I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

worried about husband

User
Posted 01 Dec 2015 at 20:20

Hi my husband had an mri scan on the 12th nov and a biopsy on the 24th nov, husband phoned gp tonight about mri results and all she would say was there is an area on mri but wont know until biopsy results, I'm so worried he went to gp with symptoms ayear ago and gp would not send him for a test i'm bloody fuming now. H is still in alot of pain from biopsy and yesterday got antibiotics from gp, how long do you normally have to wait for results of biopsy if it is serious thanks from a worried wife 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2015 at 21:59

Hi Patsy
I had to wait just over 2 weeks for results.Also same as your husband had area on MRI but didn't know anything until got biopsy results
Easy to say but try not to worry too much and please do not go looking on the internet.There is a lot of misleading information out there
People will be along on here with a lot more knowledge than me.They will be able to help

Garry

User
Posted 01 Dec 2015 at 22:05

Two weeks is a very standard wait for a biopsy not marked " urgent " , even though it is for yourselves. It's normal to start anti-biotics a week before the biopsy to prepare the body for infection. Best of luck for your results
Chris

Edited by member 01 Dec 2015 at 22:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2015 at 22:40
Hi worried wife
We waited two weeks as well but the appointment was with urology and we knew nothing until then. I'm not sure it's wise for a GP to worry you like that, you need the results once they have been properly analysed by an expert. Antibiotics after a biopsy are standard as infection in that area is very dangerous, I'm very surprised you had to get the, from the GP.

Do you have a known PSA result?

I can only advise you to try to keep your nerve until you see the experts, we often say now that we don't have a clue how those weeks passed or what we did.

Good luck for the results.

With best wishes
Devonmaid
User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 06:37

Good morning patsy and welcome to the site.

Two weeks or so is around standard I think.

Your GP is now playing catchup. It seems that so many of them use age as a baseline for deciding whether to investigate. Probably thinking of their budgets.

Did the GP do a rectal exam and if so what was the comment made on that. As Devonmaid says a PSA will help members when they are advising so if you could find that out and post it would be useful.

As far as the pain from the biopsy is concerned there isn't a lot apart from painkillers. Make sure the other half drinks plenty of non alcoholic fluid and watch for signs of infection, even though you now have antibiotics.

His urine and semen probably have blood in them and that can last for several weeks but is usual so don't worry about that, or the bruising either. They will eventually disappear.

Anyway, try and stay calm the pair of you. No point in wasting energy at this stage. IF the results show PC then you are in the right place for support and advice so ask whatever you want to know.

I've no doubt that when your husband goes for the results you will be with him, but take a notebook and pen and try and write down relevant info. Ask for it to be repeated and explained if it doesn't make sense.

This is an important time of your life if you have to make treatment decisions so take as much control as you need to at the meeting. You could ask this site for a copy (or download it) of The Toolkit. It would be better than surfing the web at any rate and it might help you have the knowledge gained from it to form questions to ask, It's under Publications

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 02 Dec 2015 at 06:38  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 07:59

Thank you so much for replying, I will find out his psa and let you know. He is still in a lot of pain only started the antibiotics on Monday so will have to wait for them to start to work. I have a feeling his psa was 5 something but I will check. Thanks again Pat