I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Comparing Treatments

User
Posted 12 Jan 2016 at 01:53

Men diagnosed with Prostate Cancer or  family members on their behalf, sometimes ask "What is the best treatment for Prostate Cancer?"  What they should really be asking "Is what is the best treatment for me" and having discussed the options open to them and any recommendation with their consultant(s) they should  make their own treatment decision, having considered all the implications of treatment and potential side effects in both the short and long term.  Even then it is not possible to know in advance how well it will work for them in terms of eradicating or slowing PCa and the extent and severity of side effects.

The following link compares  results for most of the aggressive ways of treating low, intermediate and high stage PCa.  Click on one of these and scroll down and click on those treatments you want to see on the chart, individually or by adding another or for all the treatments together.  It does not mean that because a particular one compares well with another overall, that it will be better for an individual.  It must also be remembered that results are based on treatment given often years previously and that treatments will have since improved which in future should give better results. Worth also having a look round this Prostate Cancer Results Study Group website.

http://www.pctrf.org/comparing-treatments/

Edited by member 14 Jan 2016 at 13:25  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 17 Jan 2016 at 12:59

Thanks Manwith

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jan 2016 at 13:17

I can never understand the graphs to be honest. Maybe I'm stupid but they just look complicated

User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 12:04

That is even more confusing as I fall into all 3 Groups

PSA 6.2 - Low Risk

Gleason 7 - Intermediate Risk

T3a - High Risk

User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 12:52

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

That is even more confusing as I fall into all 3 Groups

PSA 6.2 - Low Risk

Gleason 7 - Intermediate Risk

T3a - High Risk

So do I Pablito..... 

Before surgery........ PSA 9.86 ( low risk ) Gleason 3+3 = 6 ( low risk ) Clinical Stage T2b ( intermediate risk )

After surgery ......... Gleason uprated to 3+4 = 7 ( intermediate risk ) Pathological Stage p T2c ( High risk )

I assume the treatment comparison graph is to aid men who are still deciding on what treatment path they may wish to take?

I have to say that my treatment decision would still be the same even if I saw this graph beforehand.

Luther

User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 19:53

Low. intermediate and high risk is shown here :-
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/prostate-cancer/treatment/types/risk-factors-in-localised-prostate-cancer

Perhaps the NICE guidelines make this clearer  under stratification :- https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg175/chapter/recommendations

There is also some other interesting stuff there.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2016 at 21:32  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 21:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I can never understand the graphs to be honest. Maybe I'm stupid but they just look complicated

Well, I must be stupid too Chris?  Graphs don't do it for me.  Actually, I don't think either of us are stupid.  Well I don't think you are, you arte far too eloquent.  Part of my work involves dealing with people, some of whom can not grasp or comprehend graphs or tables or general paperwork, yet they run very successfull businesses.  They're not stupid, they just do not have an aptitude for such aids.

What, and I am guessing here because I have not looked at all the links, I am suspecting that none of these will cater for mindset?

At my diagnosis I wanted the gland and the cancer out, OUT OUT OUT.  My head could not countenance the thought that I, my body might still entertain a cancer within me, host it, carry it about, no way.  If I had not been offered robotic surgery, I would have gone open, or done it myself with a Stanley knife, somehow.  I have dispensed with numerous warts and skin growths that way.  I do not suggest anyone else does this.  But I have always played about, experimented, with treatments and continue it do so with my cancer treatments, and it's worked for me.

You aren't stupid Chris, some people like to over complicate things, like information to make them appear smart or flash, or add credibility.  It's mostly gattox.  With a B and an O and an L at the front.  Not "Bolgattox"!  FFS.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

dave

Edited by member 18 Jan 2016 at 21:42  | Reason: Not specified

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.