I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Knee pain with Zoladex

User
Posted 29 Dec 2015 at 16:44

I have just finished my 2 years of Zoladex following Brachytherapy + 5 weeks rad. PSA down from 20 to zero. 

Just the last few days very bad knee pain. This is a delicate matter but it seems to be related to the acute constipation

which I also suffer from. Can this be the case: eg constipation puts pressure on the sciatic nerve and that goes via the knee?

These are new things to add the usual fatigue, emotional see-saw etc etc associated with this ghastly drug.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2015 at 22:54

Hi Ottok

Regrettably I'm afraid I can't really help with an answer to your constipation / sciatica problem , I had sciatica in my late teens which led to my having surgery , so I can sympathise with you and I certainly wouldn't rule out there being a link between the two things . I am 20 months in to my 3 years on the dreaded zoladex and have all manner of side effects although constipation certainly isn't one of them , my bowels still haven't recovered from the radiotherapy which may have been worse in my case as my prostate had already been removed which meant a less focused beam and hence more collateral damage .

I really just wanted to show some solidarity and hope that now that you have finished the zoladex things will gradually return to some sort of normality and the psa will stay firmly at zero.

very best wishes

Nigel

User
Posted 30 Dec 2015 at 03:44

Thanks Nigel. Despite a focused beam I also suspect bowel damage and (somehow) the constipation is related. Anyway things are certainly not right down there. I have completely stopped eating bread and any kind of red meat. That seems to help the bowel. And I am going to have a colorectal  screening.

You have my sympathy for all the side effects. Courage mon brave.       

User
Posted 30 Dec 2015 at 12:41

Hello OttoK and welcome.

I am not qualified to comment re: cancer/treatment and constipation but I do know that I have arthritis in most of my joints and when it really flares constipation is a real problem and I'm not sure which comes first or causes the other.

I am just really saying I suppose that I wouldn't rule it out. Have you been given anything for the constipation, such as Fybogel?

Hope you get it sorted

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 May 2016 at 04:24

OK. Some time since I posted.

Stopped Zoladex 5 months ago and PSA not (yet?) gone up. A new symptom on top of the back pain and knee pain I reported before. Legs are swollen and I have painful thighs. When I touch them it feels like bruising. Walking is not too good: bad back knees and now thighs.

Any tips gratefully received. 

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 31 May 2016 at 08:19
Otto,

Good to hear from you but sorry you're in this way with pain.

2 years ago I went to my GP regarding sciatic pain. I've always suffered with it and understand the agony it can cause. In fact driving long distances necessitates the need for frequent 'exercise' stops. Since being on Zoladex though I have not noticed any change to the symptoms. But as we've said before Zoladex is a powerful drug and I have found the muscle aching and tiredness a problem from time to time but less so now.

Last year a few months after RT , both my legs starting swelling and walking was very difficult. My GP signed me off work for 2 weeks. It didn't help. I then had acupuncture which sorted the problem out. Apparently it was ' blockage of energy to the blood after RT ' . Whether you want to believe in it or not ( I'm not sure about it really ) but desperate times called for anything to help me , I was cured within seconds and could walk normally. I've had no problems since.

I also assume that you've been to a physiotherapist ? When I went she made me alter the position of the steering wheel ,which made an enormous improvement for driving, the angles were apparently wrong for me. Driving is far easier now.

It was that appointment which led to my dx of PCa . I simply asked for a Psa test to rule out cancer - not rule it in !

When I had both the MRI and Nuc Med bone scan, damage to my hip around the sciatic nerve was showing which explained my problem.

Anyway I hope you can sort this out, ongoing pain is not pleasant.

Good luck ,

John

User
Posted 01 Jun 2016 at 14:56

Thanks John, that's very helpful. I have been reading symptoms of metastasis  and it includes swollen legs and back, hip and thigh pain, all of which I now have. But then you read about side effect of Zoladex and its the same! I have my next appointment soon, so not yet in panic mode. Yes I might try some ageing hippy remedies, good idea.