Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

too work or not to work that is the question

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 13:38

ok

so I am still working even whilst on the chemo, problems are it is making me fatigued and sleepless nights, am also doing my bit of running which is not easy but good for my mind and body

been for chat with McMillan today their advice is one or the other as I am running my energy levels down to much

if I don't work still get paid for 6months, but stuck in the house all day will drive me nuts

so option as I see it is to try a few weeks off, do a run in the morning when I am better energy wise and see how this affects the rest of my day

or carry on working and cut my running down even more

need to do something in my day

as yet work have not come forward on their offer of cutting back my hours have a meeting with my boss tomorrow looks like I will be quoting the DPPP to him

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 15:03
Hello Nisge

I am not sure what type of work that you do,but if I were your employer I would rather you be there a few hours a day than not at all, so it would seem reduced hours may be an option? Could you do flexible time ( say working 4 hours out of every 8 hour working day) so that you can have a lie in when needed, or an afternoon nap on other days. You could offer to take these half days as holidays for a few weeks and see how it goes?

I think for some of us on here, keeping busy is a way of managing, rather than staying at home and worrying about things, and this way you could have the best of both worlds.

Worth asking!! If they say no, see what they suggest under the difficult circumstances.

Good luck.

Alison

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 15:16

Hi Nidge
Running is your whole life . I don't exercise anymore other than an hour walking with the dogs each day , but I used to be very fit and a regular at the gym. I guess the hardest part is that you are not going to be able to stop running as it is like a drug , yet if you ask for hours off work but are seen out running , then it may ruffle some feathers. I sincerely hope your boss is on your side . From what I have read in your posts so far he / she has been pretty good . Keep doing what makes you feel good . That is most important
Chris

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 16:01

I'm currently off work, have been since I saw the Onco at the end of July. Like you I'll get paid for 6 months and work is OK with it so far. I've had the medical/early retirement chat with them as I have less than 3 years to go, but it's not clear whether I'll qualify for a medical...

I've been using it as practice and could easily get used to it. Done jobs on the house, visited places/friends, been out on the bike whenever I choose (or the weather's good) generally just done stuff without having to worry about time. I've really enjoyed it.

When I went private the Onco wrote to my GP, noting that I was off work and said that would be his recommendation...

After the last few days I tend to agree with him.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:00
I have been off work since my first dose of chemo in January, I get paid for a year so I am lucky.

Being off work has enabled me to look after myself properly, eat the right things, rest when I need to, run when I can and not getting stressed at all by commuting or not being able to stop if I need to at any time. Doing the right things I am convinced helped me get through chemo / RT and has mentally got me in a better place.

Like you sadly the damm disease will get us soon enough so I have done some nice things too as I doubt if I will ever get to retire being 50 now. My work knew that I ran marathons and have been on holidays and are fine with it as its my way of coping with a terminal illness, something that no drugs could do.

I am going back to work in 3 weeks to give it a go, physically I have the usual HT side effects, am very tired towards the end of the day but have been running still. Had to stop running wef Tuesday as had lots of knee pain and MRI shows some non cancer related overuse issues. That said, I will have a month off and then start building up again as I am going to run the Marathon Des Sables April 2016 in any condition as its probably the only chance I will get.

The reason for that bit of my life story is to hopefully help you make a decision to have a 6 month rest/ sabbatical so the you can hopefully extend your time and do some stuff now whilst you can.

I am not and have never been a shirker, I think I had 1 day off in 10 years prior to the cancer but now it is time to do everything I can for me. The fact your doctor will sign you off indicates that it is acceptable. No point being a martyr to work as you and I will spend a long enough time dead.

Hope that helps.

Kev ( IRUN but currently MUSTN'T RUN lol)

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:33

Great posts Kev, sums up my views perfectly and yes, Nidge, it does go aginst the grain, but as a friend at work said "They won't thank you for it" so I thought sod it, I'm going to look after No1

In the words of my GP: Now is the time to make some memories

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 20:02
I cried buckets on diagnosis but not much since until Tuesday when I was told that I could not run for at least a month and the 3 day 84 mile race I had been looking forward to next Friday was a complete no no.

I went to bed that night and cried uncontrollably for an hour , it's not about the running as such but just another thing I can't do ( run, sex, plan for retirement, have dreams for the future etc).

My life is like one of those games when you don't know when the timer will go off. I know that's life anyway but for most people there is an expectation of 70+ at the earliest. Every blood test like Russian roulette.

Enjoy your 6 months off whilst fighting PCa.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 09:16

Nidge
I can't really offer any advice other than to say you must give yourself priority over work.
I feel for you.

Paul

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 09:27

Nidge,

I am with Kev all the way, if you can cut your hours do it. Are you getting PIP if not get it, take everything you can to make life easier, time is to precious.

When i was diagnosed three years ago my company made me work from home and that is where i still am today, if it was not for the support i have had from them i  have no doubt i would not be here today.

All the best mate

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 15:21

Good on HR departments.
Enjoy your time off but don't think on't

Paul

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 15:26

All the very best Nidge. That sounds great. HR can be a nightmare but they realise when someone true comes along. Take care
Chris

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 19:52

Nidge this is the time to think of yourself.You know you are doing the right thing by coming off work.They know the genuine cases.
It is time to look after your health.Run when you can rest when you can.Hope everything goes well

Garry

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 12:52

been for an early morning 5 miler best pace I have managed for awhile 9.35 min mileing

nidge

run long and prosper

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 15:03
Hello Nisge

I am not sure what type of work that you do,but if I were your employer I would rather you be there a few hours a day than not at all, so it would seem reduced hours may be an option? Could you do flexible time ( say working 4 hours out of every 8 hour working day) so that you can have a lie in when needed, or an afternoon nap on other days. You could offer to take these half days as holidays for a few weeks and see how it goes?

I think for some of us on here, keeping busy is a way of managing, rather than staying at home and worrying about things, and this way you could have the best of both worlds.

Worth asking!! If they say no, see what they suggest under the difficult circumstances.

Good luck.

Alison

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 15:09

according to what I have read your employer should make alterations to your working hours, I was told that if I needed to this would be arranged but seems someone is having 2nd thoughts, have sent an email suggestion what you say to my boss re working a 4 hour shift from 8-12 to see how this affects me, have also made a gp appointment for a week on friday

it seems they can cover my shifts easier if I am not at work by cancelling other staffs leave, that will make me popular

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 15:16

Hi Nidge
Running is your whole life . I don't exercise anymore other than an hour walking with the dogs each day , but I used to be very fit and a regular at the gym. I guess the hardest part is that you are not going to be able to stop running as it is like a drug , yet if you ask for hours off work but are seen out running , then it may ruffle some feathers. I sincerely hope your boss is on your side . From what I have read in your posts so far he / she has been pretty good . Keep doing what makes you feel good . That is most important
Chris

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 16:01

I'm currently off work, have been since I saw the Onco at the end of July. Like you I'll get paid for 6 months and work is OK with it so far. I've had the medical/early retirement chat with them as I have less than 3 years to go, but it's not clear whether I'll qualify for a medical...

I've been using it as practice and could easily get used to it. Done jobs on the house, visited places/friends, been out on the bike whenever I choose (or the weather's good) generally just done stuff without having to worry about time. I've really enjoyed it.

When I went private the Onco wrote to my GP, noting that I was off work and said that would be his recommendation...

After the last few days I tend to agree with him.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:00
I have been off work since my first dose of chemo in January, I get paid for a year so I am lucky.

Being off work has enabled me to look after myself properly, eat the right things, rest when I need to, run when I can and not getting stressed at all by commuting or not being able to stop if I need to at any time. Doing the right things I am convinced helped me get through chemo / RT and has mentally got me in a better place.

Like you sadly the damm disease will get us soon enough so I have done some nice things too as I doubt if I will ever get to retire being 50 now. My work knew that I ran marathons and have been on holidays and are fine with it as its my way of coping with a terminal illness, something that no drugs could do.

I am going back to work in 3 weeks to give it a go, physically I have the usual HT side effects, am very tired towards the end of the day but have been running still. Had to stop running wef Tuesday as had lots of knee pain and MRI shows some non cancer related overuse issues. That said, I will have a month off and then start building up again as I am going to run the Marathon Des Sables April 2016 in any condition as its probably the only chance I will get.

The reason for that bit of my life story is to hopefully help you make a decision to have a 6 month rest/ sabbatical so the you can hopefully extend your time and do some stuff now whilst you can.

I am not and have never been a shirker, I think I had 1 day off in 10 years prior to the cancer but now it is time to do everything I can for me. The fact your doctor will sign you off indicates that it is acceptable. No point being a martyr to work as you and I will spend a long enough time dead.

Hope that helps.

Kev ( IRUN but currently MUSTN'T RUN lol)

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:11

kev
thanks that has helped me out great
not working and getting paid for it goes against my grain
but I need to find some balance and it will be tough not going to work but I think don't want any regrets and will not work whilst on chemo and see how it goes so that's going to be 10 weeks
nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:23
Good decision, look at it this way, if you were at work when your mind is distracted and you make a mistake no one will forgive you so better not be there in the first place.

2ndly, regarding 10 weeks, I found that after chemo you come off steroids 3 weeks later, this made me probably the most tired I had been as its the steroids that boost your overall strength whilst the chemo is going on so you may want a couple of more weeks to get used to not having them, my onco re prescribed steroids for me as I found it really hard to get going at the end.

Work and life is ying and yang, to date it has been all ying in favour of your employer so extended yang now is fine, they probably sit there thinking " there by the grace of God its you not them" so don't beat yourself up.

Kev

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:33

Great posts Kev, sums up my views perfectly and yes, Nidge, it does go aginst the grain, but as a friend at work said "They won't thank you for it" so I thought sod it, I'm going to look after No1

In the words of my GP: Now is the time to make some memories

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 19:51

my GP called me BRAVE, but sat here in floods of tears

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 20:02
I cried buckets on diagnosis but not much since until Tuesday when I was told that I could not run for at least a month and the 3 day 84 mile race I had been looking forward to next Friday was a complete no no.

I went to bed that night and cried uncontrollably for an hour , it's not about the running as such but just another thing I can't do ( run, sex, plan for retirement, have dreams for the future etc).

My life is like one of those games when you don't know when the timer will go off. I know that's life anyway but for most people there is an expectation of 70+ at the earliest. Every blood test like Russian roulette.

Enjoy your 6 months off whilst fighting PCa.

Kev

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 09:16

Nidge
I can't really offer any advice other than to say you must give yourself priority over work.
I feel for you.

Paul

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 09:27

Nidge,

I am with Kev all the way, if you can cut your hours do it. Are you getting PIP if not get it, take everything you can to make life easier, time is to precious.

When i was diagnosed three years ago my company made me work from home and that is where i still am today, if it was not for the support i have had from them i  have no doubt i would not be here today.

All the best mate

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 14:59

boss been to see me he is in agreement that time off is best, also spoke with our HR who couldn't belief I was working whilst having chemo they said
you are one of the few people who need to be off work , we normally spend our day trying to get people back to work
so now its time to keep putting my feet up for a few month

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 15:21

Good on HR departments.
Enjoy your time off but don't think on't

Paul

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 15:26

All the very best Nidge. That sounds great. HR can be a nightmare but they realise when someone true comes along. Take care
Chris

User
Posted 30 Oct 2015 at 19:52

Nidge this is the time to think of yourself.You know you are doing the right thing by coming off work.They know the genuine cases.
It is time to look after your health.Run when you can rest when you can.Hope everything goes well

Garry

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 00:11

Hi Guys,

To quote Karl Marx:

If work was good for you, the rich would have found a way of keeping it to themselves!

:)

Dave

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 04:26

Just catching up on an interesting thread. I have stayed at work so far throughout the nearly four years of this journey. I was diagnosed before the orthodoxy about early chemo arrived so it remains in the box for me. The rationale was that when I reached chemo I would take the six months full pay option and work a bit from home if I felt like it! Thankfully not reached that yet but increasing fatigue with four years HT has persuaded me to seek and get an early redundancy package to retire next April. I am hoping I stay fit to finish work well as have a few longer term projects I really want to complete. Now I am thinking it will be just my luck to retire and then go onto chemo! Hey ho it will happen one day so what will be will be.

I am glad HR have come up trumps you are exactly in the right position for sick leave. Chemo takes its toll in all sorts of ways and mistakes at work can be costly. Use this period to recharge the batteries, do all those things you have left to one side but only when you feel like it and do not feel guilty.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 07:56

Good news for you all Nidge,

HR Dept with a heart.

Have a good weekend, maybe some gentle running if you are up to it?

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 12:52

been for an early morning 5 miler best pace I have managed for awhile 9.35 min mileing

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 13:12

You're doing well Nidge.
I'm now doing 9:50's for 4 miles and that's just with HT and enzalutamide.

Paul

User
Posted 31 Oct 2015 at 13:55
Well done Nidge,

Steve

User
Posted 01 Nov 2015 at 14:03
It's great that you are getting out, the speed is truly amazing.

In hindsight relating to myself, I think that the steroids that I took whilst on chemo actually helped some of my physical performance when running!

Don't give up.

Kev