Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Husbands diagnosis

User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 20:22

Great news and outcome! Well done to both of you.

User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 22:51
Really pleased to read your latest update, long may it continue!

Lesley xx

User
Posted 25 Feb 2019 at 17:35
Well it’s been a long time since last post but hubby been quite well apart from last year my husband suffered a heart attack followed by caradic arrest wasn’t feeling well that morning so took him straight to hospital for a check as we got to A& E that’s when it happened sp we were in the right place at the right time and they saved his life so from July last year to now he’s never felt as good they put him a stent in he said he feels like a new man he tried to put his prostrate cancer behind him had a PSA test done when he came out of hospital which was 0.9 then had another one done in January and it’s shot up to 2,2 so now we worried about the big hike up hospital are going to repeat the test in 4 months instead of six to see what it is then we just hoping it’s a blip from the trauma he sustained as he doesn’t feel unwell or in any pain at all I know it’s a long shot but has anyone felt well and psa shot up just worried

Yorkshire lass

User
Posted 25 Feb 2019 at 18:32
My surgery was nearly 4 yrs ago. I feel totally normal I guess and everything working. My psa continues to double every 12 weeks and is now over 82. And I have a really busy job , painted the outside of house last few days etc etc ...... but something growing within :-((

But yeh you can feel fine with psa rise

User
Posted 25 Feb 2019 at 18:46
Hi Yorkshire lass,

do they test his testosterone when his PSA is checked? If not, try to get that added to the next blood test as it helps to show what might be going on.

If he is still on Prostap, his testosterone should be at 0.69 or below - this is called castrate level. If his testosterone is above that point, the HT isn't working very well and they may try a different one or perhaps add Casodex (bicalutimide) to disguise the extra testosterone that is floating around. The other reason that testosterone might rise (temporarily) is if the last Prostap injection was from an off batch, was injected wrongly, stored incorrectly or the wrong dose given (it has been known for a nurse to accidentally give the one month dose rather than 3 month dose) - the hospital probably wants to wait for that next PSA test just to confirm that it wasn't a one-off blip.

If the testosterone is below 0.69 and the PSA is rising, that means the cancer has learnt to live without testosterone in which case they will probably suggest a different hormone and/or perhaps chemo again.

Great to know that he is feeling so full of beans after such a scare last year.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Feb 2019 at 18:52
Thank you Lyn for reply no he never has had the testosterone test just psa we will mention this in May on his next check thank you so much
User
Posted 25 Feb 2019 at 20:51
Do you get a print out of his results from the GP practice? It might be that it is done but not mentioned? Or ask the nurse to add it to the next bloods taken for PSA - once you get to the appointment it will be too late to add it.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:08
Just wondering if anyone has got or had travel insurance for metastatic prostrate cancer how much paid as we’ve gone into it and been quoted for a single trip in between £500 - £700 and for a multi trip £1500 couldn’t believe it if it wasn’t metastatic then it would be quite a lot less

We actually been on holiday without thinking about extra insurance but it was someone’s friend in family that had a bad fall while on holiday with prostrate cancer that had gone into his bones and because he didn’t tell them of his cancer and taking extra ins out it was voided so when you claim for medical assistance they must be able to see you’re medical records

Yorkshire Lass

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:15

Depends where you are going - cover for the USA is a lot more than for the rest of the world. You also need to shop around - Macmillan has a section on their website listing companies that are particularly good at offering travel insurance for people with cancer. We have stuck with Insurewith ever since John was first diagnosed.

There is also something about the way some people answer the questions that seems to lead to higher quotes. For the time being, your OH has metastatic cancer that is controlled just with hormones and you are on 6 monthly appointments, I think ... that should bring the price down a bit in comparison to someone that answers that they are are on palliative care or frequent appointments. 

Edited by member 01 Apr 2019 at 17:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:17

This thread about travel insurance may be of interest:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t16218-Does-PCa-affect-travel-insurance

It is absolutely essential to tell your insurer about the condition.

Edited by member 01 Apr 2019 at 17:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:39
Yes Lyn you right about how they ask questions they ask if it’s spread to other parts so you answer yes to that but they don’t ask if you on hormone injections on that question but if you answer it’s not spread they then ask if you on hormone injections it just doesn’t make any sense to us it’s as though they think you terminal so thank you will try that insurers

Yorkshire Lass

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 19:06
I think it’s essential not to do it online. I’ve used Boots Travel for a few years now and very reasonable. This year however because of changes to my health I was asked to phone them directly. I did this and it was all ok. Most of all the conversation is recorded and the fee agreed , and you haven’t told them any lies. Even so , any form of insurance is nigh on legalised extortion and they will always do anything they can to wriggle out of paying you fair and square. My dad recently missed a holiday due to a change in health. He was insured but they wanted a letter from the airline to say he hadn’t flown , a letter from the doctor and a letter from the consultant to confirm the change etc. The flight was £350. He paid £100 for the letters. The insurance company gave him £100. You do the maths lol. You are best just not to travel abroad and feed the bu**ers £600 , than to go and get ill and be stung. I’m soon to be diagnosed advanced I expect so am having a last cruise and then it will be UK only I guess.