I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about nothing?

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 08:02

Hope you don't mind, but I'm a real hypochondriac, and my wife is into 'mindfulness' so really doesn't see the sense in wasting time talking about what might not be. Very sensible, but not a skill I have! So I hope I can talk about my worries here instead of disturbing her equilibrium?

A few weeks ago I visited my GP to talk about urination frequency (greatly increased) and related problems. After a DRE he declared 'Your prostate is a good size'. I asked whether 'good size' meant 'big' or 'healthy', and he said 'big'. PSA followed and was only 5.6, which for a 74 year old male seems not at all bad?

Before we had chance to plan the next step, I got a sharp lower back pain, and associated symptoms which GP says is a herniated disk. So prostate investigation is on hold until this problem clears. Christmas will be spent not knowing what is going on, and nobody to share my worries with. 

Not much to go on is it? But like I say, I'm a born worrier. So hope you don't mind me unburdening here. I suppose my source of worry is that the lower back pain is not a herniated disk, but is related to the prostate issue. Silly really I know. I just have to wait and see.

If you've got this far. Thanks for listening! 

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:18

Hi Papa
At the very worse end of the spectrum , yes you could have serious prostate cancer that has already spread to your bones . But this VERY VERY unlikely indeed . It sounds to me that you could be quite normal for a 74 year old with BPH , where the prostate swells with age naturally and makes weeing more difficult. He may try you on a tablet that relaxes the prostate to ease these symptoms.
But I would get through Christmas and then pursue the matter with your doctor again. There is no reason at all why your investigation should stop because of your back pain .
Enjoy Christmas and don't worry -- easy for me to say I know , but just deal with it in a couple of weeks . Chillax as my daughter says !!
Chris

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:19
Papa, welcome to this forum which is a good place to chat about your fears or anything prostate related.

Very early days for you both in terms of tests and potential diagnosis and also in having enough information for any medical reassurance or otherwise.

Firstly I would say as a confessed hypochondriac 'stay off Google searches' they are far too generic and would frighten a saint to death!

Secondly, if you feel happier at this stage dealing with things yourself that's fine, a few men on here have regretted doing that as things moved on so I'm sure at least one will post back to you on that bit.

Thirdly, an enlarged prostate is quite common as a man enters his 70s and there are a number of things that can cause that which are not prostate cancer. Your PSA at 5.4 is elevated for a man of 74 but that can also be caused by other conditions or factors.

If the sharp back pain has been positively confirmed as a hernia then you probably need to work on that basis just now. I am not entirely sure why that would stop any further diagnostics on your prostate symptoms though. Frequent peeing and an enlarged prostate could be symptoms of an infection like prostatitis, that can also give lower back pain a urine infection can do that too.

It is very hard for a woman to put herself in your shoes but if it were me I would return to my GP after the holidays and ask for a further discussion. Ask about infections, did the prostate feel smooth and large or lumpy and large? Let him know you are concerned and would feel happier with a more conclusive plan of action ahead.

Meantime try and just enjoy your Christmas.

If you are travelling to see friends or family and this goes for all of you out there, travel safely.

My very best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 17:21

Hello Papa and welcome to the site.

There isn't a happy medium between hypochondria and mindfulness is there, although two people in a relationship sharing those qualities will balance each other out.

So for the time being you'll have to wait it out, but by being on here you do at least have folk who listen and to whom you can talk, whether you have Prostate Cancer or not.

Did your GP do a test of your urine to rule out infection? If not go back and ask for one.

PSA of 5.6 isn't massively high but then does show something needs investigating, as does a large prostate.

I don't understand either why checking out the PCa should be put on hold for the time being due to your back. Perhaps somebody else will point out why testing is currently on hold. Unless the GP is saying the stress of the back is raising the PSA and giving a false reading, as would an infection.

If indeed it is an infection he would surely need to be giving you antibiotics?

Post away on any fears you may have. IF we can chat to you and help you overcome them then that's good, but I have to say that worrying about it all, when it may not be necessary, will put a dampener on the festive cheer that your wife and family will want to share.

As Chris says, try and put it to the back of your mind until such time as you can go and "bully" the GP into pulling his finger out

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:18

Hi Papa
At the very worse end of the spectrum , yes you could have serious prostate cancer that has already spread to your bones . But this VERY VERY unlikely indeed . It sounds to me that you could be quite normal for a 74 year old with BPH , where the prostate swells with age naturally and makes weeing more difficult. He may try you on a tablet that relaxes the prostate to ease these symptoms.
But I would get through Christmas and then pursue the matter with your doctor again. There is no reason at all why your investigation should stop because of your back pain .
Enjoy Christmas and don't worry -- easy for me to say I know , but just deal with it in a couple of weeks . Chillax as my daughter says !!
Chris

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:19
Papa, welcome to this forum which is a good place to chat about your fears or anything prostate related.

Very early days for you both in terms of tests and potential diagnosis and also in having enough information for any medical reassurance or otherwise.

Firstly I would say as a confessed hypochondriac 'stay off Google searches' they are far too generic and would frighten a saint to death!

Secondly, if you feel happier at this stage dealing with things yourself that's fine, a few men on here have regretted doing that as things moved on so I'm sure at least one will post back to you on that bit.

Thirdly, an enlarged prostate is quite common as a man enters his 70s and there are a number of things that can cause that which are not prostate cancer. Your PSA at 5.4 is elevated for a man of 74 but that can also be caused by other conditions or factors.

If the sharp back pain has been positively confirmed as a hernia then you probably need to work on that basis just now. I am not entirely sure why that would stop any further diagnostics on your prostate symptoms though. Frequent peeing and an enlarged prostate could be symptoms of an infection like prostatitis, that can also give lower back pain a urine infection can do that too.

It is very hard for a woman to put herself in your shoes but if it were me I would return to my GP after the holidays and ask for a further discussion. Ask about infections, did the prostate feel smooth and large or lumpy and large? Let him know you are concerned and would feel happier with a more conclusive plan of action ahead.

Meantime try and just enjoy your Christmas.

If you are travelling to see friends or family and this goes for all of you out there, travel safely.

My very best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:21
Ha, see in the time it took me to post my lovely friend Chris has also replied.

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 17:21

Hello Papa and welcome to the site.

There isn't a happy medium between hypochondria and mindfulness is there, although two people in a relationship sharing those qualities will balance each other out.

So for the time being you'll have to wait it out, but by being on here you do at least have folk who listen and to whom you can talk, whether you have Prostate Cancer or not.

Did your GP do a test of your urine to rule out infection? If not go back and ask for one.

PSA of 5.6 isn't massively high but then does show something needs investigating, as does a large prostate.

I don't understand either why checking out the PCa should be put on hold for the time being due to your back. Perhaps somebody else will point out why testing is currently on hold. Unless the GP is saying the stress of the back is raising the PSA and giving a false reading, as would an infection.

If indeed it is an infection he would surely need to be giving you antibiotics?

Post away on any fears you may have. IF we can chat to you and help you overcome them then that's good, but I have to say that worrying about it all, when it may not be necessary, will put a dampener on the festive cheer that your wife and family will want to share.

As Chris says, try and put it to the back of your mind until such time as you can go and "bully" the GP into pulling his finger out

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 18:41

Oh wow. Thanks everyone. It really helps not to have to bottle up these worries until after Christmas.

Johsan, my GP did a urine test and it was clear. I don't think he was impressed that I had already done a urine test (told you I am a hypochondriac!) A few years ago I was getting a series of UTIs, so I got into the habit of keeping some testing strips at home.

My wife's mindfulness skills do help balance my hypochondria, at least to keep things in perspective. But this was an occasion when I felt I really wanted to lay out my worries and examine them.

Mo, in the back of my mind, I'm not convinced about the herniated disk, but I accept that my GP has been at it a lot longer than I have. Two things puzzle me about this diagnosis though. It's the second time it has happened in a couple of months. The first time it cleared up spontaneously after a few of days. But on neither occasion was the mobility of my back in any way restricted. I still had a full range of movement.

Thanks for your comments too Chris. Perhaps the fact that my GP has put the investigation on hold is an indication that he thinks the probability of PC is low? I'll hold on to that thought until I see him after Christmas anyway.

Thank you all so much for giving me a chance to talk this through.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 19:22
Hi Papa

Good advice already. The PSA can definitely be related to the enlarged prostate. Your GP hasn't said it was lumpy which is good.

When I was undergoing tests the urologist told me he has had a man sat in front of him with a PSA of 400 who did not have Prostate Cancer.

He also told me, which I wouldn't know, that bone pain associated with cancer is a deep pain/ache.

As you will know you will now start to associate every ache, pain and twinge with the possibility of being cancer related. There should be a treatment room for the paranoia lol. I have the t-shirt.

Why don't you make an appointment to see your GP again in January, try and shelve your concern until that appt and focus on something you can control (probably sounding like your wife now).

Try and have a great Xmas

Bri

Edited by member 22 Dec 2015 at 19:23  | Reason: Not specified