I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Operation 29 Dec

User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 19:09
Hi first time on site and looking for support please. Diagnosed 3/12 with pc having op 29 Dec feels like it's been a roller coaster found by chance following water infection. Psa started at 13.1 went down to 9.6 after meds for infection. Tc1, cancer in all samples but Gleason 7 3&4. With one week to go feeling nervous of what to expect, how I'm going to feel. Thanks Paul.
User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 17:12
Thanks Luther. I am now on the ward just about to enjoy my first ever hospital meal. I think that is more nerve racking than the op! As soon as I feel up to it I will post to let everyone know how it went. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post good wishes and advice. Paul.
User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 15:55

One thing missing, Paul. You will be shot out of hospital as fast as possible (esp with New Year celebrations for medical staff coming up). You may feel fine, but you are not superman, and you are allowed to take it very easy for a while to allow your insides to heal properly. Add some box sets of back numbers of Startrek or similar to your shopping list.

Good luck!

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 20:55

Hi Paul.Good luck with your op,tomorrow .I had similar to you ,diagnosed Jan 2014 psa. 27. Gleason 3+4 had RP davinci june 2014. To be honest operation was a breeze but ,as everyone is telling you ,just be prepared to relax after and allow the recovery process to take its time.A bit of exercise and you will be on the road to recovery.All best wishes ,you will be fine .Chris

User
Posted 02 Jan 2016 at 10:08

Hi Paul

I had da vinci in oct 2013. so far it has been a success with clear test results. my stats were similar to yours though my psa was 4.3 on diagnosis. i had no symptoms or family history and only an annual blood test showed something happening inside. i was 6 weeks from diagnosis to op but what a long 6 weeks. i think you did the same in 4 weeks so waht a whirlwind for you

My thoughts from what i remember.

I expected internal pain from the op but didnt have anything. The only pain was getting out of bed from the incisions. As a regular gym user my doctor told me to increase fitness levels before the op so 3 trips a week went up to 5. good advice as i am sure my fitness was a big help in recovery. Only thing is i started thinking i was fitter than i was and tried to run before walking. so first week is definitely a case of total rest. you might feel good but your body has gone through so much. i watched films and slept most of the first week.

i set myself aims and started doing one or two 20 min walks in the second week. i had an aim to turn up for the monthly meeting of the local support group 2 weeks after the op. a relation drove me there. the members there were surprised to see me as they said they didnt think i would be able to attend so soon.

at the end of the third week i was driving locally and got to the gym!! i just did my pelvic exercises and some walking on a running machine but the big thing was able to drive and walk into the gym. i felt life was returning to normal.it was many months before i attempted to return a normal gym routine

after 6 weeks i started swimming which became my main activity. i was on full pads for the first 4 weeks. i expected this but it was very frustrating. sneezing, coughing etc all had an effect. then suddenly i found i could go onto very small pads. what a relief!! 2 weeks later  i realised i did not need any pads and since then have not used any. i am 99% dry. there is the occasional minor leak and it just happens for no reason.

over 2 years on and i feel great. i am working normally and my work is physical but i have no problems with it.Last July i started playing walking football which is so much fun. we have coaching from a qualified coach and then a game. i never thought at 60 that i would be going football training. our team are entering 2 national competitions this year and i am have made a new social network.

we are all different so take your time with your recovery  and keep us informed. 

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 18:45

reference lynne's reply of 2nd january she is quite right in her comments.

i contacted DVLA and my insurance company. Both said if you can do an emergency stop then you are ok to proceed. Also i had been with the insurance company a long time as a driving instructor and had gained advanced driving awards, so they knew i wouldn't take any risks. i had an arrangement that i would only drive locally. I did not drive every day and if i did it was only a maximum of about 5 miles. but i had no reaction and if i did  i would have stopped straightaway.I didnt undertake any long distance driving for months.

i did very little in the gym for a number of months, apart from pfes and walking on a jogger. i did not want to ruin the good work that had been done in the op.

apart from getting out of bed in the first week i did not feel any pain. after the second week i was walking and felt great. But the body has to heal and you have to respect what has happened. so it best to be cautious and take one step at a time

my overall recovery has been good and after about 6/7 months i was back to normal

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 19:49

Hi Paul,
Here's a short shopping list for you then (or suggestions at least)
- proper underpants in a size larger than you usually wear (not boxers) - your testicles and penis may be very swollen after the op and pants give better support - they also hold the catheter more still
- tracksuit bottoms or joggers with a drawstring waist in a dark colour - M&S stores and their outlets sell these reasonably cheap
- a waterproof sheet from somewhere like dunelm - or puppy training pads
- a bucket to stand the night bag in so that you don't have to worry about spills
- ask while you are in the hospital whether you can have some local anaesthetic gel for the eye of your penis - if not available in your area, check that your catheter tube is compliant with KY jelly and if so, buy a tube
- ask the hospital and your GP whether either provide incontinence pads. You will probably need these when the catheter is removed but will not feel like going out shopping after the op! If you need to buy your own, make sure they are men's pads not unisex. Tesco, morrisons, etc sell Tena for Men, often on special offer

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 20:15
Hi Paul,

I have sent you a message with some of my experiences.

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 22:52
Paul

Things move forward in the medical world. Post op passing that first motion will be a milestone,no straining and do not get constipated,our hospital now start guys on senna or movicol just before the op.

Are you doing your pelvic floor exercises ? I was told no PFE while the catheter is in. There is an android app called prostate aerobics that is a good aid.

The gel Lyn suggested is instillagel about £3 a tube from chemists.

I went to bed with a pad in my underpants and a pair of tenna4 pants over the top, if the tenna4 does not get soiled it can be reused. As I travelled around and stopped in hotels it saved any mishaps.

Something for when you are out and about in the car in the future, get a couple of boots urine bottles in case you get caught short and a towel to cover your bits, a spare pair of pants is also useful.

Find a suitable drink you like, you are going to be drinking lots of fluid. Hospital water can leave a lot to be desired.

There have been some good posts with a more comprehensive shoping list but I can not find them.

All the best for your op.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 07:41

Morning Paul

Here's a list I put together a while ago...it may help and others will no doubt chip in too...

Catheter night stand - I ordered one and was them given one upon discharge
Baggy clothes
Y-fronts (rather than boxers)
Ducolax to get tugs moving without straining
Imodium to slow things down if necessary
Paracetamols
Co-codamols - check thet are the dis-solvable ones
Peppermint tea to help with the gases
Waterproof mattress cover - a second one is useful in case of accidents
Supply of pads - I was discharged with a supply on unisex ones but quickly swapped to proper shaped news
Cranberry juice
Pomegranate juice
And don't forget your PFE's

And good luck

Duncan

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 19:55
Hi Lyn. Thank you for replying to my post. Your advice is very useful, it's good to know there are people out there who have had similar experiences. No doubt I will be posting more questions as time passes. Paul.
User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 19:58
Hi Duncan. Many thanks for sending your reply. It is good to know I am not alone. No doubt I will be spending more time on the site as things progress. Paul.
User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 20:01
Thanks Paul that is really useful stuff.
User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 14:13
Best wishes for Tuesday Paul
User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 15:55

One thing missing, Paul. You will be shot out of hospital as fast as possible (esp with New Year celebrations for medical staff coming up). You may feel fine, but you are not superman, and you are allowed to take it very easy for a while to allow your insides to heal properly. Add some box sets of back numbers of Startrek or similar to your shopping list.

Good luck!

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 16:42

Paul
Best wishes !! Bad timing yeh , but better out than in ( in our cases ! )
Chris

User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 20:00
Paul

Date for surgery is almost here, best wishes for the 29th Paul, as Tony has said no rush to do anything, I know your Wife will be reading this so she will be making sure you take it easy.

Rest, rest and more rest.

Under no circumstances should you try any PFEs until your Cateter is removed.

Only do what your body can cope with, it will let you know if you are trying too much.

Keep us posted

all the best

XX

Mo

User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 21:05
Thank you to everyone for your good wishes, advice and support it is very much appreciated. Although nervous I just want to get the operation done and the cancer gone. If I am not able, I am sure my wife will keep you all informed as to my progress. Happy New Year to everyone. Paul.
User
Posted 27 Dec 2015 at 21:19

Hi Paul,

Good Luck for Tuesday and as others have said, make sure to rest as much as possible.

Take Care.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 02:04

hi paul

just to add my twopenneth for tomorrow all the best with the op and what will follow

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 10:10

Hello Paul and Jayne

Just to wish you both all the best for tomorrow and a positive outcome from surgery.

Paul, you'll need to do all that you are told !! and Jayne- well you'll have the hard job of making sure he does just that !!

Good luck and Best Wishes.

Soon all be over and then you can start the road to recovery and the rest of your life.

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 10:24
Paul,

Wishing you well for tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Paul

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 16:45

Hi Paul

Just popped in to offer you my best wishes for a successful procedure and outcome tomorrow....

As others have already stated ....take things easy...follow all the instructions you are given post op....

Remember there is no 'normal' rate for your personal recovery, so try not to compare yours with others.

Luther

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 17:12
Thanks Luther. I am now on the ward just about to enjoy my first ever hospital meal. I think that is more nerve racking than the op! As soon as I feel up to it I will post to let everyone know how it went. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post good wishes and advice. Paul.
User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 17:29

Hospital food !! Wonderful. I think some people are so fussy ha. As a green grocers son I ate anything put in front of me and still do. I loved the hospital soup and my ham / tomato sandwich each day. Oh and endless cups of coffee. Oh and tinned peaches. I was in heaven
All the best
Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 19:26

Hi Paul,

I agree with Chris.  I've been in hospital four times in the last twelve months and have been very happy with all the food I've have at the Royal Berkshire Hospital.  A choice of at least six different meals and well prepared.  Has really cheered me up at times when I've felt low while I was in there.

Try and relax, I'm sure everything will go well tomorrow.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 19:30

Hope Op goes well. Don't do too much too soon. There are often some things that take rather longer to recover than hoped for, so patience is called for.

Good luck!

Barry
User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 20:52
Thanks guys. Food is actually very nice. Just settling in for night hoping I am first up for op tomorrow. Ward is nice and quiet so should get good night sleep. Will post tomorrow how it goes. Paul.
User
Posted 28 Dec 2015 at 20:55

Hi Paul.Good luck with your op,tomorrow .I had similar to you ,diagnosed Jan 2014 psa. 27. Gleason 3+4 had RP davinci june 2014. To be honest operation was a breeze but ,as everyone is telling you ,just be prepared to relax after and allow the recovery process to take its time.A bit of exercise and you will be on the road to recovery.All best wishes ,you will be fine .Chris

User
Posted 29 Dec 2015 at 23:59
Hope all went well. Thinking of you both x
User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 12:23
Hi everyone. Just a quick post to let you know I had my op as planned on Tuesday 29th. All went well and surgeon confident he got it all out. Surprisingly pain free, possibly due to keyhole surgery. I am at home now under strict instructions from wife to rest and recover. Having catheter removed next Thursday so will then have to start bladder retraining. Thanks again for all the messages of support and encouragement. I will keep you posted of my progress. Paul.
User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 12:32
Great news Paul, now relax and enjoy the pampering.

Here's to a good year.

Roy

User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 13:20
Paul,

That's great news. listen to your good lady. I didn't and ended up in bed for a day after thinking I could run before I could walk.

Look after yourself.

Paul

User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 14:36
Hi Paul,

Great News. Really pleased.

Look forward to a wonderful 2016.

Steve

User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 18:26
Paul

Pleased to hear it went well. Just because you are pain free does not mean you can go running marathons. Take it easy but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 19:32

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 20:45
Good news Paul

Jayne has been posting in between nervous moments. The fact that you had keyhole surgery does not change what has been done just the access method to all the same bits and pieces. So taking it easy is mandatory. Be particularly careful with lifting anything , reaching for things and in your endeavours to have a bowel movement. No straining if at first you don't succeed wait a while and if necessary take a mild laxative or stool softener like dulcolax. A lot of people find raising your feet on a little footstall or an upturned waste basket whilst sitting on the loo helps.

Im sure others will come up with more little snippets as you progress through your recovery

Happy New Year

xx

Mo

User
Posted 02 Jan 2016 at 10:08

Hi Paul

I had da vinci in oct 2013. so far it has been a success with clear test results. my stats were similar to yours though my psa was 4.3 on diagnosis. i had no symptoms or family history and only an annual blood test showed something happening inside. i was 6 weeks from diagnosis to op but what a long 6 weeks. i think you did the same in 4 weeks so waht a whirlwind for you

My thoughts from what i remember.

I expected internal pain from the op but didnt have anything. The only pain was getting out of bed from the incisions. As a regular gym user my doctor told me to increase fitness levels before the op so 3 trips a week went up to 5. good advice as i am sure my fitness was a big help in recovery. Only thing is i started thinking i was fitter than i was and tried to run before walking. so first week is definitely a case of total rest. you might feel good but your body has gone through so much. i watched films and slept most of the first week.

i set myself aims and started doing one or two 20 min walks in the second week. i had an aim to turn up for the monthly meeting of the local support group 2 weeks after the op. a relation drove me there. the members there were surprised to see me as they said they didnt think i would be able to attend so soon.

at the end of the third week i was driving locally and got to the gym!! i just did my pelvic exercises and some walking on a running machine but the big thing was able to drive and walk into the gym. i felt life was returning to normal.it was many months before i attempted to return a normal gym routine

after 6 weeks i started swimming which became my main activity. i was on full pads for the first 4 weeks. i expected this but it was very frustrating. sneezing, coughing etc all had an effect. then suddenly i found i could go onto very small pads. what a relief!! 2 weeks later  i realised i did not need any pads and since then have not used any. i am 99% dry. there is the occasional minor leak and it just happens for no reason.

over 2 years on and i feel great. i am working normally and my work is physical but i have no problems with it.Last July i started playing walking football which is so much fun. we have coaching from a qualified coach and then a game. i never thought at 60 that i would be going football training. our team are entering 2 national competitions this year and i am have made a new social network.

we are all different so take your time with your recovery  and keep us informed. 

User
Posted 02 Jan 2016 at 11:32

Hi john
That is a great story thanks for sharing

run long and prosper

User
Posted 02 Jan 2016 at 11:33

Just a warning note despite John250's very upbeat post - most car insurance policies will not cover you until at least 6 weeks post op and some even longer, my husband's insurer insisted on 12 weeks or a letter from the surgeon which would have been okay except the surgeon said 'I'm not writing to say you can drive - I haven't seen your driving". In the end, I think the GP cleared it at around 11 weeks but we had to email the letter to the insurer as proof.

The other thing (and this is only anecdotal) but the members on here who seem to be back at the pub/work/gym/DIY quicker than expected are often the same ones who struggle to regain full continence or who end up with a hernia within the first year or so. Do not trust your body - it will trick you into believing the op was less serious than it actually was :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 15:14
Hi everyone. I had my catheter removed yesterday. The nurse said I had exceptional bladder retention. I think I would prefer to be exceptional at something else but we cannot choose our talents I suppose. Leakage not as bad as I expected, mostly when I stand up or start moving. My first night seemed to be quite dry but I did have to get up at 4:00 to go to the toilet. Generally recovery seems to be going quite well but I am making an effort to not over do it. Got follow up appointment 11th Feb for biopsy results so fingers crossed for no nasty surprises.

Will keep you posted on progress and thanks again for support. Paul.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 15:25

Sounds like you are doing great
Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 15:38

Hi Paul,

Sounds to me like you are well on the way to making a good recovery regarding continence...

Still very early days, so you are doing the right thing in making an effort not to overdo things even though you may feel pretty good...

Hope your histology report in Feb is all good news too!

Luther

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 16:00

Having been there and got the T-Shirt , and learnt some lessons , like all the others , I would make your next target be to do nothing at all strenuous until the end of Jan !! Honestly !! Its the truth . Be bored and chill and don't overdo anything. And don't cycle.
Relax and mend ,. Repeat
Chris

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 17:27
Paul

Sounds like a promising start, hope it continues.

Thanks chris

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 18:27

Pleased this has all gone well for you Paul.

Neville

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 20:35
All going well. Onward and upward.

Paul

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 21:40
So pleased for you both. Sounds as though you are being sensible and I hope that things will continue to improve for you. All the best for the future and I hope that you will have good news in February.

Kevan

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 06:30

Well done Paul. Long may your recovery continue.

Best Wishes

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 18:45

reference lynne's reply of 2nd january she is quite right in her comments.

i contacted DVLA and my insurance company. Both said if you can do an emergency stop then you are ok to proceed. Also i had been with the insurance company a long time as a driving instructor and had gained advanced driving awards, so they knew i wouldn't take any risks. i had an arrangement that i would only drive locally. I did not drive every day and if i did it was only a maximum of about 5 miles. but i had no reaction and if i did  i would have stopped straightaway.I didnt undertake any long distance driving for months.

i did very little in the gym for a number of months, apart from pfes and walking on a jogger. i did not want to ruin the good work that had been done in the op.

apart from getting out of bed in the first week i did not feel any pain. after the second week i was walking and felt great. But the body has to heal and you have to respect what has happened. so it best to be cautious and take one step at a time

my overall recovery has been good and after about 6/7 months i was back to normal