I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stabilising surgery?

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 12:16

Has anyone had stabilising surgery on their spine prior to radiotherapy?
They are suggesting I have the vertebra above and below L2 pinned as radiotherapy can make it brittle and cause collapse.

If you have had it, how are you now? was it successful? any problems?

Thanks in advance.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 23:17

Hi Kev,
I can't think of anyone on here recently that has had this in preparation for RT but there are a few who have had stabilising surgery to prevent spinal compression or pelvic fractures, for example. I guess it is rare simply because not many men with spine mets are offered significant bouts of radiotherapy. Try putting 'bone mets surgery' in the search box

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 16:33
Couldn't have it in the end, just had 5 RT's on L2.
Pretty much immobile now. Have just got a mobility scooter. Still on prostap but have stopped bicalutamide as now resistant. Had CT and bone scans Tuesday and see oncologist 23 May. Asking for Radium 223. Although if she has anything better to suggest I will consider that.

Glad I did up my Cancer room with everything to hand without having to get out of bed because I'm here a lot now. Big screen projector for footie, wee wee bag, various laptops, tablets, phones. TV that's on a bracket that swings out then pushes back flush against the wall. WiFi lights which I can dim, change colour and flash as much as I want via my tablet. Printer, Xbox one and BT sport's and Sky sports and the essential headphones for those sleepless nights. Oh yes... and a most wonderful, loving, caring wife. What more could a man want?? Oh yeah.......not to have this *****ng horrible disease.

Edited by member 05 May 2016 at 16:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 22:08
Sorry to hear that you are now pretty much immobile Kev, it sounds like you prepared very carefully for this and have a wonderful lady in your life who loves and cares for you. I really feel for you because behind your banter this must be very worrying but taking my tone from yours, happy gaming, no one can really tell you off now and send you off to do chores instead.

Love
Devonmaid
User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 07:23

Thank you Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 14:02

Your room sounds great - fingers crossed you get an antiandrogen withdrawal boost and, as a result, some respite.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 May 2016 at 17:22

Kevin , I wish you all the best but gaming console might be a step too far..... Will now go and sit on the naughty step.El. x