Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

so where do you go from here

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 16:04
Had my last session of chemo was expecting some sort of advice

All i was given where the steriods i have been taking leading upto a chemo session

So i asked why have i been given these as this is my last dose

Nurse ssid this is what we have been told to issue

Have made a call to oncos secretary to find answers i await a response

Onco said tuesday see u in 6weeks to discuss how PSA is going then every 3months

Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 18:29

Hey Nidge
Congratulations for getting through the Chemo. No mean feat.

From what I read (I'm still only on the tablets and quarterly HT jabs) your journey from now on should continue with low psa for years shouldn't it? I suppose it depends how your psa goes as to whether you go onto HT.

I know there's others who have better experience than I and that they will advise you.

Best of luck with you life from here on and I hope you get back on the road soon

Paul

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 18:33

Nidge
I just remembered that I was on steroids for a bit with abiraterone. When I stopped the abbi the Onco told be to continue with the steroids for a while but on reducing doses until my prescrition rad out.

Paul

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 19:03
Hi paul am on 3monthly HT jabs already

Thats the problem not been told what to do

run long and prosper

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 19:51
Hi Nidge

After my last chemo I had the daily steroids for another 3 weeks and that was it.

You are already having HT, mine started afterwards but when that ended all I was on was zoladex and Biclutamide ( which they stopped last month as Psa has risen).

Basically you are on your own now apart from 3 monthly blood tests. A girl at my work who had cervical Cancer but then in remission said she found it mentally harder once treatment stopped as the routine of being with a doc of some sort regularly felt like they were doing something but afterwards it is lonely and there is no one to tell you you are doing ok!

I felt the same and had I guess depression at that time that kept me off work for a while.

Hope the PSA keeps falling

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 19:58
Well i think i realised that i will not have a lot of hospital support but didnt want to admit it

Thankfully i you lot to keep me going

My psa has gone up slightly

Cycle 2 was 0.015

Cycle 4 was 0.04

Cycle 6 is 0.03

run long and prosper

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 20:13

Hi Nidge,

I am at a different point to you on the PCa journey, but know just what you mean.

A couple of years ago when my PSA started rising again, I saw my Consultant's houseman for a regular 6 monthly check and his response was we will put you on HT, just that, no need for MRI scans etc because they had no intention of offering any treatment other than HT.

I wondered how they knew what they were doing as the only Biopsy/MRI etc was over 6 years old and I had had radiotherapy in the meantime.

So I went back to query this and was offerred salvage HDR brachytherapy, then because they intended to do something it was the full range of tests, MRI and bone scans twice etc.

But now all that treatment is over I am back on the shelf, 6 monthly PSA tests and seeing what happens, in a way it feels that I am not so important to them any more, but equally I should feel grateful, because they have done all they can for me and there is no point wasting precious NHS resources merely to see what is going on when they have no intention of doing anything any time soon.

With luck it may be some time before they get around to showing interest in me again, and who knows I might die of something else before then in which case they can add me to their batting average as a 'cure'! 

:)

Dave

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 20:14
Hi nidge glad last session of chemo over for you, keep us posted. Take care jayne
User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 20:15

Just a suggestion but if you have questions go and see one of the nurse practitioners in urology at the DRI. They have been brilliant for me and if they think there are questions to answer they will usually make sure they sort it. I find them approachable, knowledgeable and willing. Well worth a try!

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 21:10

Really pleased your chemo has finished. Take good care of yourselves .

User
Posted 15 Jan 2016 at 16:30
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Well i think i realised that i will not have a lot of hospital support but didnt want to admit it

Thankfully i you lot to keep me going

My psa has gone up slightly

Cycle 2 was 0.015

Cycle 4 was 0.04

Cycle 6 is 0.03

Hi Nidge

Your psa seems to be bumbling along nicely in the unmeasurable zone. I dint take much notice of the small variations. Since June last year my psa has been .06, .07, .04, .03, .04, and .07 (Jan 11th). My consultations were 6 weekly but now gone up to 3 monthly. Onco seems happy. I don't lose sleep about these minute changes. Maybe I will when the rise to 1+

I'm still on the 3 monthly HT jabs and Enzalutamide tabs daily. What's next - who the hell knows, I'll take it when it comes

Take care Nidge, you'll be fine.

Paul

User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 14:32

Hi Nidge,

Good to hear you finished last chemo. I am about a session behind you with last one to be end of January. Seems strange but I think I will miss the routine of tests on wed and chemo on Friday. Have you any further tests afterwards ie MRI, Bone CAT? I think Dr W said, before she retired, that I was to get the scans again on completion. There's a new system in place at the hospital so I will be interested to see if I still get the scan. I am hoping to insist on it for peace of mind. MY PSA came down to 9.7 so I am still a bit concerned it isn't further down. At least SE were not as bad as I thought.

Steven

User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 17:00

Told me I will not get anymore scans as my PSA is that low nothing will show up on any scan
Dont know if this is true or not but I have been lead down the garden path I feel several times
Nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 18 Jan 2016 at 22:18

Nudge,
I asked when will I get scans again and was told only when psa rises because at the moments there's little to see. I was a little nervous about what is going on but came to the conclusion there's little I can do about it other than keep up with diet, exercise and keep motivated.
I must profess to be nervous about relying on psa results only but then probably the better comparator is how I feel and I'm using this.

Unfortunately at the moment I've done something to my knee (pain if I kneel down but none if I walk) so I'm not doing much running at the moment.