Show search

Notification

Error

Help on high Blood Results

User
Posted 11 Jan 2016 at 23:38
Hello all

I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I've today had my blood results and whilst my psa is ok I have two readings which are fairly high.

They are

Lymphocytes reading has increased since July and now reads 4.4 (should be 1.5 to 4.0)

Platelets reading has generally been above the norm of 140 -400 and is currently reading 437.

My Oncologist says there's nothing to worry about but I do worry a bit about the continuing rises. My next tests are in March which seems a long way off.

I have read up about the meanings of the headings but wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience what the significance is.

Paul

Edited by member 12 Jan 2016 at 07:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jan 2016 at 09:18

Can't help you Paul but see you haven't had a reply since last night's posting so am bumping just in case it gets missed. Have you thought of ringing the nurses on site.

They may well say what the Oncologist did and that might reassure you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Jan 2016 at 13:57
Hi Paul

I just caught up on your profile, now that you have the tummy issues under control you seem to be doing really well apart from the slightly slower running times?! I am still well impressed at those considering your circumstances.

As far as your blood counts are concerned, the platelets are actually within the generally accepted OK values which are now 150 - 450 for an adult male. The issue when the count goes much higher than 450 is that the blood gets more sticky, so great for healing from cuts but not so good for keeping flowing through your body.In extreme cases it can cause clotting issues.

The lymphocyte measure is a little higher than standard but only a little, it is also only one of several counts in the white blood cell grouping. Your Onco is happy with them for now and if there were any concerns at all about either they would have suggested an earlier than March repeat.

I know it is always a bit alarming when any result is too high or too low but these things can change so quickly. Look how rapidly your ALT changed last year.

If the levels are static or higher next time, express your concern to your Onco and ask him/her for a more detailed explanation on what that means.

My best wishes as always

xx

Mo

User
Posted 12 Jan 2016 at 23:50

Johan, thanx for the bump, I suppose I should have waited till after midnight.

Mo Thankyou for your reassurance. 😊
I'm a bit analytical at times and look through all the blood counts. At my last Onco consultation I was able to get a copy of the blood results early so I could raise these two concerns with her.
I'll certainly keep an eye on them. In the meantime perhaps I'll put it down to too much Christmas pud etc and hopefully as I get back on my diet it'll improve. At least my psa was pretty steady at .07.

Thanks also for the encouragement with my running, I'm just doing 10K's at the moment but quite slowly in the hope that I can be in the top 3 of my age group when I run my next race in Meltham (mind you there were only 3 70+ runners last year). Onco says keep running so I am.
I read all your posts and don't know how you find the time to answer everyone with such thought and obvious research.
Thanks ever so. Xx
Paul