I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TRUS Biopsy results by post

User
Posted 05 Jan 2016 at 22:20
Hi all, still waiting for biopsy results (not many finger nails left I'm afraid) but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of receiving their results through the post rather than during a face to face meeting.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2016 at 03:26
Our hospital does it by phone its the waiting for any results that is tough

Regards

Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 06 Jan 2016 at 06:39

Trevol any results we were expecting would be given by the consultant or at worst by a GP or telephone and I would never expect to receive them by post.

Have you been told to expect them like this or are you assuming this is how they are sent?

You were told to expect results in about three weeks. Well we have had the Christmas mail holding post up but it should be back to normal by now so if it was me I would be chasing them up.

Could you not telephone the consultant's secretary and explain that they haven't arrived and ask what they are. For all you know they could have been lost in the post.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jan 2016 at 15:59
Trevol

I once made the mistake of saying nobody would every get a phone call with results and by post seems even more unempathetic, however the Man I said that to lived in the Scotish Islands and getting to the consultant meant an extensive travel plan. I won't make that mistake again. So as Sandra says, taking xmas post into account, lots of people including histology and pathology teams having holidays, try calling it is not considered impatient just shows you are naturally worried.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 06 Jan 2016 at 16:04

When John went for his biopsy he was told that he would get another appointment through the post OR if everything was okay, they would just write to the GP. As it happened, an appointment letter arrived inviting him for an MRI scan so we knew the biopsy had been positive just from that. A couple of days later, the letter arrived with the date of the follow up appointment. So in our area, the fact that you even GET a follow up appointment is the bad news :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 00:24
Hi all and thank you all for your comments and moral support. I received my results by phone today and I must admit I do now feel like an absolute fraud. I've read many posts on this fantastic website and I'm gratified that there's always a supportive voice no matter what the circumstances. Why? I hear you asking, do I feel a fraud. Well, I've learned today that my PSA is 4.020 (on the upper scale of normal for my age but ok) and that from an 11 core TRUS random biopsy there is no trace of cancer. Whilst I was obviously overjoyed at the news I did ask about the chances of a false negative and I was ensured that, given my circumstances, the chances of a false negative was extremely low to nil. This leaves me with mixed emotions, I firmly believed I had cancer and I have had nearly 9 weeks to accept that this is how it was. It was at this time that I joined this forum and became, with a certain amount of pride, a member of the global family. I now have to accept that I don't have cancer and I somehow feel that I no longer belong to this fantastic group. Be that as it may, the fight still remains and that only makes me more determined to further the cause and do what I can for my brothers who are having to face the real threat of prostate cancer on a daily basis. I will be offering my services wherever And whenever I can. Best wishes to every member of the group and a huge thank you to all that given me support and best wishes over the last 3 months or so.
User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 01:36

Oh Trevol, that's wonderful news - congratulations. But now you know and understand how fragile our health and wellbeing can be and as you say, your PSA is a tad on the high side so I hope you were advised that you should get a PSA test every year so that any rise can be investigated quickly. We do have other members here who don't actually have PCa but are seen as high risk or are in that no-man's land of rising PSA and negative biopsy so you are not alone

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 03:21

Great news trevor
Hope you stay with us keep spreading the word
Your story will help.others who are in the same situation to realise that until all the results are in nothing is fully proven
Regards
Nidge

Edited by member 07 Jan 2016 at 05:34  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 08:08

Great news Trevol. Keep spreading the word

I would like to pick up.on the point of results by phone call. I was told via telephone the results of my biopsy ie I had cancer. I was also told the results of my bone scan and MRI by telephone

Bri

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 08:50

Yay!! really pleased for you Trevol and please don't feel that you area fraud, and in any case how please am I that you can feel like that given the result.

PSA of 4.020 is slightly higher than average but it does at least give you a base line for further tests (hopefully annually)

Please don't be dissuaded by the GP to leave it, if you've got surgery like that.

Now get on with the rest of your life. Stay with us please, you're still part of the "family"

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 12:14
Ah Trevol

there you go no news in your case was fab news whether by phone, letter or in person.

You are still part of this forum no matter what and please don't wait for any possible symptoms to present, with even a slightly elevated PSA you could still be at risk. So a yearly check up is always a good precautionary step. I hope your GP has already suggested this.

Wonderful to see some happy news

xx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 12:38

Nice one Trevol!

Such a relief for you I'm sure...

Follow the advice given by the previous posters regarding regular PSA tests etc.

Keep spreading the word and make others aware.

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 12:51

Having just returned from my first hospital appointment of 2016 it is so pleasing to read a post like this.

My best wishes to you, keep having the tests.

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 15:05

I love positive news and am thrilled for you. It's hard to read people suffering and advancing slowly but surely. I wish you the best
Chris

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 17:15
Thanks again to everyone for your good wishes. I feel very humbled and I will certainly remain with the community. Thanks again. Trevor
User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 19:45
What a great start to the new year for you Trevor. It's wonderful to hear such good news from someone, what an encouragement.

All the best,

Arthur

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 19:57

Congratulations Trevol, so nice to hear good results these days. As the others say keep an eye on the PSA levels, harass your doc each year just to monitor if they rise or not.

There is no way that you should be thinking that you are a fraud as up until the results your mind was working just as it would if the result had gone the other way.

One of the best ways to help with PCa sufferers is to spread the word about getting health checks , at any age, it is easy to get PSA test done with any other well being blood test, it will save the NHS money in the long run.

There are lots of men that ignore signs, one of which is frequent trips to the loo at night although it is only an indicator and not confirmation as it could still be caused by enlarged prostate or prostatis. It is a point at which tests can be made, this is what happened to me and after 18 months of 8/9 trips each night I eventually went to GP.

Stay tuned in to this site my friend as information is good and knowledge is powerful. Just reading other folks stories and being able to relate to them and passing it on to others in their time of need will be more than helpful.

Hope you stay well

Kind regards, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 08 Jan 2016 at 00:13

Hi Trevol,

Great news, but as suggested an annual check-up would be sensible.

As to the way results are communicated, I would much prefer a call from my GP about these with an invitation to discuss further with him/her if I wished, rather than just being asked to make an appointment. The earlier the results are advised the shorter the agony of contemplation.

Barry