I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post treatment tests due soon

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 10:19
Was diagnosed in Summer 2013 age 57 after routine company medical which showed Gleason score of 45.

MRI showed large tumour in Prostate with potential local breach. Therefore staged as T3A

Biopsy determined Gleason Score 7 (3+4)

Treatment comprised of 37 doses of Radiotherapy and 2 year of Hormone treatment

Prior to radiotherapy there was a slight increase in PSA whilst on Bicalutamide

Consultant therefore decided to continue the Bicalutamide for the 2 years in addition to 3 monthly injections of Decapeptyl.

I am now at the end of the 2 year Hormone treatment and first blood test due in 3 weeks

PSA is currently undetectable

We have thrown everything at this disease including diet changes etc hoping for a cure result.

Consultant advises 40% chance of cure and any negative results are normally soon after coming off the Hormones I.e 1-2 years.

Have retired as a result of prognosis uncertainty but keen to hear from others in a similar situation their thoughts and experience

Getting on with life with a plan for the worst and hope for the best attitude but as all will be aware it's 24/7 issue in your mind and you at times go down some pretty dark passages

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 10:36

Apologies for typo in first sentence PSA was 45 obviously not Gleason Score
PJ9

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 11:32

Hello PJ9 and welcome

I haven't any personal knowledge of your stage of cancer but I'm sure there will be a few on here that can offer up some advice.

In the meantime, good luck with the next blood test. Always a worrying time.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 12:05
Hello PJ9

Check out some peoples' profiles by clicking on their names, there may be others with similar situation to yourself.

Arthur

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 21:24

Hi PJ,

I was in a similar position to you, G9 T3b N? at diagnosis in 2007, I then had a year of messing about with lymph nodes before RT, so when I came off HT in 2011, I had been on it 3 1/2 years.

I had discussed things with my Consultant before hand, and wthout giving me a specific target, he said he would like my PSA to rise not much higher than 2.5 after 2 years.

Whilst on HT, Zoladex in my case, PSA had been steady on <0.1

My first PSA test, 3 months after last implant was 0.8.

For the first two years everything was hunky dory, I had my PSA tested every 3 months and it bounced around in the 1's and 2's.

I even started to use the 'c' word, as I thought PCa was sorted.

However in the next 6 months PSA rose rapidly from 2 to 4 then 6.

I was never quite sure whether it was the old tumour coming back to life, or a whole new fresh one that had developed in what was left of my prostate.

Without going into detail (You can read all the detail on my Profile) the good news was that I was selected for 'Salvage' HDR Brachytherapy.

So it is probablly a good idea to ask your consultant what level of PSA he anticipates, keep your fingers crossed, hope for a c*** and bear in mind that even if you aren't c**** there will be even more slavage options available by the time PCa comes back to bite you again?

:)

Dave