I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When to take Tamsulosin? For best results?

User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 19:31
Hi all, I have been on Tamsulosin for over 1year now and to date have not really been able to judge when to take the tablet to get the best results for less frequent peeing at night.

I have not had the best run in since being diagnosed and have been in hospital for major op as well as ongoing treatment for my PCa and only just completed radio therapy so have not got a pattern going yet.

Every night I get up at least 5 or 6 times, sometimes more, and occasionally there is a gap of two hours between pee's. I have tried taking tablets at 6 pm, 9pm, first thing in the morning, at lunch time but not latched on to anything that makes a difference.

Has anyone been able to crack the code as it would be good to find a solution and hopefully gat a full nights sleep (it's only been 3 years since sleeping through).

Any help would be great fully received.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint.

Edited by member 02 Dec 2015 at 21:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 00:37

John used to take it before going to bed. But if this has been going on for three years, you might get more benefit from bladder retraining - it could just be that your brain has learned to wake you and demand action and it has become a habit. A good incontinence clinic should be able to offer bladder retraining classes or at least information sheets

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 08:41

The fact that taking it in the morning or evening seems to make very little difference probably answers the same question as I had. I take mine after breakfast, but also suffer some nights in going to the loo many times. I was thinking of changing to taking it in the evening but I guess I will leave it as it is. (been taking Tamsulosin since August)
Bladder training really is the answer. During the day I force myself only to go every 2-2.5 hours and usually manage it. But I also suffer from poor flow at times and retention - the other day I had a trip to A&E for this - of course by the time I had waited my turn and was seen 2 hours later everything was back to normal and I produced a good flow. I suspect part of my problem is dehydration due to not quite getting my 2 litres/day water intake so by the time night comes I am producing very little but my bladder is still telling me I need to go even though it is empty...
Last night I actually managed a full 3 hours between visits, luxury indeed...
Half way through my first Prostap injection, RT due early in the new year.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 09:08

been taking it in the evening, only been 3 weeks, not stopped the visits still as many but doesn't feel as urgent, so will see how it goes

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 13:18

Seemingly a contradiction but the situation can become worse if too little water is drunk and the urine becomes very strong.

I have taken Tamsulosin for over 15 years to help relax sphincter. I used to take it last thing at night along with other tablets so this way I remembered it. Unfortunately, I have found in recent months taking tablets before going to bed tends to cause me to have acid reflux. Therefore, I now tend to spread taking tablets throughout the day and have not noticed any difference to night time visits.

Barry
User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 20:01

I was advised that Tamsulosin can cause dizziness so decided to take it last thing at night. If you look at Patient.info it suggests that for the first dose, but after that suggests it can be taken any time, but should be taken at a consistent time. It does suggest that general advice is to take it after a meal.

Pierre

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 20:14
Hello, when my other half was having problems at night after his brachytherapy the consultant put him onto 2 tamsulosin 1 morning and 1 night. He said not to take the night one too late at night or it won't come into effect until the early hours. He also prescribed mirabegron as the tamsulosin didn't help much, these stopped the night waking straight away. Before treatment he rarely got up at night for the toilet. About 3 weeks after treatment the problems started.

The consultant suggested sipping water in the night to help with the flow. But if he is asleep he's obviously not going to be sipiping water!

Almost one year on he usually sleeps all night, he said he would wake and think he wanted to go but wouldn't get up. He thinks this has retrained his bladder to go longer. He still takes a tamsulosin and mirabegron in the evening. Nothing in the morning. Do ask for help. Our consultantant helped. Good luck.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 20:59

Hi Guys,

I am off to see my consultant in the morning, my regular 3 monthly appointment and Tamsulosin is top of my list to question him about.

Earlier in the week I decided to get some 'evidence', so I marked off an old yougurt pot with indelible ink, and started timing and measurig each time I urinated.

First 24 hour period was a total of 29 urinations, I drank 2.35 litres and urinated 2.26.  Amazingly I was awake to urinate at 02:05, 02:35, 03:35, 04:10, 05:15, 05:55, 07:00 and 07:40.  What is more I am so used to nights like that, that I managed to go straight back to sleep each time as though nothing had happened!

Third 24 hour period I was only up 4 times in the night, 01:15, 03;10, 04:50 and 06:50.

More importantly in the main my days are organised around the toilet, I know pretty much all the public toilets and all the supermarket and shop's toilets hereabouts and whenever we go out I am looking to take a leak at every opportunity just to be on the safe side! 

However on Sunday, my grandaughter was on stage at the local 'switching on of the Christmas lights, it was a cold day with a fierce wind and I found myself going a whole 3 hours without needing the loo.

So I am now starting to think it is as much a mind of matter thing?  Obviously waking up at night is not psychosomatic, however if I can go a whole 3 hours when distracted, then it gives a lie to my need to go more frequently?

So my 'evidence gathering' hasn't proved a thing, I am more confused than ever!

:)

Dave  

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 15:30

Hi Guys,

I saw my consultant today, his advice is as follows:

Take tamsulosin in morning.

Keep yourself occupied/ammused during the day, if you spend all day wondering about whether you need the toilet you will spend all day needing the loo.  But if you find something to occupy your mind, you will find toilet issues fade into background.

Take 2 x Paracetamol in evening, enhances tamsulosin performance and stops us getting up for a pee so often during the night.

Do not drink 2 lites of Green tea and coffeee every day as I had been doing, I litre is enough, and best not to drink too much before bedtime.

All fairly simple and straightforward, can't think why I had a problem with it?

Dave

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 20:17
My OH has similar issues and takes tamulosin and Solefenicin and Betmiga and none of them work for long I'm afraid. OH is having a kidney scan next week to find out what's happening as he can be up every half an hour at night (not always but at least 4 times). His last kidney scan showed some issues but the medics just prescribed Betmiga as it has been producing some great results. OH still has his cancerous Prostate as he has mets so we've tended to think that the prostate is the villain of the piece here.

He has also tried taking pills at various times but was told to take Tamulosin at night as it lowers the blood pressure and makes you dizzy and that's safest when you are already horizontal. Very good information about the paracetmol though, that's a new one on me.

Cheers

Allison

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 21:27

Although reduced blood pressure is a known side effect of Tamsulosin like all side effects some suffer it and others don't. I already take Ramipril to control my blood pressure but even with that and Tamsulosin my BP is still a bit high up to 160/90, usually more like 135/80. I wish it did go lower... Taking as suggested both drugs after breakfast, the time when your BP is lowest anyway.
Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 00:37

John used to take it before going to bed. But if this has been going on for three years, you might get more benefit from bladder retraining - it could just be that your brain has learned to wake you and demand action and it has become a habit. A good incontinence clinic should be able to offer bladder retraining classes or at least information sheets

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 08:41

The fact that taking it in the morning or evening seems to make very little difference probably answers the same question as I had. I take mine after breakfast, but also suffer some nights in going to the loo many times. I was thinking of changing to taking it in the evening but I guess I will leave it as it is. (been taking Tamsulosin since August)
Bladder training really is the answer. During the day I force myself only to go every 2-2.5 hours and usually manage it. But I also suffer from poor flow at times and retention - the other day I had a trip to A&E for this - of course by the time I had waited my turn and was seen 2 hours later everything was back to normal and I produced a good flow. I suspect part of my problem is dehydration due to not quite getting my 2 litres/day water intake so by the time night comes I am producing very little but my bladder is still telling me I need to go even though it is empty...
Last night I actually managed a full 3 hours between visits, luxury indeed...
Half way through my first Prostap injection, RT due early in the new year.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 09:08

been taking it in the evening, only been 3 weeks, not stopped the visits still as many but doesn't feel as urgent, so will see how it goes

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 13:18

Seemingly a contradiction but the situation can become worse if too little water is drunk and the urine becomes very strong.

I have taken Tamsulosin for over 15 years to help relax sphincter. I used to take it last thing at night along with other tablets so this way I remembered it. Unfortunately, I have found in recent months taking tablets before going to bed tends to cause me to have acid reflux. Therefore, I now tend to spread taking tablets throughout the day and have not noticed any difference to night time visits.

Barry
User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 17:28

Thanks everyone for your responses, I think I am going to have to keep soldiering on with timing of it.

Lyn I shall contact the urology clinic to see if they can organise bladder retraining, just to see if it is that.

Dave I find that during the day it is not so much of a problem except that when I get the call from my bladder it is urgent and by the time I get to a loo I stand there and wait, then wait some more just for a splash/eggcup full and sometimes a real good one.

Barry I think I need to have a little more water now that you mention it. During RT I was drinking my 2litres each day but since finishing I have not drunk so much, will try that.

Nidge hope it works for you

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 20:01

I was advised that Tamsulosin can cause dizziness so decided to take it last thing at night. If you look at Patient.info it suggests that for the first dose, but after that suggests it can be taken any time, but should be taken at a consistent time. It does suggest that general advice is to take it after a meal.

Pierre

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 20:14
Hello, when my other half was having problems at night after his brachytherapy the consultant put him onto 2 tamsulosin 1 morning and 1 night. He said not to take the night one too late at night or it won't come into effect until the early hours. He also prescribed mirabegron as the tamsulosin didn't help much, these stopped the night waking straight away. Before treatment he rarely got up at night for the toilet. About 3 weeks after treatment the problems started.

The consultant suggested sipping water in the night to help with the flow. But if he is asleep he's obviously not going to be sipiping water!

Almost one year on he usually sleeps all night, he said he would wake and think he wanted to go but wouldn't get up. He thinks this has retrained his bladder to go longer. He still takes a tamsulosin and mirabegron in the evening. Nothing in the morning. Do ask for help. Our consultantant helped. Good luck.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 20:59

Hi Guys,

I am off to see my consultant in the morning, my regular 3 monthly appointment and Tamsulosin is top of my list to question him about.

Earlier in the week I decided to get some 'evidence', so I marked off an old yougurt pot with indelible ink, and started timing and measurig each time I urinated.

First 24 hour period was a total of 29 urinations, I drank 2.35 litres and urinated 2.26.  Amazingly I was awake to urinate at 02:05, 02:35, 03:35, 04:10, 05:15, 05:55, 07:00 and 07:40.  What is more I am so used to nights like that, that I managed to go straight back to sleep each time as though nothing had happened!

Third 24 hour period I was only up 4 times in the night, 01:15, 03;10, 04:50 and 06:50.

More importantly in the main my days are organised around the toilet, I know pretty much all the public toilets and all the supermarket and shop's toilets hereabouts and whenever we go out I am looking to take a leak at every opportunity just to be on the safe side! 

However on Sunday, my grandaughter was on stage at the local 'switching on of the Christmas lights, it was a cold day with a fierce wind and I found myself going a whole 3 hours without needing the loo.

So I am now starting to think it is as much a mind of matter thing?  Obviously waking up at night is not psychosomatic, however if I can go a whole 3 hours when distracted, then it gives a lie to my need to go more frequently?

So my 'evidence gathering' hasn't proved a thing, I am more confused than ever!

Dave  

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 15:30

Hi Guys,

I saw my consultant today, his advice is as follows:

Take tamsulosin in morning.

Keep yourself occupied/ammused during the day, if you spend all day wondering about whether you need the toilet you will spend all day needing the loo.  But if you find something to occupy your mind, you will find toilet issues fade into background.

Take 2 x Paracetamol in evening, enhances tamsulosin performance and stops us getting up for a pee so often during the night.

Do not drink 2 lites of Green tea and coffeee every day as I had been doing, I litre is enough, and best not to drink too much before bedtime.

All fairly simple and straightforward, can't think why I had a problem with it?

Dave

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 17:36

Thanks Dave, I will definitely take paracetamol tonight before me bed and will start taking Tamsulosin in morning as suggested, let's hope it works, I will keep you posted. I do not drink at night anyway but will continue with water during the day.

SJB, I will have a word with urologist next time I see him and ask about the Mirabegon.

Regards Chris/Woody

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 20:17
My OH has similar issues and takes tamulosin and Solefenicin and Betmiga and none of them work for long I'm afraid. OH is having a kidney scan next week to find out what's happening as he can be up every half an hour at night (not always but at least 4 times). His last kidney scan showed some issues but the medics just prescribed Betmiga as it has been producing some great results. OH still has his cancerous Prostate as he has mets so we've tended to think that the prostate is the villain of the piece here.

He has also tried taking pills at various times but was told to take Tamulosin at night as it lowers the blood pressure and makes you dizzy and that's safest when you are already horizontal. Very good information about the paracetmol though, that's a new one on me.

Cheers

Allison

User
Posted 04 Dec 2015 at 21:27

Although reduced blood pressure is a known side effect of Tamsulosin like all side effects some suffer it and others don't. I already take Ramipril to control my blood pressure but even with that and Tamsulosin my BP is still a bit high up to 160/90, usually more like 135/80. I wish it did go lower... Taking as suggested both drugs after breakfast, the time when your BP is lowest anyway.
Dave

User
Posted 05 Dec 2015 at 23:40

Only just had chance to get on my IPad today but last night I had a couple of half hour wake up calls then a couple of one hour then a four hour sleep until 7-00am. I took two paracetamol just before going to bed so it looks like something worked!

Unfortunately it's nearly midnight and only just got home but will take two tonight(should try to take them earlier maybe to see if they work right from word go), let's see if it works again!

Cheers Chris/Woody

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 08:20

Well Paracetamol didn't work for me.... Took a couple Friday night before going to bed, up every half hour and my flow virtually stopped, normal service didn't restore until mid morning. Took none last night and had an excellent night's sleep and no flow problems at all.
I know some have reported flow related issues with Paracetamol but others clearly don't - it certainly is an issue with cocodamol which clearly tells you not to use it if you have prostate problems but Paracetamol seems never mentioned.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 19:04
That contradicts what our consultant said. My other half was taking it about 10pm and he said it would come into effect about 4am he suggested taking it around 8pm to get the benefit earlier in the night. I'm sure he said it would be out of his system during the day. So taken in the morning will have no effect at night. Perhaps I got that wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am
User
Posted 07 Dec 2015 at 09:40

It seems like there is differing advice. 

I took a look at the packaging for the brand I take which are Petyme MR Capsules. The MR means "modified release" whereby the medication consists of tiny pellets coated in varying thicknesses of a material that takes sometime to break down. In that way the medication is delivered throughout the 24 hour period.

That doesn't seem to agree with "taking it about 10pm and he said it would come into effect about 4am"

I am wondering about the taking it at night (as I do) as it it a muscle relaxant making it easier to urinate. I rarely need to go at night so don't need the benefit of the muscle relaxant overnight, but as above if it is "modified release" than I guess some form of benefit should be there 24/7.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2015 at 18:19

The differing advice is for good reason - men taking tamsulosin for BPH / enlarged prostate which reduces urine flow will be given different instructions to those men taking it as a muscle relaxant.

John took it (or Xtral) from the age of 35 because he had a bladder like old leather apparently but he never had an enlarged prostate.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2015 at 19:05

To avoid any confusion :) It is understood that the majority of men here are taking tamsulosin for BPH / enlarged prostate, and that is what my comment was aimed about. I rarely need to go at night so don't need the benefit of the muscle relaxant overnight.

My statement was a paraphrase of patient.info "Tamsulosin works by relaxing the muscles around your bladder and prostate gland so that you can pass urine more easily.

Hope that clarifies :)

User
Posted 08 Dec 2015 at 00:12

The OP who started this thread (conversation) was looking for advice on timing to help reduce his nighttime frequency which was up to 5 or 6 times a night, regardless of the reason why others were prescribed Tamsulosin.

Barry
User
Posted 08 Dec 2015 at 05:40

Very true Barry, nothing has really changed yet even though I have tried paracetamol and Tamsulosin at varying times daily but nothing noted yet.

It is also a good thing to have additional info on both tablets which can be adapted for each circumstance, I am sure those that are commenting are doing so as part of the conversation and I must admit I did not know that about enlarged prostates etc and unless it was mentioned I would possibly have taken advice that did not apply.

Thanks once again everyone for the input, I am persevering with it all.

Regards Chris/Woody

User
Posted 11 Dec 2015 at 18:01

Just a quick update regarding paracetamol tablets, I have taken two tablets with my Tamsulosin tablet at eight pm for the last three nights and have only had to get up two times each night ( I get up at 6-00 am most days for work) so I am thinking that it is a bit of a result!!

Long may it continue..it's great to be having so much sleep!.

Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you and your OH's, let's extract some positives over the holiday..relax on the worrying and pick up where we left of in the New Year.

Regards Chris/Woody and my OH Debb.

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2015 at 19:30

Are the paracetamols still having a benefit?

Pierre

User
Posted 31 Dec 2015 at 22:01

Hi Pierre, not sure what to make of the pill taking as generally it has helped (3-4 times each night) with a few lapses but am pleased with results so far. Last night I had 5 hours before I went to the loo and only got up twice in total.

Looking forward to 2016 if it carries on like this.

Best wishes and happy new year

Chris/Woody

User
Posted 31 Dec 2015 at 22:31

Thanks! Glad it is working for you.

I get by with (mostly) not going at night but I will store this away for the future just in case!

Happy New Year to All!

Pierre

User
Posted 02 Jan 2016 at 19:50

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year.

I guess like many of you I have a had a few days of eating all the wrong foods (Normally I try to stick th Jane Plant, but over Christmas it has been meat, cheese, chocolates and sweeties) and a few evenings of drinking stronger stuff than Green Tea (Santa brought bottles of Whiskey and Rum)

It doesn't seem to have done me any harm on the urinary front, I am still urged occasionally, I still get up during the night, but I have to say that it doesn't sting so much, so 10 months after HDR Brachytherapy there is a glimmer of hope that the radiation cystitis is past its peak, and a couple of glasses of the hard stuff seem to help me sleep longer through the night.

Dave 

User
Posted 02 Jan 2016 at 20:39

Happy new year Dave, I have found that foods do not bother me at all but having a drink after 6-00 in the eve does so try to stay off liquids. I do not drink alcohol anyway so this time of year makes no difference.

Glad you have found a way to stay asleep good excuse to say it is for medicinal purposes lol.

I will keep on the paracetamols and Tamsulosin.. Woopeeedoooo!!

Best wishes, Chris/Woody

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 18:45

Just a general update on my Tamsulosin tablets to say that I take them at 6-00pm each evening and the urology nurse has put me on Solifenacin 5mg tablets, I have been on them for two weeks now and my nightly visits to the loo seem to be fixed at three times per night so my sleep is better than it has been for several years.

The nurse said that Solifenacin should stop my bladder having spasms and if there are no problems with them affecting me I can take 10 mgs to give me a better flow.

Looking forward to even longer sleep times..YAY!!

Regards to everyone, Chris/Woody

User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 06:10

First 30 days stopped the need to urinate at night, and improved flow. I did experience back pain, reduced sex drive, and some depression. The last 6 months I only take it every third day with fewer side affects. I am 65 years old - https://healthful-online.com/c2831/flomax.html

Edited by member 08 Jun 2023 at 06:45  | Reason: Not specified