Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain after Chemotherapy

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 09:55

Hi

My Husband had his first Chemo last Wednesday.  All was well until Saturday when he started feeling pain in his calf muscles.

We thought this was a result of drinking too much water so stopped and he is now drinking normal amounts.  The pain has got worse and is now all over his body.  It seems mostly muscular with the occasional shooting pain. Worse in his legs.   

We have a call into the Doctor as Ibuprofen and Paracetamol do not relieve the pain. 

Has anybody any experience of this?

Thanks

Carol

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 12:20

hi I am on doctaxel chemo but not suffered with anything at to do with muscle pain, I assume hubby is taking steroids, I also have co codamol for pain relief

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 22:44

Hi Carol, did he have a G-CSF injection?

I had my first chemo (Docatexel) on Friday 23rd Oct. and a G-CSF injection (Lipegfilgrastim) on Saturday afternoon. I had no pain at all until the Sunday evening when I started getting sharp pains in my back on movement, it felt like I was 'pulling muscles' left, right and centre. Resting overnight eased it, but it was back again Monday afternoon and continued with a vengeance through to Wednesday, by which time it had spread to buttocks and legs. At times I could barely move. I also had bone pain on Tue/Wed which I suspect was due to the G-CSF. It all eased by Thursday and I was mostly pain free by Fri, I.e. a week after the chemo. I found Cocodamol + Ibuprofen works best for me.

Looking up Lipegfilgrastim, "the most frequent undesirable effects are musculoskeletal pains"...

User
Posted 10 Nov 2015 at 08:29

Carol, if you are still concerned then why not telephone the consultant's secretary and ask her to get reassurance for you. I'm sure they are used to doing it and it would be straight from the "horse's mouth"

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Nov 2015 at 21:59

Hi

Thank you for all of your replies. I have interrogated him gently and have managed to find out that it may be the steroids that he was given before and after the chemotherapy. He had dexamethasone the night before and the morning of the treatment. Prior to this, along with many others he had not been sleeping well, had loads of pain and fatigue. The dexamethasone made him feel great for 24 hours after the treatment. He slept well for that night and thought that was how he was going to feel. So once it wore off he felt awful.

The plus side of this is that I could not get him to take any pain relief before I posted the problem. Now since I have told him that co-codamol works for others he has tried it and it is working for him. So thank you all.

Carol