Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slings, Sphincters and other Accessories

User
Posted 04 Jan 2016 at 17:14

Artificial urinary sphincter

A recent chat with my consultant resulted in her proposing that I be fitted with an artificial sphincter. As my cup does, literally flow over, this seemed like a good idea however, a quick look at this site revealed the following:

"One study found that over a quarter (27 per cent) of men with an artificial urinary sphincter no longer needed to use incontinence pads and over half (52 per cent) needed only one pad a day".

and

"Like all operations, there are risks in having an artificial urinary sphincter, such as infection or parts of the device breaking. Some men need another operation to fix problems. Around one in 10 men (10 per cent) may need their device taken out".

Amongst the PC community there must be some who have had this procedure carried out. What are your experiences - good and bad - that you feel would assist me in deciding if I should go ahead (if the local board decide that they're willing to invest £5K in me)?

User
Posted 04 Jan 2016 at 20:43

Hi Toad, put sling, artificial or AUS in to the search box and this should take you to the threads of others that have had the op. Alternatively, search the member list for TonyPW

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Jan 2016 at 22:50

Hi

My AUS was fitted in November last year and activated in December.  A diary of my experiences with it can be found here:

AUS Diary

I've found that in practice, I still need a very light pad and at the end of each day, it is hardly even damp.  However there is just enough of a weep under some circumstances (e.g. sitting on a hard chair) to produce a small damp patch on trousers.  I'll keep trying to see if it beds in a bit more and closes up completely.

The AUS was put in privately, not NHS, and the hospital bent over backwards to make sure any risk of infection was minimised.  I had absolutely no sign of any infection.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2016 at 01:01

Hi Guys,

Please don't consider this a flipant posting.

I have not yet arrived at the point where any of my Consultants are suggesting I have a significant incontinence problem, let alone doing anything about it, least wise nothing more serious than perscribing Tamsulosin.

However like many I am having to check my trousers to make sure I haven't leaked, and I am drinking neat spirits rather than beer, so I don't spend all night in the toilet.

In the summer, having lost a little weight, and dropped a few inches off my waist, I started buying myself new trousers, new jeans, chino's and linen were my favourite.

I bought one pair from Marks and Spencers, that were labelled 'Showerproof', I thought this a little over the top, my hillwalking days are behind me, and M&S are not usually thought of as ourtdoor action clothing.

I tend to have trouble urinating especially after a pint, the flow is erratic, a lot of stopping and starting, and if I am not careful, half of it runs back round my bell end and dribbles down my pants.  So if I am wearing Jeans or Chino's the material soaks up the urine as though my trousers were made of blotting paper, and I am left with a big damp patch around the groin.

HOWEVER, with the M&S 'showerproof' chino's, they repell all liquids, so I feel my legs getting wet as the drips dribble down bouncing off the showerproof trousers, and at worst I end up with wet socks, but I can walk out of the Gents back into the bar confident that I haven't got a wet patch around my groin.

So for those of you with similar issues, keep your eye out for 'showerproof trousers', they can save you a lot of embarrasment.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2016 at 01:41

hi dav
just read your profile its been one heck of a 8year journey which is alot more then you where first told, my probs are not as bad as yours but then again I am tea total, but I always carry a small can of body spray in case of such accidents to help mask any odours, not tried the m&s trousers but will have a look see.
regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 05 Jan 2016 at 11:12

Hi Nidge,

Thanks mate, yes a fun packed 8 year journey, but the good thing is with Gleason 9, T3 etc I was initially looking at a 3 - 5 year prognosis, but I am still here 8 years on, and what is simultaneously exciting and frightening is I am coming of HT this year, so it will be fun to see how the testosterone fires up again, and of course I shall keep a close watch on the PSA front.

But best of all is that in the meantime I have been blessed with grandchildren, and I get to do childminding, a really nice chapter to add to my life story, so I am glad the initial prognosis was wrong.

My first lot of RT left me pretty much continent, but the consultants emphasised that having a further bout of salvage RT meant even worse odds, so I suppose I should be grateful that I am only getting the occasional wet trouser moment.

I didn't buy the 'showerproof' trousers with incontinence in mind, I bought them because they fitted and looked OK, I didn't know they were showerproof untill I looked at the label, and it was only when I got damp socks that I realised what a godsend they were, so for those who have similar problems the trousers are worth looking out for.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2016 at 15:57

Tony,

Thanks. As one always does, I posted before searching and have subsequently found your comprehensive record - which told me all (and perhaps more!) that I needed to know.