Hi just wondering,lots of people talk of seeing the oncologist. After nearly 3 years since diagnosis.on active surveillance most of time,but now needing to decide on treatment we have seen 2 urologists at different hospitals.and oncology nurses but no one has said we need to see an oncologist,are we missing something here?
User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 05:10

don't think you are missing anything, I think it will depend on your treatment choice as urologist will be involved in operation, but I may be wrong their will be others on here who have been down the same route as yourself, you have plenty of options to go for when you do decide post on here and I am sure others with offer their views

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 09:36

Hi Sofiejoan,

I think Bladerunner is right, it's going to depend on the treatment options. For surgical options then it will be the urologist. For radiotherapy (brachytherapy, external beam) it will likely be a radio-oncologist. For hormone treatment (which could be added to the radiotherapy treatment), an oncologist.  Having said this, I'm sure if you wanted to speak to an oncologist, an appointment could be made.

Flexi

User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 18:29

Hi when I had to decide the urologist made a appointment for me to see the oncologist so I had all the information before deciding which way to go .
Andy

User
Posted 24 Oct 2015 at 12:13

In my case, my urologist whom I originally saw and who performed my RP is also an oncologist according to his job titles. Might be worth checking if it's the same with you.  The first time I actually saw an oncologist as such, was  a couple of years later when I was sent for salvage radiotherapy.

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 24 Oct 2015 at 20:45

Hello Sofiejoan
I was dx in January this year.
Original appt was with a urologist who reviewed the ct, Mir results and gave me 2 options
First option was HT
Second was to go on Stampede trial.
I chose second and was transferred to an oncologist

Paul

User
Posted 24 Oct 2015 at 20:57

Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies, seems as you say when we ready to make the decision.