Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is HT still working?

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 15:32
Hello all

After 11 months on Prostap plus Enzalutamide (I'm on Stampede trial group J) my Hot Flushes seem to be reducing in intensity and frequency.

Last night I had the best nights sleep this year with no Hots during the night. I'm still getting the odd one or two during the day.

Now being a little bit of a pessimist my first thought is the HT has stopped working.

My psa has been consistently low at around .05 this year ((last reading was October) my next Onco visit is 11 January.

I'm aware of all the inconsistencies about psa values so don't really trust them.

I wondered if anyone has any advice or has experienced similar changes

Thank you for listening.

Paul

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 16:29

I am not sure about Prostap; my husband Tony is on Decapeptyl, and although his cancer has now become hormone resistant and his PSA is rocketing, he still gets the hot flushes. So in the case of this hormone, the flushes are no indicator of whether the hormone is actually doing what it's supposed to do.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2015 at 09:29

And what I find is that young ladies no longer look the slightest bit attractive - I see all the wrinkles on their faces instead. The sudden disappearance of that magnetic charm of the opposite sex took me somewhat by surprise, something that is rarely mentioned in the side effects.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 16:29

I am not sure about Prostap; my husband Tony is on Decapeptyl, and although his cancer has now become hormone resistant and his PSA is rocketing, he still gets the hot flushes. So in the case of this hormone, the flushes are no indicator of whether the hormone is actually doing what it's supposed to do.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 23:50

Thanks piglet for your reply.
I do hope your husband Tony's PC is brought back under control, what is his next stage?

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 09:43
Thanks for your concern, Healey. He has now been on Enzalutamide for 2 weeks but he's sticking to his pain-relief regime until after his next blood test in early December. Then we'll find out whether this is working or not ...

I should have said in my earlier reply, his testosterone was still very low even though PSA and ALPs were soaring. I think the hormone goes on working in just the same way, even when it's failing to control the cancer; it's the cancer that changes in time, and finds a way round it.

Marje aka piglet

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 12:31
Hi Paul

I've been having Prostap injections since January 2013, next one is next Monday. I had hot flushes regularly for some time but these have now diminished somewhat and I only have them occasionally now. My PSA results so far have been consistently good, I'm seeing the oncologist in January and will have the blood tests a few days before so I'm hoping for good results again.

All the best

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 12:50

Hi Guys,

I had a tricky few weeks just over a year ago, when my PSA started to rise during HT.  It was soon back to normal after a further shot of Prostrap and the consensus at my hospital was that the GP/Pharmacy had possibly given me a one month shot of Prostrap instead of a 3 month dose, (the GP's surgery denied this, but to quote Mandy Rice Davis, they would say that wouldn't they).

The first thing I noticed was getting salacious thoughts, quite out of the blue, and I think that is a good indicator of HT performance, if you like me are back into boyhood interests like football, cricket, planes, trains and automobiles, then HT is probablly working well, but if you start thinking thoughts about the ladies, then it is time to query the effectiveness of HT?

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 13:43
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Guys,

The first thing I noticed was getting salacious thoughts, quite out of the blue, and I think that is a good indicator of HT performance, if you like me are back into boyhood interests like football, cricket, planes, trains and automobiles, then HT is probablly working well, but if you start thinking thoughts about the ladies, then it is time to query the effectiveness of HT?

:)

Dave

Spot on Dave!!

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 17:56

Thanks Dave that sounds logical.
Paul

User
Posted 25 Nov 2015 at 09:29

And what I find is that young ladies no longer look the slightest bit attractive - I see all the wrinkles on their faces instead. The sudden disappearance of that magnetic charm of the opposite sex took me somewhat by surprise, something that is rarely mentioned in the side effects.