I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

should bro have chemo or radio first?

User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 14:06

My 54 year old brother with locally advanced Pca was started on HT back in May which has brought his PSA right down from 150 to 0.7. No mets visible at the moment but he may well have micromets. He's now being offered both radiotherapy and chemotherapy (Docetaxel), the latter as a result of the recent research into early chemo for men with advanced Pca.  His oncologist didn't seem to know at his last appointment whether he should have the chemo or the radio first and we're going back next week to see what she's decided (she said she was going to do some research).  Can anyone comment on this? 

User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 22:50
Hi, I am 50 diagnosed with advanced PC a year ago. I had chemo first then RT. Side effects were all tolerable. This was before announcement re early chemo but my onco at the Marsden had I believe an early heads up. Hope that helps and hope all works out well.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 22:55

Thanks Kev, that's very helpful. Glad you're doing so well.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2015 at 23:59

I'm gobsmacked that the onco has offered early chemo without any evidence of mets - I do hope that you don't go along to the next appointment only to hear he doesn't meet the criteria after all.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2015 at 05:29

I have just started docetaxel chemo had my 2nd lot this week, for me it would be a no brainer chemo first, but then again I have 3 mets in hips and pelvis, side effects are at mo just a bit more tired.

the trial results have been the biggest reason why I pushed to get the chemo early

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 24 Oct 2015 at 09:25

Yes Lyn, we were surprised too but the oncologist seems pretty sure he has spread, it's just too tiny to show up yet.  Bladerunner, from yours and Kev's replies, it would seem chemo first. You seem to be making good progress and all the best to you.